10 replies to this topic

#1 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Recently I got some logs for some of my trackables that say "Discovered on Instagram.  Thanks for sharing!"

I am a torn on this - since it doesn't cause the trackable to travel just that someone isn't really finding them in the real world, do I care?  Part of me No, if this is how the person wants to discover trackables that is up to them.  Part of me, Yes, it seems to be cheating like armchair caching.

I guess it isn't much different than being handed a list at an event and not really "discovering" the trackables at the event.  I usually take the printed pages as it is much easier to read the numbers and I am trusting that the trackables are there.

I don't have Instagram but am wondering if there is a way to track down where these images might be at and see about getting them deleted..... or is it worth the trouble?

Your thoughts...

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

I've logged a few I saw on the Internet, but feel the same as you on the whole idea of logging.  Take a look at the trackable's page and see if there is a photo showing the TB's number.  Its a long shot, but...  Then you could create an Instagram account and do a search for "trackables" or "Travel bugs" and see if you spot your TB.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:07 PM

Go to Google images and search trackables, TB, Bug, and geocoin and you can log a ton!

Posted Image

#4 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

it's cheating IMO.  I don't do it.  when someone hands me a sheet of paper, I only log the ones I actually saw in person, but didn't write down. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I only log ones I move and ones people have in their collections (and not even most of them) unless it's something really special.  I'll do nametags, t-shirts, cars, kayaks, etc. but unless I move them I usually don't log them.  The Baytown Block party would have been a bonanza for discoveries if I did that.  More than anything, I think I'm just too lazy to do it.  :P

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#6 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

I think my phone has about 15000 photos of tb's that I really need to log...They are photos I've actually taken at events or passing automobiles on the highway :)

I've fat-fingered or mangled some TB numbers several times and had the owners write me nasty messages telling me they are deleting my logs. So some folks really take their trackable logs seriously.

Personally, I don't give a rats. Sometimes, I wonder why I even bother with trackables at all except that some of the collections are cool to look at while attending events and such.

• Baytown Bert and TexasWriter like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

I had the same thing happen on one of my HGCS coins -- "Spotted on Instagram!".  I loaded the app and got an account to see if I could track it down, but I guess Instagram is like Twitter for pictures and you can only see pictures posted by people you "follow".  Without knowing who posted it, I'm out of luck.  My interest level waned at this point and I just let it go...

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 Quossum

Quossum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSouthwest

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:14 PM

I'm an Instegram fanatic and you can see pics of people you don't follow, you just have to use hash tags to search, as mentioned above. I wouldn't log coins that way, though, and if I took pictures of travelers, I would hide the tracking numbers properly.

#9 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

This goes back to how you play.  Some people don't like the discover logs they get from random people and some don't care.  Is it cheating?  Well the question is cheating on what.  No one really cares about your TB numbers except for the few challenge caches out there.  I am interested to know if there are any Jeep TB's on instagram.  I would love to get those numbers and put them in my database for recovery purposes.  I digress...I got one from a coin I sold on ebay that I forgot to cover in the pic.  It really was no big deal to me.  Just another one of many emails to delete.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

I agree with a couple of the comments above. To me, TB discoveries are just one more thing in geocaching that folks can take waaaaaay too seriously. It's not like we win money, power, or prestige based on our number of discoveries. Sure, there's a couple of challenges associated with number of TB's moved/discovered, but so what. There are hundreds of challenges from which to choose. I have about 75 geocoins in a couple of very nice display cases that my wife gave me, and they hang on my office wall. I don't take them to events because the cases mounted and the they're heavy. However, anyone can discover mine anytime they want. All they have to do is ask for the list (I usually offer it without them asking) and I'll send it to them electronically for easy processing in GSAK using the AddTrackables macro....or they can do it onsie, twosie....that's up to them. My two favorite TB's went MIA in the first year they were out on the geocaching circuit, so I don't put my coins out there for some idiot to toss in a drawer when they decided after a week of caching that they weren't into it anymore. The ones I have in the UK seem to do just fine, but not the ones I've had stay in the US. It is what it is, so I have adjusted in the way that seemed best to me. There's other stupid stuff that I'd rather get worked up about....like Baytown Bert PhotoShopping me into pictures he plucked off my Facebook page. Lol

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#11 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Yeah, after posting this and reading others replies I realized I really don't care.  The person who posted the trackables he found on Instagram is the only one and frankly if that is how they find them no biggie to me.  Like mentioned, I have been given lists from people which is easier to enter the numbers.  It is so hard to read the numbers on the trackables that I would prefer to get the list but then that might "cheating" if you don't actually see the TBs. 

I agree cheating on what so I am happy to have a list and go with the few I get numbers when I am out and about.  THanks for all your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users