• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Public Service Announcement

Ah, thanks!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#42 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

You're welcome.  :cheers:

#43 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

And here I thought Bert had gone in for a Prostate-Specific Antigen test... :coolsmiley:

• Baytown Bert likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#44 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

I agree I think it would be good to have a place to say where you are going, especially if you are going alone.  I should probably start coming here to at least post here when I go alone and then tell friends that if I am not around for a while to check here in case something happened.  I was irritated at myself last year thinking I should know better when I twisted my ankle and fell as I had gotten started doing some of the monopoly caches in Bear Creek last year.  THe dogs stuck nearby in fact Abbey helped me get up... then I saw a snake as I headed back to the truck.  I was so thankful I didn't see it the same time I fell.  It was a cottonmouth... at least I am pretty sure of it.

#45 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

c:geo can post to twitter the link to the cache you just found.
You could use Google Latitude or Glympse to notify your peeps of your location.

Many different ways to go about this.. but just a thought.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#46 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

I will have to check into Google Latitude and Glympse.  I have never used Twitter.... just don't want to start one more thing that is a time suck in my life.  I know what hash tags are # but not sure why or how they use them.  Suppose I should join the rest of the world on some of these things but for now I have managed without Twitter.

#47 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

Sadly, Google Latitude was retired Aug 9th :(

https://support.goog...r/3001634?hl=en

Kelly and I have found that Motion-X GPS, smartphone app, has a pretty cool live update feature that is very handy for letting others know exactly where you are in near real-time (30 second pings) as long as they have access to a browser. It will also send email, sms, social net position updates too if you wish. Free once you have the app. Friends don't need to have the app to keep tabs on you. Fairly easy on the battery and runs in the background in optimized mode. Not an advertisement, but it did work pretty well for us as recently as 2 weeks ago. 

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#48 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Here's an update on my day of infamy.  Apparently, I did not sign - or maybe even find the 6th and last cache in the new series by theBasty that day before I went down and almost killed myself bush whacking through the reeds.  The Craziestcatlady found a blank log on #6.  I remember each cache and remember signing every log in vivid detail, but the proof is not there.  Through about 20 emails and a couple of videos from her, I've withdrawn my FTF on #6 and for sure, there is no contest or hard feelings.  it is a grand (and amazing) mystery to me and I just have to go back to Anahuac, most likely in the morning to see if what I remember is true.  Anyone want to tag along?  There are a lot of caches to be found.

TXGA SETX Representative

#49 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

I will have to check into Google Latitude and Glympse.  I have never used Twitter.... just don't want to start one more thing that is a time suck in my life.  I know what hash tags are # but not sure why or how they use them.  Suppose I should join the rest of the world on some of these things but for now I have managed without Twitter.

I only mention twitter because the feature is built into c:geo. I have twitter account only because I was testing that feature. I have 16 tweets from 2011 :)

Sadly, Google Latitude was retired Aug 9th :(

https://support.goog...r/3001634?hl=en

Kelly and I have found that Motion-X GPS, smartphone app, has a pretty cool live update feature that is very handy for letting others know exactly where you are in near real-time (30 second pings) as long as they have access to a browser. It will also send email, sms, social net position updates too if you wish. Free once you have the app. Friends don't need to have the app to keep tabs on you. Fairly easy on the battery and runs in the background in optimized mode. Not an advertisement, but it did work pretty well for us as recently as 2 weeks ago. 

You're absolutely right... I'm not sure where Google is going these days... I think all their good developers and thinkers have left. I'm still butt hurt about iGoogle...

I guess if you wanted Latitude you could use the G+ app.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#50 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,390 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

If you are going out alone, especially if you are a woman, I would be very careful about posting on a public page that you are going to be alone.  That's just advertising trouble.  Even logging real time (which we often do) can tell others where you are and they can predict where you are going.  I know this is true because we've had cache owners or others watching caches catch up with us while we were caching. 

• Team Troglodyte likes this
Posted Image

#51 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

Well, it's true - heat exhaustion...  Here is my log from GC4GV3A:  Co-2TF! Rambetta and I met up so I could get a look at this cache and her to find the series. I walked straight to it and held it in my hand and looked at her and said, "Dang. I thought I signed this. I must have been seriously out of my mind the first time I was here." LOL BB no sign log, BB no get FTF! Hey, it's a game folks and a grand one at that! Took a victory photo of Rambetta and I to share! SLTFTC! Note: On the long walk back, a very dark-furred river otter ran across the road in front of us! Woot!

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users