• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:40 AM

So as I have been in California this week I must say that the collective level of swag is much better out west than it is in humble/kingwood. We don't do this for swag but my girls haven't seen anything they really wanted to trade for yet and out here I've seen several caches with great kid stuff and even cash in them. What gives?

I guess I need to make a few caches and load them up with some good kids stuff. Maybe a NE Houston family starter series is in the cards.
  • Baytown Bert likes this

#2 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

If you would like to take a hike along the Lone Star trail, we have a few out that have some nice swag for kids.  Be warned, however, that we have 3 boys and no girls. :peace:

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:01 AM

All the caches in California are subsidized by Nancy Pelosi's slush fund?

• ATMA likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

Caches around here used to have good swag but people got tired of either the cache getting stolen or people not trading evenly and started going to more micros instead.  I used to carry a swag bag for trade, but don't usually do so any more.   Of course, I don't have young kids any more either for it to matter much to me any more. 

Posted Image

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

I recently saw a log form a newbie that said "No good swag.  What's up with that?"  I used to think that way, to a degree, too.  Then I realized the thrill is in the hunt, not what's there.  That said, if there is good stuff, that's great.

In theory, if everyone traded up or traded even, swag should remain as good as a cache is started with.  But that just doesn't happen.  Anywhere.

I regularly stock some of mine, but cannot do it to all of them.  I have too many caches. 

Enjoy the hunts.  Consider swag a bonus.

Posted Image

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

I routinely look for swag-able items and throw them in my Jeep, but it's usually to stock my own caches.  :angel:  I love to find golf balls for this very reason.

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

there's a clear lake local cacher (don't know his name) who was out of the game for a while, but caught up with me in CVS recently after spotting my car travel bug.  he found out I have a 10 yr old sidekick and gave me a big bag full of swag that he makes himself.  there were some pretty cool items in there... powerdog02 likes to trade out or leave some of his new cool swag in caches big enough for them. 

that being said, we picked up a small handheld recorder as swag in a boy scout cache last week.  works too with fresh batteries.  wasn't going to take it, but I didn't feel like playing one-armed tetris to get it, the log and all the other little swag back into it.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#8 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Can you tell me more about this?  I've got a pretty crafty family and would love to hear some ideas of homemade swag people put in caches.

We loaded up on Target Dollar corral items today.  Going to look at placing a TB hotel nearish the IAH airport with nice swag and some organized TB containers for incoming/outgoing TBs all over the world.  I just need to find the right container now as I think I have a decent spot.

he found out I have a 10 yr old sidekick and gave me a big bag full of swag that he makes himself.  there were some pretty cool items in there...

#9 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:34 PM

Many people collect 'signature items'.  The most common of these are wooden nickels and pathtags.  But there are a zillion things you can make.  Check a google image search for ideas:  https://www.google.c...085.hhK7RwxEYXs

I've seen everything from poker chips to bottle caps that are made into fridge magnets, glass ladybugs, etc. etc.  

It may not be 'typical' swag, but something you can leave in all the caches in which it will fit.  And works to trade for another signature item.

Posted Image

#10 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Oh man... now I gotta talk my wife into another expense.  Some of those are too cool.  I like the wooden nickel idea.

Many people collect 'signature items'.  The most common of these are wooden nickels and pathtags.  But there are a zillion things you can make.  Check a google image search for ideas:  https://www.google.c...085.hhK7RwxEYXs

I've seen everything from poker chips to bottle caps that are made into fridge magnets, glass ladybugs, etc. etc.  

It may not be 'typical' swag, but something you can leave in all the caches in which it will fit.  And works to trade for another signature item.

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

Well, you can take a way like this:  http://www.instructa...Wooden-Nickels/

But most have them made at a place like this:  http://woodennickelg...ns.com/purchase

or this:  http://adstuit.com/ which is used by our own Baytown Bert, with info on his blog here:  http://baytownbert.b...l-geocoins.html

I know there are other places you can google.

Posted Image

#12 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

Can you tell me more about this?  I've got a pretty crafty family and would love to hear some ideas of homemade swag people put in caches.

We loaded up on Target Dollar corral items today.  Going to look at placing a TB hotel nearish the IAH airport with nice swag and some organized TB containers for incoming/outgoing TBs all over the world.  I just need to find the right container now as I think I have a decent spot.

he found out I have a 10 yr old sidekick and gave me a big bag full of swag that he makes himself.  there were some pretty cool items in there...

the swag this guy made is a mishmash of stuff.  there are evil eyes, dice, necklace pieces, etc.  he said he likes to go to antique and junk stores buying things he can make swag out of.  he has a little tag to go with most of the pieces, or he tries to sign them if big enough.  lots of random, but cool thing.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#13 CornDoll

CornDoll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

I scored a pocket knife recently from a cache in West Texas, it had the cacher's names embossed on the side. That was pretty cool and opened my eyes to the possibilities of promotional items that might appeal as swag for adults. I tend to like homemade items as well. In Colorado, I recently pulled out a hand-painted "path-tag" of the Colorado mountainside. Probably one of my favorite swag items ever.

We have four kids, and the 8 yr old, 10 and 11 yr old dont have a lot of interest in a lot of swag we've seen, and a lot of that has less to do with the condition of the swag in a cache. Maybe other, more arid regions dont have to deal with the humidity and rain we get here, and their swag doesn't get moldy. Little stuffed animals would appeal to the girls, but we usually find those in pretty gross shape. If poor swag really is prevalent here, my theory is its a vicious cycle: cachers here see a lot of degraded swag in containers and it doesn't encourage bothering with it. 

#14 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

I've left music CD's and DVD movies before in Ammo cans. I think that is pretty good swag.

TXGA SETX Representative

#15 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

I've left music CD's and DVD movies before in Ammo cans. I think that is pretty good swag.

Bert Does Baytown?

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

I do indeed.

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

I have small kids so we do look for larger containers so we can find them something to swap along our travels.  I got probably the best thing ever out of a cache yesterday - it was GC3P96X Milestones of a different Type cache and I traded a brand new pair beaded replacement bra straps in their package (a gift I was recently given) for a Fiestaware Christmas ornament.  I was very happy with the trade although I do have one more pair of beaded replacement bra straps left to trade.

Wooden coins - I purchased mine from this guy and was super pleased:  http://www.etsy.com/...shopheader-name

Crafty items - I have made some some small embroidered felt coins with an "R" on them. My son has made some dog tags where he beat our geoname or other slogans into them like FTF or Geocaching Rules!  That is a really fun project and kept him busy for hours hammering away and I think made for fun swag. 

The cutest crafty swag we have found is a small paper handmade book (like tiny dollhouse size).  We found it in a Bubberdad cache and it was really neat and of course one of my kids immediately lost it. 

• green-eyed likes this

#18 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

I like the *etsy* link you provided us R5.

I did View Carrie, when it was active, and found a cute coke bottle top magnet, with a scull in the bottle top.  It was a *day of the dead* skull, so it was very flowery.  I put it on my fridge,  Maxwell's Hammer had made about 60 of the magnets as her swag items.  I do path tags as well and have lots of those, which I leave in caches as well.  I will agree with others on this board, the hand made items, I keep and have a whole box of different hand made swag.  I really like the work people put into their personal items.

#19 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:10 PM

c383f4fc-c0e8-4777-bf81-5a981a78173b.jpg

Posted Image

#20 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Rambetta makes a very cool bottle cap.  I have a couple.  I need to drop one to share.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users