53 replies to this topic

#21 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Storage ideas for you.  I did it and my wifes Expedition EL still fits in the garage along with my Mustang. 

I've seen similar things - have a wood bed hanging from the ceiling, but still plenty of space for a kayak to hang.  that would probably work best! 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#22 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

My offer still stands....

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#23 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

and i'll try to take you up on it soon!  how much longer are you in Houston?  i have to plan around the weekends powerdog02 is with his muggle dad.  AND powerdog02 has a travel bug that he would like you to take with you for a European tour.  kirbydox has it for her trip to seattle and Canada next week first.

Edited by green-eyed, 07 August 2013 - 08:37 PM.

Posted Image

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

Storage ideas for you.  I did it and my wifes Expedition EL still fits in the garage along with my Mustang. 

I've seen similar things - have a wood bed hanging from the ceiling, but still plenty of space for a kayak to hang.  that would probably work best! 

Where have I seen that???  Oh yeah, my garage!

564768_3948863722819_49789408_n.jpg

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#25 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

We use a kayak hoist in our garage too that Stan put together.  It works pretty well.  Someone was telling me about something that Kirbydox has that lifts the kayak up onto the car's roof rack, but I haven't seen it.  

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#26 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:29 PM

ha ha ha... or should I say ho ho ho because Christmas is on the roof of my garage!

Posted Image

#27 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:36 PM

I have never been in an inflatable kayak but I have been in Davarle's inflatable boat.  It took forever to inflate and deflate.  I also felt like we sat too low in the boat and it just didn't feel that secure for a long ride.  I wouldn't feel as safe going in waters that had alligators in them.  For one, the alligator might take a bite or if you got a leak then you might be swimming with the alligators.  

Posted Image

#28 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

Here's her fine rack: a7b993c8-ff64-4f5a-89a3-693a5d9c1fce.jpg 

We use a kayak hoist in our garage too that Stan put together.  It works pretty well.  Someone was telling me about something that Kirbydox has that lifts the kayak up onto the car's roof rack, but I haven't seen it.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 08 August 2013 - 03:57 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#29 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

and i'll try to take you up on it soon!  how much longer are you in Houston?  i have to plan around the weekends powerdog02 is with his muggle dad.  AND powerdog02 has a travel bug that he would like you to take with you for a European tour.  kirbydox has it for her trip to seattle and Canada next week first.

Oh, we'll be around for a while.... At least until October. Rumor has it though we may even stay for another 2-3 years.... Must be the Texas weather ;)

Where have I seen that???  Oh yeah, my garage!

564768_3948863722819_49789408_n.jpg

Hey, is that a 12' kayak I see???? :P

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#30 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

Oh, we'll be around at least until the end of October. Rumor even has it we might stick around for another couple of years though....
  • HoustonControl and green-eyed like this

#31 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

I was really worried about storage since our walls are filled with shelves, tools, bike, etc and we really like to fit the cars INTO the garage. We actually managed quite nicely and I can still get the cars in the garage with no scrapes. The cradle is low enough for me to lift the yak up for storage with no problem. 

02b9727f-b0b8-4291-ba29-9b9d9232d75b.jpg

#32 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Donna, is this the "after" picture when you drove into the garage with the kayak and rack still on the roof?

And, no, pictures of my too-full-to-be-used garage will not be forthcoming.

#33 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

Donna, is this the "after" picture when you drove into the garage with the kayak and rack still on the roof?

Never tried it with yak on top. Just the yak rack was enough to scrape the dirt off the bottom of the garage door.  :D  I quit while I was ahead. I just take the yak rack off the roof rack now BEFORE parking and that keeps Scott happy. My side of the garage is pretty clean and organized. There is no way I'm showing you Scott's side. He keeps resisting my efforts to organize it.  ::)

#34 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

Never tried it with yak on top. Just the yak rack was enough to scrape the dirt off the bottom of the garage door.  :D  I quit while I was ahead. I just take the yak rack off the roof rack now BEFORE parking and that keeps Scott happy. My side of the garage is pretty clean and organized. There is no way I'm showing you Scott's side. He keeps resisting my efforts to organize it.  ::)

I understand there's a line painted down the middle.  Just sayin'

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#35 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

I remember the fellow with the inflatable kayak on the nighttime paddling event. He was working for everything he got. A lot of work.

TXGA SETX Representative

#36 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Seems like Im the only one that goes "turtle" or admits to it :stirpot:

#37 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Seems like Im the only one that goes "turtle" or admits to it :stirpot:

You're not the only one, nor the only one that admits to it.  But you, by far, have the record.  :2funny:

Posted Image

#38 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

I remember the fellow with the inflatable kayak on the nighttime paddling event. He was working for everything he got. A lot of work.

From every time I've been on the water with somebody in one, that is pretty much the way they are.  They are good for playing around on still water or going on slow moving water.  I will say the one's REI carries are the best I've seen.  If you get the full package, the kayak can be set up as a singly or tandem has a metal backbone that keeps it rigid.  Compact for transport and storage, but for the price, you could by a medium priced hard side boat. 

For $1200 you can get some very nice light hard side boats that weigh 40 lbs.  And there are various rack options that are cheaper than Kirbydox's nice setup that also minimise lifting.  

Edited by Great Birds, 08 August 2013 - 08:26 PM.

• green-eyed likes this

#39 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Kirbydox's rack is truly amazing.

My two cents on the subject is an injury is temporary, kayaks are an investment, (I say this after 5+ month IT Band Injury).

Either put all your eggs in the basket once you're healed up, or take with Pinky's & spend $150 a year like we do.  :)

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#40 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Kirbydox's rack is truly amazing.

My two cents on the subject is an injury is temporary, kayaks are an investment, (I say this after 5+ month IT Band Injury).

Either put all your eggs in the basket once you're healed up, or take with Pinky's & spend $150 a year like we do.  :)

unfortunately, my shoulders aren't as simple as injury...actually, i'm jealous of people who have regular injuries because they get through it easier than i do.  this is my second surgery and was waaaay more extensive than the first.  will take a year to heal completely, but i'll still have to be "gentle" with what i do.

i did email the guy who did the nighttime event in the same inflatable i was looking at.  he said he knew he was slower than the others, but has never had a puncture or problem.  sits a little lower and doesn't use the same normal kayak stroke being in the inflatable.  the REI inflatables look amazing... i really like the idea of being able to pack it up and store it in your trunk without worrying about locking it up, etc.  but we'll see what i do later.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users