#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

I've about had it with placing new TB's in geocaches. The last 3 I've placed have went missing the very next time a newbie visits regardless of what instructions I put on them, or what I write in my log. Writing them an email is pointless, as they do not respond. It's very frustrating to see a new TB vanish, when I find some from Europe with 20,000 miles on them. Are we dealing with people who can't read? Seriously, I think in my next geocaching 101 class, handling trackables should be something I stress in greater detail.
  • green-eyed likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

I'm starting to understand why people turn drilling bits, bowling balls, surfboards, aircraft propeller blades, and refrigerator doors into TBs.
  • Baytown Bert, 2katz and green-eyed like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#3 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

sad when a 10 yr old doesn't want to let his first TB out into the wild to complete it's mission b/c even he knows they disappear.  but i need to meet up with dhaulgarhi again to he can take it back home with him this fall.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#4 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

R4 gave me her FIRST travel bug with a mission to get to Paris. I broke out into a cold sweat many nights over moving that little unicorn TB. I didn't want to be the person who dropped it at a cache, have it get lost or stolen soon after and disappoint an adorable little girl. I held onto the TB longer than I should have but finally found someone - Southlake Searchers - who was going to Europe and would take it. I KNEW that if the TB made it to Europe it would have a better chance of survival. It is sad that the Americans can't get the concept of travel bugs down as well as the Europeans.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

I can't put a number on it without looking, but I think I've sent out 15-20 TB's in the last 2 years and watched all but a couple disappear. One never made it past its first drop in one of HC's caches in BNC. It does appear that if they have a patriotic or religious hitchhiker they have a better chance of survival for some reason. I'll probably still send some out to contribute to the game, but most I will carry with me to events or give to fellow geocachers to honor their friendship or commitment tot he game.

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

My two fav TB's are missing now as well. Sadly, my "Hamish the Warrior" TB (he was going around inviting people to come do the Warriors series) was dropped at the Texas Challenge and it's now missing. So, it's not just newbies losing them. Personally, I don't release any to the caching world anymore, and I haven't for about a year (except the wedding cake one at the event). I seldom pick them up anymore either unless it's in a new cache that I'm FTF'ing and I'm unsure whether it's a gift or not. I just jot down the number and discover them. I agree with KD....it's sad that they fare so well across the pond and don't here.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Don't get me started... :tickedoff:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

As a newbie one step away from buying TBs & cache containers the other night, you're really making me consider saving my money  :huh:

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Buy the trackables and add them to your collection.  Show them to your friends at events.  When this gets old, release them to the geoverse.

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

Kirbydox, you did a great job. R4s travel unicorn has been rolling around Sweden for a whole now and just landed in Latvia. We are enjoying its travels immensely. Thank you!! We still have a few more to release but after hearing all the stories I have been nervous. We are going to Canada on Friday and those guys are really nice eh, so maybe that is a good sign for the tbs to fare well and that we should release them there.

#11 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

How about we start a pen pal program with our geo-friends overseas. Heck, we've hidden multi-stage caches with them where the stages are on different continents. Likewise, we could take our TB's, mail them across the pond, have them released to travel in Europe, and when they've accrued enough miles for our happiness we could have them sent home to be retired to our collection. It would be like an espionage program. :laugh:

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#12 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

I think I'm going to attach a laminated card that says in bold letters to discover it unless you plan to move it.

TXGA SETX Representative

#13 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

saw one today... newbies in my area who just had their first cache publish after only 15 finds in a week of caching... they're taking pictures of the TB tag only and posting them to their logs with the numbers VERY visable in the photos.

Posted Image

#14 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

Tell me you helped them with the learning curve there...

Posted Image

#15 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Yes indeed I discovered it on the web to alert the TB owner. I don't care if they erase my log. LOL

TXGA SETX Representative

#16 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

Tell me you helped them with the learning curve there...

not yet, but i plan on it.  they're supposed to attend the ABC dinner next week... maybe you should since you're more of a seasoned cacher than i am?  i like to think i know the rules fairly well from all of you guys.  or i research before i do something...  

and their hide is not in a great location either.  slightly shady apt complex, where i wouldn't want to go by myself snooping around the property.

Edited by green-eyed, 16 July 2013 - 07:08 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

I wish GC.com wouldn't let anyone hide a cache until they've found 50. The instant I saw this one publish and read that they had found 15, my first thought was that "Here is another cache that will be abandoned," but that may not be the case at all.

As far as the trackable goes, just discover it and state that you saw it online and let the trackable owner deal with it. It's not really our problem, right?
  • green-eyed likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,960 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

As far as the trackable goes, just discover it and state that you saw it online and let the trackable owner deal with it. It's not really our problem, right?

No -- but people who don't seek out and learn everything before they do won't know unless someone tells them.  Politely informing them abut TB hijacking, etc. will make them better cachers and I'm sure they'd be happy to do things a bit differenet once they know. 

I read a lot before I ever made my first find.  But I know that's not most people.  And still would not have known many things if it wasn't for more experienced cachers politely smacking me around a bit giving me some guidance.

Posted Image

#19 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

i agree with you BB.  i wouldn't let powerdog02 put put his first cache until he had 50 logged, even though he's found a lot more before he had his own account.  it gives you a better idea of what to do with hides and how you want people to find them.  i'm not saying mine are difficult by any means, but i wanted to give fun hides.  some are a little tricky.

i sent a msg saying welcome to caching and just as a rule of thumb, don't post pics of the numbers, etc.  said TB owners are protective of their TBs and will get irritated if they discover the pics posted :) 

Posted Image

#20 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Yes indeed I discovered it on the web to alert the TB owner. I don't care if they erase my log. LOL

i just saw that you actually did this... i wanted to see if any belonged to us locals or where they came from.  if the owner looks online to see the list of logs instead of just reading the emails, he'll notice the lovely pic attached to their logs...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users