Posted Image

#22 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

You should have your own cable show. I suffered some serious water dehydration going for a FTF Trophy cache. I did find it but paid the price of have to sit down even though the car was only 100 feet away. I even pasted a pond with water it in and was tempted but thought better of it. It was 104 degrees that day and luckily there was a convenience store nearby so I could get some Gatorade.

Edited by SockPuppet, 29 July 2013 - 12:12 PM.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#23 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I got pretty worn out and overheated doing Bert's Brawndo series in the middle of summer:  Genuine BaytownBert-style video here!

I'm more of a wintertime guy and tend to hibernate in the AC in the summertime, so I'm sure I wasn't as acclimated as I could have been.

• amberita13 likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#24 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Brazos Bend Endurance Series was voted "Most Physically Challenging Series" 2009 by the Houston Geocaching Society.  Brazos Bend State Park is 30 miles south of Houston, Texas.  We are doing in June with a temperature 90+ degrees and high humidity.

TXGA SETX Representative

#25 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Bert, my friend, I am so glad you're ok! Next time, give me a ring. I'll head over to your side of town to work some of those romote caches, don't do those alone!

Saying that, I cached on Stone Mountain (GA) today for a little over three hours, solo. While my water held out as I hiked to the top, it was hot and I barely made it with any.  I asked if tennis shoes were ok or should I grab my hiking boots, how a bout a stick?  Oh no, tennies and no stick is fine - weeeeell, that's only if you stick to the people path, which of course I didn't.

Instead of pretty much going straight up, which should have taken 30 minutes, I went around and up a bit, around and up a bit.... caching my way.  After about two hours, the heat was getting to me - stopped sweating, headache, stars - so I started to take breaks often as there alone with not a sole around. Slipped once, bout gave a me a heart attack, and kept making my way.  I'm almost to the top and  WHAT THE?!  a fence. CRUD!    Apparently I'm not the first needing to get on the other side as I found a section that was pushed down with rocks next to it to allow you to step over.  After about another 15 mintues, I was at the top.  Needless to say, I filled my water bottle twice and then proceeded to take the skytram down.   I'm beat, just ate and am going to read for a bit before I hit the sack early before heading out to my next adventure.     My knucklehead day, should have gone with the gut; hiking boots, stick and camelbak.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#26 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I love Stone Mountain!  I went to high school just north of there in Cherokee County.  We are all guilty of this dangerous behavior, LOL and that is why I came forward.  I took it easy yesterday and my Bride returned last night from a sabatical and watched my video.  She scolded me, but today, we were over in Hitman territory and I was getting a 100 degree reading.  She decided we needed to walk this 2 mile course and I told her I hadn't really recovered from Tha Basty territory.  "Oh, come on, you can make it, can't you?"  We did it and now, I am once again pooped.  It didn't stop me from taking this victory leap on cache number 22 though.  LOL

Geocaching7-29-1337_zpsf1633de7.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert, 29 July 2013 - 05:14 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#27 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

I think to qualify as a leap, both feet need to be off the ground.

• georeyna and Baytown Bert like this

#28 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

Ha!
Posted Image

#29 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

As long as you are OK Bert, that is what is important.  We all do it, and we will do it again and again.  Infact, since I have been a cacher, I have done it about 5 times total to where I could see my relatives calling me across the bridge!! LOL!!  I guess another thing is we can post on this site to let everyone know where one is going.  For example, Bert can mention an area he will be at, for eg GBP:, maybe a mashup can happen, but if not everyone is alerted that Bert is in GBP park, etc.  It is a great way for all of us to check on each other.

A cacher did pass on a caching expedition last year in another state.  The family was concerned but the area geocachers knew where he went, because he relayed he was gonna try for certain caches.  The geocachers in the area helped the family and located the cacher, he passed, but the geocacching family found him before the authorities did.  Like I said, maybe we can set up a thread called..I am gonna cache in: GBP, and just keep it running...a good safety net for everyone, in case one of us ends up missing.  Just an idea.

#30 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:21 AM

A lot of times I'll post in the shoutbox where I'm going for the day in hopes that I'll meet up with other cachers.

TXGA SETX Representative

#31 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

I notice that this thread now has the "Hot" tag.  Seems only appropriate.

#32 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

With the August streak challenge coming up, I would suggest that cachers do some mash-ups before going after the high terrain, bushwacking caches so that you are at least not doing them alone in the August heat.   It's always fun to cache with others any way. 

Posted Image

#33 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

The meteorologist on KPRC stated this morning that for the next two months we will be entering the hottest part of summer.  Maybe its just me, but I was thinking we are already there.

TXGA SETX Representative

#34 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

The average high temperature in Houston peaks around August 1st, but yeah, it's not like the first blue norther blows in on August 2nd...

http://www.intellica...ry.aspx?month=8

#35 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

The meteorologist on KPRC stated this morning that for the next two months we will be entering the hottest part of summer.  Maybe its just me, but I was thinking we are already there.

the report i heard him say this morning was that come august 20-ish, we'd be "cooling" down again... about a degree.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#36 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

the report i heard him say this morning was that come august 20-ish, we'd be "cooling" down again... about a degree.

That's about right.  Last time I looked at the long term averages, August 17 was the day temps start trending down, and January 20 is the date they begin an upward trend.  May have changed a day one way or the other but I doubt there's been any significant change.

#37 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

As long as you are OK Bert, that is what is important.  We all do it, and we will do it again and again.  Infact, since I have been a cacher, I have done it about 5 times total to where I could see my relatives calling me across the bridge!! LOL!!  I guess another thing is we can post on this site to let everyone know where one is going.  For example, Bert can mention an area he will be at, for eg GBP:, maybe a mashup can happen, but if not everyone is alerted that Bert is in GBP park, etc.  It is a great way for all of us to check on each other.

A cacher did pass on a caching expedition last year in another state.  The family was concerned but the area geocachers knew where he went, because he relayed he was gonna try for certain caches.  The geocachers in the area helped the family and located the cacher, he passed, but the geocacching family found him before the authorities did.  Like I said, maybe we can set up a thread called..I am gonna cache in: GBP, and just keep it running...a good safety net for everyone, in case one of us ends up missing.  Just an idea.

I agree with this one. I went out kayaking over on the new CLAPS by myself today and I told my wife, I put up a mash up and had invited some other friends to join, so a lot of people knew where to go looking for me if I hadn't returned to safety. (Not to mention Pinky of course, I guess he would have gone looking for his missing 'yak, LOL)

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#38 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think I am through kayaking our waters solo, however, I do not criticize anyone who chooses to do it.  I've got to start thinking about what would and could happen if no one knows where I am.  Walking up on the hidden drug cache is another example of how things can go south.  We are the new generations of outdoorsmen (women).  We spend more time in the woods and secluded areas than just about anyone and alligators and snakes are seriously, the least of our worries.  There are many dangers out there besides heat exhaustion.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 30 July 2013 - 05:11 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#39 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

I agree Bert, I started out at Big Island Slough and felt a bit alone out there at first.

As soon as I got near the Nature Center though I started seeing more other people and I knew the terrain there so I felt a little more at ease. At the end of the day I was just thinking about getting my behind back to Pinky's and honestly NEXT time I go out there I'm not gonna paddle all the way back over Mud Lake AGAIN..... my neck & shoulders hurt like a SOB now!

I did manage to grab 39 caches today however, and that includes two of the CLAPS challenges, so even though my body tells me a little differently I feel pretty pleased with myself. Even managed to do a 2.5 mile run on the treadmill while my wife was enjoying her spinning class... guess who will be sleeping like a baby tonight??

By the way, what does PSA mean? I don't know that acronym....

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#40 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Public Service Announcement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users