5 replies to this topic

#1 jrj8541

jrj8541

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Howdy,

My name is James and our famly started geocaching a few weeks ago.  We've been logging caches as a family and we're really excited about finding but no so excited about searching or DNFing.  Hopefully as we do this more we will get better, have less DNFs, and take the searching a lot better.  We've got some girly girls!

Anyways, glad to be here. We're thinking about coming to the Baytown shindig on Saturday but I look forward to meeting and caching with you guys.

If you have any great cache suggestions in the Houston area I would love to hear them.  We've mastered the lightpole skirt at this point! I just need to get them exposure to other kinds.  It looked like there was a good starter series in Katy but its been archived and abandoned. Any others you know about?

#2 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

if you kayak, there are tons of good kayak/canoe accessible caches in clear lake... 

since you're in humble, there is a great series in herman little park that is beginner friendly.  a few other caches also in the park, but not part of the series, lend to a variety of types to find.  if you have kids, then it would be great to start with to get them interested in heading off trail to make the find. http://coord.info/GC40AQV

you could also ride the metro rail in Houston.  Thot put out a good series of caches along the rail that you can do in one day on a pass or several at a time by foot.  his cache description pages even show you exactly where the cache is located.  the idea was to ride the rail and cache along the way.  it's the "choo choo" series (like this one:  http://coord.info/GC3980K )

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#3 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Hi and Welcome to this wonderful addiction hobby!

The whole Houston region is super newbie friendly and if there's one series I'd recommend for a new cacher it would be LogDawgs President-series in WG Jones State Forest (GC2NPAG).

It's a lot of caches to do in one go, but they are all relatively easy to find, terrain is not too hard and it's very divers in it's hides! And not to forget: IT'S FUN!

Also I recently (almost) finished the Warrior-series by TexasWriter (GC3QB5Q) over on the Northside of Beltway 8, easy terrain, lot's of cool hides, but some of them may be a little challenging for a newbie. (If you're interested I'm willing to go out with you guys, since I'm still missing a few, and it's really a cool series)

Finally, DO go to events, it's a great way to get to know local cachers and hear about the local conditions and local favorites!

I'm going to BaytownBert's CITO & Blockparty events, so maybe we'll see each other there!

Happy hunting!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#4 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:42 PM

Welcome!

That's cool the whole family is, sort of, into it; I definitely appreciate combing the areas more thoroughly with two pairs of eyes when we go out. Also, our around the dinner table conversations are slowly creeping from chatting about sumo-deadlift-high-pulls, (crossfit), to rants about muggles hanging near GZ & all of our crazy antics inbetween, (usually run-ins with nature like chiggers, birds, shrimp, security, and today my husband ran into a fellow cacher on a FTF attempt...and we've only been doing this for 2 months!). It's a shame we'll be caching in state parks around the Dallas area & will miss Bert's shin dig!

Oh! Doing some homework before venturing out to weed out DNF/Need Maintenance caches will make your adventures more fun. Plus, lately difficulty levels can be in the eye of the beholder...  :D

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#5 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of caching!!    Lots of great folks and we're always willing to jump in and help newcomers.  Ask and you shall receive!

Posted Image

#6 Wildbabe

Wildbabe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Well if you are in the Humble area there is a series of 23 that was created " to celebrate the first anniversary of the Woodland Hills Elementary Geocaching Club. Yes, this is what “WHEGCCFA” stands for (Woodland Hills Elementary GeoCaching Club First Anniversary)." It is a biking trail or it could be walked but it would take longer. Its a little bit more North East of Humble in the Kingwood area but it is kid friendly. Just make sure to bring plenty of water.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users