Photo

Claiming an FTF

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Claiming FTF (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who gets to claim FTF if Some finds the physical container first but didn't log the logsheet and hadn't logged it online, but has a picture with the container at GZ. Or the person that actually signed the logsheet and logged online first.

1. Person who logged the logsheet and logged online first. (9 votes [69.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 69.23%

2. Person who found the container first, couldn't get the logsheet out, took a picture, then posted that the FTF'd it after someone else logged it online (and oh yeah post dated it a day to make sure it got listed first.) (1 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. Both (3 votes [23.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

I agree that I'd feel better with a couple more choices.

As far as I'm concerned, the person who makes the physical grab, no matter what, is the FTF. Logging is a formality and courtesy. 

As far as CO-FTF, when multiple people around, I feel it's really up to the person who makes the grab, or a consensus based on their thoughts. I've taken a few CO-FTF's, and left some at the GZ too. Especially, if I didn't really know the other Geocacher(s).

If I walk up on Texas Writer or anyone else who are in the process of signing the log, that, in my opinion, is NOT a CO-FTF under any circumstances. But, that's just me.

In the end, Groundspeak doesn't officially recognize FTF (that I can ascertain). This is a facet of the game that is our own creation. If GS ever decides to regulate/track/recognize/reward FTF watch out! It's almost certainly gonna anger somebody.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#22 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

What I would choose in the poll isn't listed:

The person who signed the logsheet first irrespective of who logged the find online first.

I don't use a smartphone, so when I go geocaching, I log my finds as soon as I get back home.

This was an issue on a FTF up here in Huntsville.  On our way out of town (Tealcat and I were headed to a state park for the challenge) we noticed that a cache had still not been found.  So we stopped, made the find, signed the logsheet in the position for First to Find, then went on to the park.  At the end of the day, when we were logging our finds online, I saw that someone had claimed to be FTF even though we were there first.

I don't think I have ever thought about "sharing FTF credit".  How does that happen?

I've Co-FTF at least dozen times, caching with other people, or meeting people at the cache site and agreeing to co-FTF if either of us find it as it's a joint search at that point.  Besides, there's no real tracking of FTFs by GS so it's really an honesty thing anyway.  It's whether I mark it as an FTF in the application that I use to track my FTFs (GSAK for my case where I search for a string {*FTF*} to identify my FTFs.)  

All this said, I've decided to not claim this as an FTF.  No real sweet off my back.

Since I know that someone (but it slips my mind at the moment just who) was counting FTF's and posting them here, I thought that someone somewhere at Groundspeak or at geocaching.com was keeping track--but I had no idea how.

#23 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

If I walk up on Texas Writer or anyone else who are in the process of signing the log, that, in my opinion, is NOT a CO-FTF under any circumstances.

I don't think that's ever happened, has it, Kenny? Lol

Personally, I've had lots of co-FTF's under a myriad of circumstances. Depending on the area, there's some really "active" (ahem...aggressive) FTF'ers out there, and since I tend to get around I run into people a fair amount. In my early days of caching, there were situations that would have definitely qualified as co-FTF's that I never claimed because I misunderstood the offer (like when I got there first but hadn't found the cache yet and the other cacher arrived while I was there and they found it). I thought they were just having pity on me, so my "I don't take no handouts from nobody!" thinking kicked in and I politely declined (and went home to make a little doll of the person and stick pins in it).

Nowadays, I just try to be there and gone before anyone else arrives. :NTN:  Of course, the cops haven't got that memo yet, because they often seem to like to arrive shortly after I do. Maybe it's the whipping into the parking lot on two wheels thing....I'm not sure. I keep my bike on the back a lot and use it to shorten and/or simplify the search. In some cases, I also use it to add a bit more stealth. I might have done that recently....like a time or two last night. One night awhile back I grabbed FTF's on a 3-part series while a fine officer kept driving around the area shining his 1 billion lumen light into the woods. I'm pretty sure he suspected someone was out there because my vehicle was (legally) parked just a ways down, but I managed to duck and dodge my way on foot undetected. That was one of the funnest FTF runs I've ever engaged in. I guess I could have just left it....nah.... 

Okay, I strayed off topic. I think geocaching is an extremely fun game, and FTF's are just part of the game. But at the end of the day, it is just a game, so I try not to get my knickers in a knot about things. I'd rather walk away from something than have a tiff with anyone, so I usually just let that guide me. Seems to serve me pretty well... 

I'm feeling a lot of love in this room...lol  O0

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I side note to co-FTF's.  When in a group that is kayaking (like on the CLAPS series) and the first person to the cache finds it and signs the log for everyone, that should certainly be  co-FTF's.  They're fairly easy to find, but it's not like everyone can maneuver their yaks into the same spot and all search for it. 

One finder, 10 FTFer's!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#25 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

I side note to co-FTF's.  When in a group that is kayaking (like on the CLAPS series) and the first person to the cache finds it and signs the log for everyone, that should certainly be  co-FTF's.  They're fairly easy to find, but it's not like everyone can maneuver their yaks into the same spot and all search for it. 

One finder, 10 FTFer's!

How about tree climber caches? :stirpot:

• KeyResults likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#26 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

I claimed FTF on the Kayak 101 class event and I ain't ashamed.  :angel:

• TexasWriter and green-eyed like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#27 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Put ParkerPlus got it on the Special Tools one -- he logged it yesterday!

That's some next-level FTF strategery!

Edited by cachestacker, 20 July 2013 - 03:49 PM.

• Baytown Bert and green-eyed like this
Posted Image

#28 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

That danged P+ is a fricken legend.  LOL  Did you see him sneak off from the group today to get the final of Special tools required?

Edited by Baytown Bert, 20 July 2013 - 06:22 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#29 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

There was a caching couple that used to live in Kingwood but they have since moved to Lubbock who would often leave a 2nd place ribbon as swag if they were FTF. Her name was Lettie and I cannot remember his name. I met her at a cache and she called me a newbie.

Posted Image

#30 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

I claimed a FTF on SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED by mistake yesterday and corrected the log today.  Changed it to a Will Attend entry.  Sorry

#31 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

LOL.  You were there either way.  ;)

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#32 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

There was a caching couple that used to live in Kingwood but they have since moved to Lubbock who would often leave a 2nd place ribbon as swag if they were FTF. Her name was Lettie and I cannot remember his name. I met her at a cache and she called me a newbie.

That would be the CacheAbels.   Lettie and Jim, I think.

Posted Image

#33 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,597 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

That would be the CacheAbels.   Lettie and Jim, I think.

Yes that's the couple. I used to find a lot of 2nd place ribbons in a cache and it took me awhile to get the joke. They stopped calling me a newbie once I scooped them (FTF) on some caches in their neighborhood. A great couple.

Posted Image

#34 zoothornrollo

zoothornrollo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationClear Lake City

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

We lucked into some newly-published caches in Ontario a few weeks ago.   We signed a brand new log on a cache and a car pulled up as we were walking back to our truck from GZ.  It was two local cachers. We had a nice chat, gave them one of our tags, and parted ways.   We saw them again about 30 minutes later as they had just signed a pristine log on another cache and they invited us to join them to go after two more FTFs...such gracious ladies.  After finding two more co-FTFs with them, we parted ways.  It was very hot (90+ degrees, sunny) and they were giving up for the day.  We ended up getting two more FTFs ourselves afterwards.  It is always great to meet people on the caching trail and these two nice women made our visit to Ontario all the better. 

• 2katz and green-eyed like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users