#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:56 AM

How do I make the arrow point and the map read in the actual direction I am traveling instead of the default setting of opposite?

Edited by Baytown Bert, 06 August 2013 - 05:57 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:39 AM

I believe the map is set to always have up be north and the arrow rotates to reflect direction of travel.  The version of Google Maps that it uses does not have the option (to my knowledge) of locking up as direction of travel.  Only thing I could recommend would be to find a different mapping program and access it under the radar option.  Just a thought.

Eagle

Posted Image

#3 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

You can't really.

However if you launch the compass you can set to use the internal compass rather than relying on sats and movement.

Alternatively... There is Locus. I actually bought the program and think it's pretty darn awesome. It's like the GSAK of mapping programs.
It's a little complex to use but pretty much does everything.. Geocaching included. It supports offline vector maps.. GSAK databases.. etc.

... like I said though.. it takes some time to learn.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#4 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

On the subject of C:geo - I am getting coordinates that are slightly different from the Geocaching web pages. Not a lot different: something like XX XX.125 XXX XX.225 vs XX XX.136 XXX XX.216. This is the kind of thing I keep seeing. I don't much trust C:geo anymore. This throws you off just enough that finding the cache is really hard. I don't have any idea if I might have altered something or what. Does anyone else see this sort of thing? The coordinates are so close that I don't think I have a different format.

#5 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Make sure that C:Geo is getting signed into GC.com correctly.  If you are not signed in GC.com will build in a little bit of error to prevent muggles from being able to find the cache.  

Eagle

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#6 michelleepotter

michelleepotter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have a question about pocket queries and c:geo. I have figured out that I can set up a pocket query on geocaching.com, and then go into c:geo and view it. This does not appear to be "running" the pocket query, as it still says the query has never been run. I don't want it to email me the file, so I didn't check off any days for the query to run when I set it up. Will the list in c:geo update if new caches are added that meet the criteria, even if the query is never run? Am I explaining my question well? I find this a bit confusing.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=2a6c0f5

"Let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap-bang in the middle of town, what do they do? Walk past it. Now stop your nagging. Let's go and explore." -- 9th Doctor

#7 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,180 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

On the subject of C:geo - I am getting coordinates that are slightly different from the Geocaching web pages. Not a lot different: something like XX XX.125 XXX XX.225 vs XX XX.136 XXX XX.216. This is the kind of thing I keep seeing. I don't much trust C:geo anymore. This throws you off just enough that finding the cache is really hard. I don't have any idea if I might have altered something or what. Does anyone else see this sort of thing? The coordinates are so close that I don't think I have a different format.

You might also check to see if your setting is for WGS84 and not something else.

Posted Image

#8 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

I use a different phone and app, so I cannot speculate. There are a bunch of C:Geo folks on the board and one of em should be along shortly...It'll take a little getting used to, but it will be well worth learning your apps capabilities. Here's where an event really helps answer a lot of questions since y'all can whip em out and play with 'em. 

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,261 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

This may be naive on my part, but why run a PQ on your Smartphone?

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 michelleepotter

michelleepotter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

I have a vague idea that pocket queries do something fancy with a filetype I don't know how to use, probably involving an actual GPSr, which I don't have. :P So I'm just using it as an easy way to do searches a little more involved than c:geo normally does.

As far as I can figure, c:geo only lets you use one filter at a time for your search results. There's not a(n obvious) way to search for "the 20 closest caches that are traditional, EarthCache, letterbox, or multi-cache; I haven't found, don't own, and are enabled; are no more than 2.5/3 d/t; don't have attributes involving access fees, climbing, swimming, falling rocks, dangerous areas, hunting, abandoned mines, long hikes, people's front yards, or UV lights; and don't specifically say they're not recommended for kids." But I can save a pocket query that does exactly that, and then open it on my phone whenever the kids and I are out and about and wanting to find a geocache. :) 

I'm just not sure if it's doing a new search every time I open it in c:geo, or if it's pulling saved results that it got the last time the pq was run.

"Let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap-bang in the middle of town, what do they do? Walk past it. Now stop your nagging. Let's go and explore." -- 9th Doctor

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

My guess is it's the latter.  With Geosphere, I have to run a pq, then save it to dropbox and import it into the app.  If I go back to the app a week later and pull it in again, it's just getting the same data as last time.  I'd need to go back to GC.com and rerun the pq (and resave it to dropbox) to get new results.  If I had a pq set to run every day, I could use the GC.com app to pull it in by touching the Pocket Queries target from the main screen -- THAT would get new results everytime the pq ran (in this case, daily).

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#12 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

This may be naive on my part, but why run a PQ on your Smartphone?

C:geo will run the PQ from GC.Com and allow you to store the results locally on your phone (assuming someone is using a phone to cache with). I almost never use that function as I can see caches live with C:Geo and dont need to load them on the phone. I guess it could be handy if you are going out of a service area and know you will drop the signal.

Hummmmm.

Posted Image

#13 michelleepotter

michelleepotter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

This isn't saving anything locally to my phone. I'm not saving or importing any files, and it's not available offline. It's also not "running" the pq -- all of my queries still say that they have never been run, even though I've pulled them up on c:geo multiple times each. I think it's more like when you click on the magnifying glass next to a pq on the website and it shows you a preview. The only advantage that I'm getting over just looking at the "Nearby" button is that it's a very specific search.

#14 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

When you see the list of caches on the pq screen then hit menu and choose save locally. It will then store the displayed results to your phone. Btw it will only display 20 results, you must hit the more button to get them all.

You are just about as well off to download a gpx file to the phone and import it to cgeo.
Posted Image

#15 michelleepotter

michelleepotter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

But what would be the advantage of saving it locally? Then it's old information.

#16 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

My only thought would be in case you were out in the sticks with no cell service (cant ever have enough backups). I only use cgeo to see more logs than I have loaded on my GPS if I am having a hard time finding a cache as I don't use my phone to cache with.

I only use PQ's to add new caches to my GSAK database when they are published.

Edited by ClanStan, 04 March 2014 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image

#17 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:12 PM

Slightly off-topic for a minute...sorry...

My guess is it's the latter.  With Geosphere, I have to run a pq, then save it to dropbox and import it into the app.  If I go back to the app a week later and pull it in again, it's just getting the same data as last time.  I'd need to go back to GC.com and rerun the pq (and resave it to dropbox) to get new results.  If I had a pq set to run every day, I could use the GC.com app to pull it in by touching the Pocket Queries target from the main screen -- THAT would get new results everytime the pq ran (in this case, daily).

HC~

We need to play around with this stuff next time we're together. Geosphere now has both the ability to scoop in real-time, and also to grab PQ's ready for download directly now. It's pretty convenient. Go into the user profile area and you'll see Pocket Queries, when selected it'll hit your downloadable PQ's and even distinguishes the old from the fresh, then asks which group to store them. There are some other goodies in there too...ie, trackables, etc. Anytime you want to you can also "update" any filter of caches in real-time to pull status changes and newer logs, etc. The only thing it cannot do is pull "newly published" caches outside of a small area fast. It's actually easier to hop on phone browser in a pinch and...well...queue up a Pocket Query, wait a couple minutes, then grab it from within the app.

Sorry about the branch...but I wanted to mention this handy change for those who were unaware. We really do need to have a phone caching workshop don't we?

• GASTX and Jhawk! like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#18 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

Sorry about the branch...but I wanted to mention this handy change for those who were unaware. We really do need to have a phone caching workshop don't we?

And a GSAK one as well

Posted Image

#19 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

My only thought would be in case you were out in the sticks with no cell service (cant ever have enough backups). I only use cgeo to see more logs than I have loaded on my GPS if I am having a hard time finding a cache as I don't use my phone to cache with.

I only use PQ's to add new caches to my GSAK database when they are published.

Get T-Mobile as your service provider and you will totally understand. /sigh

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#20 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

HC~

We need to play around with this stuff next time we're together. Geosphere now has both the ability to scoop in real-time, and also to grab PQ's ready for download directly now. It's pretty convenient. Go into the user profile area and you'll see Pocket Queries, when selected it'll hit your downloadable PQ's and even distinguishes the old from the fresh, then asks which group to store them. There are some other goodies in there too...ie, trackables, etc. Anytime you want to you can also "update" any filter of caches in real-time to pull status changes and newer logs, etc. The only thing it cannot do is pull "newly published" caches outside of a small area fast. It's actually easier to hop on phone browser in a pinch and...well...queue up a Pocket Query, wait a couple minutes, then grab it from within the app.

Yes, please! 

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users