17 replies to this topic

#1 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

I see a new version of the iPhone app. Did android get one too?

So I guess this means they haven't totally abandoned the platform.

Anybody know any more? Better developer program coming soon perhaps?
Posted Image

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

I used Urwigo for the last Wherigo I made.  Yeah, the webpage is in Czech, but you can choose English from the language drop-down menu.  The program itself is in English -- or at least the version I downloaded is.

Urwigo is much more stable than the Wherigo builder and fairly straightforward for a simple WIG.  I haven't tried anything complicated since the first one I built because there's too much variation in how the players on different devices handle each cartridge.  Plus I don't have much imagination!

Edited by HoustonControl, 28 July 2013 - 11:30 AM.

• ATMA likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

I still haven't done the WIG over by Pinky's.

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

What?  yet another update to the Whereigo app?  They are spending some money on Whereigo. This is indeed good news.

• ATMA likes this
Posted Image

#5 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

....I don't have much imagination!

I know what you're gonna ask for when we get to see the Wizard, Mr. Scarecrow. :laugh:  

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#6 cajunabear

cajunabear

• Senior Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Location77069

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

I still haven't done the WIG over by Pinky's.

Another thing to put on my geocaching bucket list, been ages since I have done a whereigo.

Now that we have exhausted all the possibilities ... Let's get started.

#7 rathergohiking

rathergohiking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

I downloaded the Whereigo app to my iPhone a few months ago and was surprised to see a Wherigo cache that I created several years ago listed on the app image - second one down "Got Benchmark?". 

Got Benchmark?

http://www.geocachin...b1-9a6de0f0086f

Wherigo app image is at the bottom of the cache page and on the background section of the cache page.

Edited by rathergohiking, 30 July 2013 - 03:38 PM.

• cajunabear likes this

Not all who wander are lost......JRR Tolkien

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:42 PM

We did A day in the Park today and found it a bit confusing.  The 3 I've done before were by HC and at each zone when I arrived, it told me I did and then asked me if I wanted to go to the next one.  A day in the park showed me I arrived, but nothing else, even after waiting.  I would then hit the back button and get a list, so this is how I proceeded.  We ended up at the bathroom and it then asked if if I wanted to exit and save the game.  I did and then it offered the initial screen.  My Bride's Oregon 450 did the exact same thing.  Did I do something wrong?

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

A Day In The Park belongs to our daughter and her husband, KandRS. We did it one day and all went well for our first one.

I keep a watch on the cache activity and the final container is only half there. Either Robert or I need to go repair the final. This type of cache is pretty neat and it would be ashamed to see it fall away to the archive bin.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

So my two simple wherigoes (the Easy WIG and CLAPS WIG) just take you from zone to zone till you find the cache.  My Critter Aid in BNC is more interactive and requires you to pick up items (animals) and drop them in the right spot to get the final coords.  Robert's Day in the Park is similar in that you have to pick up Little Larry and take him where he wants to go to finish it.  That said, I think there are some issues with the cartridge.  It works OK on some devices, but not so well on others.  It should have eventually taken you to an area where the fence makes a corner and the cache was a bison tube on the fence.... or at least part of a bison tube.

BTW, guess who was the inspiration for Little Larry?

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

Tim, it could have been our lack of experience with WIG caches.

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Even still, the whole concept is a bit unstable, as Larry mentioned. Some devices hit solid and some do not. I like the idea a lot and we still need to get over to BNC for Larry's.

#13 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

When we tried to do a Day in the Park, we borrowed someone's GPS (I think it was Georeyna's)  to do it and we had the same type of experience as BB.  It never spit out the final coordinates.  We just kept going around n circles and restarting, etc.  We finally got the coordinates from someone and signed the log of the cache. 

Posted Image

#14 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:20 AM

I had no problem on my Oregon.  I've done it a few times with others.  I have not tried it on my phone, though.  Will do that the next time I'm in the area with some time to try it.

Posted Image

#15 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

I just did "A Day in the Park" and it worked more or less OK.  Like BB I had to keep going back and checking my list to see if I had completed my tasks.  It did not give me final coordinates but did let navigate to them.  A picture in one of the logs zeroed me in to the right spot.  I am another new comer to the WIG game.  Larry's two in Baytown were pretty good.  The "Easy Wherigo" was a good introduction although I did need a push from Larry to get going.  The BNC one was a lot more fun.  It makes for a nice hike (or an easy Mt. bike ride).  It lets you know when you complete your task.  I am working on one in Austin - "Prognosis Negative" that is quite involved.  It has got a lot favorites from the Austin cachers.  I am kind of stuck on it right now but I think this is, again, a novice playing the game.  I hope to do the kayak cache of Larry's as soon as I get a chance.  I just need to remember there is a difference between the virtual world and the real world.  I looked for a non-existent shoe for thirty minutes in Austin.

#16 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Oh, I should have added that I am playing these games on a LG android phone.  The whereyougo app seems to work pretty well.

#17 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

I did the "A day in the park" as well and it performed perfectly on my Oregon 200.
It might be your devices, but what do I know....

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#18 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

...and that is the problem with WIG cartridges it seems. It works great on one Oregon model (et al), but not so good on another. It was fun though.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users