#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

I just received my order of Timberland boots by UPS.  This is my third order in 5 years of the very same model.  They are very durable, comfortable, waterproof, and the best danged boot I've ever worn.  My second pair is 50% gone and I do not want to wait until they are in tatters before I try to get another pair.

41IkAcEvlaL.jpg

What do you wear (Other than high heels by a certain green-eyed cacher) and what hasn't worked for you?

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

lmao.  see... I wasn't sure I needed to click on this thread... glad I did so I could comment!!

I also wear converse in a variety of colors, including silver sequins.  Not just for urban caching...I have been known to step in mud in them in fields.  Sandals of all varieties, but I don't usually wear flip flops.  Cachestacker and Kirbydox both were present last week while I cached in a dress and flat leather sandals in the woods full of rebar and concrete.  Now, if I plan it accordingly, I will wear rugged running shoes or hiking shoes (such as the CITO in Cullen Park or while camping at Martin Dies SP).  I need to get hiking boots for venturing into GBP during the summer.  For the ladies, J-14 shoes and sandals are super comfy with a rugged sole and good looks.  :coolsmiley:

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

I've had a couple of pair of the Timberlands and were really disappointed with the second pair.  They changed the design of the "quick lace" hooks at the top from one with double-rivets to a single rivet design, like you have pictured.  The single rivet ones began pulling out of the leather after I had only had the boots a few months (note the picture on the right and the hole at the top).  I need another pair but am hesitant to buy any with the cheap hooks.

One other difference, the first pair had a mesh-type panel on the side that allowed cactus needles to pass through easily.  I found this out the hard way while hiking at Enchanted Rock.

cbfbc350-9c5f-4288-80cd-eb313974b124.jpg

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

A quick search online and I'm leaning towards this one:  http://www.amazon.co... chocorua trail

Edited by HoustonControl, 31 July 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

HC:  Timberland Men's White Ledge Boot   Shipment Total: $71.70

Edited by Baytown Bert, 31 July 2013 - 06:00 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

HC:  Timberland Men's White Ledge Boot

But that one has the cheap hooks that pull out of the leather... at least that's the kind in your picture.

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Not on my watch.

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own.  I just ordered the one's I linked to from Amazon.  Buying new boots had been on my "to-do" list for a while, so thanks for getting me off my duff!

• green-eyed likes this

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Good deal.  They look like excellent boots.  Goretex is good stuff.

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

I just bought these and I do plan on caching in them once I'm back to dancing and the such:  http://www.dsw.com/s...egoryName=women

a little grass and mud on the heel never stopped me.

Edited by green-eyed, 31 July 2013 - 07:19 PM.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#11 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Vasque Sundowners were just brought back into production!

(And they come in Size 16 !!! ) yeah baby! Waterproof breathable GoreTex.

A bit $$$ but they'll last you way longer than your Michelins (great vehicle tires)
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#12 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Vasque has been making great hiking boots since the 70's, one of my favorites in college.

#13 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Does anyone know of hiking boots for men in narrow sizes?  And I don't mean a B width.  My brother in law used to claim that I had water skis for feet (11 1/2 AA).

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:35 AM

I just replaced my Keen boots with a pair of Oboz from REI, and I think they are fantastic. For someone who struggles with falling arches and planter fascitis, arch support and comfort for long periods of wear are very important. The easy lacing and waterproof nature of these boots are excellent. Just my .02....

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#15 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:30 AM

I have wide feet and the Keens seem to be the only shoes that truly fit my foot well. It sucks they're not cheap.
http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B005CSE326/

They have a style that has a two piece sole. I've had 4 pairs with this sole and each set the soles eventually separated. I haven't had the problem with the ones linked above.
So if you are considering Keens don't buy the ones that have this sole design. The black tread portion is just a thin rubber piece thats glued to the bottom. It will start separating on the thinner parts that wrap up around the arch and heel.
815D0PocnjL._SY500_.jpg

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#16 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

Sole separation is apparently a problem for many brands these days. For the best brands that are more durable here's the brands the German Alpine folks depend on. Some of these brands may not be easy to find in USA but rest assured they are as good as it gets outside custom handmade boots.
http://www.sport-sch...13141ff387a7ca0
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#17 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

Sole separation is apparently a problem for many brands these days. For the best brands that are more durable here's the brands the German Alpine folks depend on. Some of these brands may not be easy to find in USA but rest assured they are as good as it gets outside custom handmade boots.

Gosh, for 280€ ($370), I could buy 5 pairs of the Timberlines and just replace them as the soles separated.

#18 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:06 AM

Those German boots look like mountian wear. What we need here is good support, ankle protection, and water-proofing more than anything, right?

TXGA SETX Representative

#19 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

I've sworn with Meindl alpine boots for quite some time now, I'm into my second pair now and that's only been the second in about 15 years!!!

Talking about durability ;)

They are pretty expensive , but then again they are also VERY comfortable, durable and waterproof. The only downside to me so far, is their weight... almost 1.2 kilo's a piece! On the up side, I can also go mountaineering with them :)

http://www.bever.nl/...fekt-3d42xx0004

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#20 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:29 AM

I am glad I clicked on this thread... I have a feet problems and have really debated on what type of hiking boots to get.  I have had surgery on both feet for plantar facitis so seeing TexasWriter has found something that works I am going to see if they make womens pairs.  So far I have been switching between Nike tennis shoes and Merrel hiking shoes but both are at the point of needing replacement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users