#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

"Found it but . . . Tether broke & dropped down into the tree! Maintenance needed."  this one just came in on one of cachestacker's caches.  Has anyone else noticed the flurry of Newbies throwing down the Needs maint and archive attributes lately?  I've had four in the last week and two were because they couldn't find them.

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

no, and that STINKS!

Posted Image

#3 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

Remember we were all newbies at one time.

• KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

Well, legitimately, at that point it DID need maintenance.  Nobody could reach it.  The original is there.... but replacement was made immediately thereafter and restored to good, findable condition.

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#5 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

yep.  I've noticed too (and was guilty when I was still a newbie at bad advice from a seasoned cacher and yes, BB, you called me out on it).  luckily tonight, cachestacker was within close walking distance to fix it.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#6 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

Well, I've noticed some 'Needs Mainenace' popping up by newbies too, but maybe it's better they log them this way then not logging their visit at all.... I know was guilty of that when I was a newbie.... Too humiliated to acknowledge publicly I couldn't find a cache ;)

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#7 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

my needs maintenance logs are for things it needs... not because i couldn't find it.  missing/full log was what i was called out on, so now i carry spare logs with me.  not always every size in my cache bag if i haven't replaced what i replaced.  but if i post one these days, it's really because it needs maintenance.

• KeyResults and Dhaulaghiri like this
Posted Image

#8 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

my needs maintenance logs are for things it needs... not because i couldn't find it.  missing/full log was what i was called out on, so now i carry spare logs with me.  not always every size in my cache bag if i haven't replaced what i replaced.  but if i post one these days, it's really because it needs maintenance.

Well, you're not a newbie anymore, so YOU know what you're doing!!!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#9 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

So what I am hearing here is that my assumption that after 40 caches I've seen it all and that any failure to finds are actually missing caches that need maintenance is wrong? Inconceivable! I reject your reality. :stirpot:

Edited by jrj8541, 23 August 2013 - 10:15 AM.

• Baytown Bert, TexasWriter and Dhaulaghiri like this

#10 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Off topic, but here is a newbie showing us what its all about,
as she finds her first cache in a park in Taylor Lake Village.

Attached Files

• Attached File  TLV.jpg   9.02KB   2 downloads

Edited by bbqbob2, 23 August 2013 - 10:25 AM.

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

#11 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

"Found it but . . . Tether broke & dropped down into the tree! Maintenance needed."  this one just came in on one of cachestacker's caches.  Has anyone else noticed the flurry of Newbies throwing down the Needs maint and archive attributes lately?  I've had four in the last week and two were because they couldn't find them.

At first I misread your subject line as "Shooting newbies from the hip" 8)  

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#12 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

At first I misread your subject line as "Shooting newbies from the hip" 8)  

That's what micros are for.

We found our first micro yesterday outside the Museum of Health Sciences.  I'm not sure that could be any smaller and have a log.

#13 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

We found our first micro yesterday outside the Museum of Health Sciences.  I'm not sure that could be any smaller and have a log.

i know that one!  and yes, they can get smaller....

Posted Image

#14 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

i know that one!  and yes, they can get smaller....

Sounds fun and yet awful at the same time.

I just want to go on record saying I don't like micros. We need more ammo can caches!

• green-eyed likes this

#15 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

micros are good for some things.  like urban areas.  can't hide an ammo can very well in a shopping or museum area.  and it's nice to be able to pick them up easily while you're out shopping or doing touristy things or with family, etc.  gets you a smiley and you don't have to get full of chigger bites doing it.  or in my case, i can stay dressed from work and go caching, but i have been known to be in the dirt and woods in a dress.

Posted Image

#16 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

micros are good for some things.  like urban areas.  can't hide an ammo can very well in a shopping or museum area.  and it's nice to be able to pick them up easily while you're out shopping or doing touristy things or with family, etc.  gets you a smiley and you don't have to get full of chigger bites doing it.  or in my case, i can stay dressed from work and go caching, but i have been known to be in the dirt and woods in a dress.

I get the stealth aspect of the micro but the problem is that it complicates the discovery aspect, which makes the person searching look even more suspicious.  You know the cache I was referring to so I felt crazy shady searching all over the fence line for that one.  You can only tie your cowboys boots so many times before people start to wonder.

• green-eyed likes this

#17 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

I get the stealth aspect of the micro but the problem is that it complicates the discovery aspect, which makes the person searching look even more suspicious.  You know the cache I was referring to so I felt crazy shady searching all over the fence line for that one.  You can only tie your cowboys boots so many times before people start to wonder.

funny enough, i did stoop down to "tie" my shoe and found it on the first try (while i was still a newbie).  the person who was with me that day actually tied my shoe for me while i signed the log and replaced it.  helped it was early on a saturday morning before most people were out and about.

Posted Image

#18 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

So what I am hearing here is that my assumption that after 40 caches I've seen it all and that any failure to finds are actually missing caches that need maintenance is wrong? Inconceivable! I reject your reality. :stirpot:

jrj8541 - I do believe that you'll fit into our caching family very nicely!    Very nicely indeed!!     :D

• cachestacker likes this
Posted Image

#19 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

This one just in by newbies with 6 finds: GC4JFXK

"Pretty sure hubby and I found the right spot with the hint. There was blue tape but nothing attached to it, so I'm guessing it fell down or was muggled."

• green-eyed likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#20 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,359 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:23 PM

We have several caches that are quite a hike to get to, so I cringe when I see the notes saying we need to go check it.  It's possible that we do, but a DNF would be sufficient.  Cachers shouldn't have the expectation that we are going to just keep going to check everytime that they can't find it in the middle of the summer for the really long hikes.   I think that we are pretty good at trying to maintain our caches, but we don't want to spend all of our free time chasing single DNFs of newbies..

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users