• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

So a while back I was driving on 610 and noticed what looked like would be a great cache container. Thanks to a drunk driver hitting a pole I am now a proud owner of a traffic walk/don't walk signal.

I have been wanting to put this out for a long time now but have not found any good locations or ideas for uses for it. As you can see from the pictures it is quite large(which I think Houston needs more of... too many micros and nanos :( ) and it is water tight when closed.

Any ideas for me???

Attached File  Signal.jpg   58.07KB   57 downloads

#2 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Depending on the internal electronics still in there, I would be tempted to fire it up. You could install a door lock on it that opens when the display goes to zero.

Adding an electronic keypad used on alarm systems, you could make a cool puzzle cache out of it and set it up on your property where there is power. The solve for the puzzle starts the display countdown and when it hits zero, the door opens for the log. That would make a pretty cool yard cache.

• amberita13 likes this

#3 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

Depending on the internal electronics still in there, I would be tempted to fire it up. You could install a door lock on it that opens when the display goes to zero.

Adding an electronic keypad used on alarm systems, you could make a cool puzzle cache out of it and set it up on your property where there is power. The solve for the puzzle starts the display countdown and when it hits zero, the door opens for the log. That would make a pretty cool yard cache.

ATMA, that would be SWEEET! Problem though is... I have 0 clue how to do any of that or anything much creative beyond putting a log book in the container! :)

• Cache Control likes this

#4 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

In an entirely different direction, I am amused when I find things out in the woods that have no business being there--like "electrical outlets" at the base of trees.  Seeing this attached to a tree would be hilarious.   :2funny:

#5 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Bring it with you when we meet up and I will have a look at it. maybe I can offer some help.

ATMA, that would be SWEEET! Problem though is... I have 0 clue how to do any of that or anything much creative beyond putting a log book in the container! :)

#6 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

You could call it  Aerosmith   ( for Walk This Way)

• pindroppers74, KeyResults and green-eyed like this
Posted Image

#7 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

In an entirely different direction, I am amused when I find things out in the woods that have no business being there--like "electrical outlets" at the base of trees.  Seeing this attached to a tree would be hilarious.   :2funny:

Add a solar panel and do what ATMA said in the woods!

Posted Image

#8 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Hmmm, I MAY had a street sign (courtesy of Hurricane Ike) that I could add to the mix.  Been trying to figure out what to do with it for 5 years.  Actually, it's 2 street signs mounted in criss-cross fashion.... that blew off a pole.  :notme:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#9 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hmmm, I MAY had a street sign (courtesy of Hurricane Ike) that I could add to the mix.  Been trying to figure out what to do with it for 5 years.  Actually, it's 2 street signs mounted in criss-cross fashion.... that blew off a pole.  :notme:

I MAY also have a sign courtesy of Ike.. Post Oak Blvd... We could do an entire intersection in the woods!! Just need some lights..

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

Attached File  IMG_2926.JPG   170.74KB   22 downloads

:peace:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#11 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

This one is in New Jeresy... I wonder if I could find a TravelingGeek sign closer??

post-931-0-58307500-1374551498.jpg

(Yes, it's a real sign, and No, it's not for me.)

Attached Files

Posted Image

#12 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

That is so absolutely cool of an idea with the sign! I haven't ever run into a cache where there was an electrical outlet at the base of a tree! I need to get out more...  :)

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#13 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

I can almost promise you ATMA can have that sign running!  Y'all are so funny, picking up all the signs off the road.  Atleast they are not travel bugs...yet!

#14 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

I may or may not have a few signs to go along with this project. 

Like my TB Sign  I may have a few more.  Hey I am the crazy one who puts a fire hydrant, huge sandbox,  and a telescope in the woods.  So I would be glad to help with some ideas. 

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

That is so absolutely cool of an idea with the sign! I haven't ever run into a cache where there was an electrical outlet at the base of a tree! I need to get out more...  :)

FYI here is one.  Check out the hint. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users