#22 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

<snip>

i sent a msg saying welcome to caching and just as a rule of thumb, don't post pics of the numbers, etc.  said TB owners are protective of their TBs and will get irritated if they discover the pics posted  :)

Enough logs like that from pictures which are not dealt with by the trackable owner can get the number locked by Groundspeak though.

Edited by OHail, 16 July 2013 - 06:26 PM.

There is no adventure without risk.

#23 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

interesting.  I didn't know groundspeak would lock the TBs.  that would definitely irritate the TB owner as well.  I wanted to be friendly and give the newbie a gentle nudge in the right direction... we'll see if they take it or not.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#24 webelozt

webelozt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

We have about 15 trackables out there in Geo-Space somewhere. We try to make them easy to pick up and move along to get them moving along only to be Lost in Space. If the cachers or weven muggles that pick them up would try to put them back in play then more TB would be out there. I would like to send out more trackables but if they come up missing after just one move what the point in it?

#25 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

When I first started caching I purchased TBs that were cheaper thinking I wouldn't be as upset about them going missing but I am sure I will be frustrated.  I have had a few disappear and it is frustrating.  I finally got a bunch of mine attached to something, put them in a baggie and added a note asking that they keep moving.  In the Flag series I recently put out I thought here goes nothing and left several of the TBs at several of those caches.  I hope they travel and don't get lost but I thought why did I buy these to carry them to events and not be shared so they are free.  

Last week I picked up a trackable where the owner discribed who they made a proxy mold of it.  I may try that for some nicer ones I have that I won't let go.

#26 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

I agree about the minimum found before hiding.  There was a group of what I think were teenagers who were putting out caches in peoples yards and it seemed they were doing nothing but causing trouble.  I looked at a couple as they were very close to home but decided it wasn't worth the hassle after reading other posts on their hides. 

• TexasWriter likes this

#27 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Beinlause has one in his front yard and if his truck is there, it is trackable. Usmorrows have one in their front yard also. I normally get all squeemish when it comes to caches in neighborhoods, even if they plainly state it is their house.

TXGA SETX Representative

#28 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

I agree about the minimum found before hiding.  There was a group of what I think were teenagers who were putting out caches in peoples yards and it seemed they were doing nothing but causing trouble.  I looked at a couple as they were very close to home but decided it wasn't worth the hassle after reading other posts on their hides. 

Yeah, I heard about these kids. I heard someone put out a tribute cache for them. :NTN:

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#29 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

As a rule of thumb I stay away from Schools, Kiddie parks, and residential areas where caches are very close to houses.
The exception is if I'm driving and Keely wants to get the cache and or the boys are with us.

... and I'm generally not a fan of those particular settings.

I also don't do travelbugs.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#30 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Beinlause has one in his front yard and if his truck is there, it is trackable. Usmorrows have one in their front yard also. I normally get all squeemish when it comes to caches in neighborhoods, even if they plainly state it is their house.

My neighbors would flip out if I put one in my yard.  At least one neighbor seems to never sleep and always knows what is going on at my house.  It is nice to get the call to say hey your garage door is open but I am sure I would give them a herat attack if I said Yeah, I know people are looking around my front yard. 

Hmmm, that would be fun to do an evil one or maybe one that you have to climb the tree!!  LOL  :stirpot:

#31 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Hey! I never joke...

You are kidding me!!  LOL

#32 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Well, I have been known to pull a funny now and again. Here... pull my finger.
  • TexasWriter likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#33 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

Well, I have been known to pull a funny now and again. Here... pull my finger.

If you pull his finger, I'm sure he'll have it on video with sound effects. 

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#34 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

Dang tootin'?

TXGA SETX Representative