#21 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

Thanks, Kenny.  As you can probably tell, I don't use Geosphere a lot.  I tried using it at the Block Party last summer and it wouldn't connect to the GC.com server and it frustrated me to the point of giving up on it.  Turns out, it was a GC.com issue, not the app.

A phone workshop would be nice!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#22 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

Kenny beat me to it, but anytime you pull in a GPX or a PQ, Geosphere will use it as a list of caches and then pull real time info on them.

I've written a GSAK macro that imports all my PQs and does database maintenance and then exports fresh GPX files to Dropbox every morning. All I do is import into Geosphere and I'm good to go.

And now we are branching into phone caching and are off the c:geo topic.
Posted Image

#23 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

I have a vague idea that pocket queries do something fancy with a filetype I don't know how to use, probably involving an actual GPSr, which I don't have. :P So I'm just using it as an easy way to do searches a little more involved than c:geo normally does.

As far as I can figure, c:geo only lets you use one filter at a time for your search results. There's not a(n obvious) way to search for "the 20 closest caches that are traditional, EarthCache, letterbox, or multi-cache; I haven't found, don't own, and are enabled; are no more than 2.5/3 d/t; don't have attributes involving access fees, climbing, swimming, falling rocks, dangerous areas, hunting, abandoned mines, long hikes, people's front yards, or UV lights; and don't specifically say they're not recommended for kids." But I can save a pocket query that does exactly that, and then open it on my phone whenever the kids and I are out and about and wanting to find a geocache. :)

I'm just not sure if it's doing a new search every time I open it in c:geo, or if it's pulling saved results that it got the last time the pq was run.

I would like to chime in here and say that in Geosphere you can run most of these filters too! It's one of the reasons I didn't switch to android when I was seriously considering it. Those filters are way handy. The only thing it's missing is filtering on attributes (which you list a lot of!)

But since GC limits the number of PQs you can run, I don't run PQs based on those types of filters. I will filter atts in GSAK if needed (mainly for challenges)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users