Photo

Streaks

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Poll: Streaks: How strict is one-a-day? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Geocaching Streaks of x number of consecutive days means...

1. One physical find, cache in hand, log is signed, each day period. No exceptions (30 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. One physical find and logged each day, but some exceptions are excusable, ok fudge a little (2 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. Find several caches when you can, then just log one each day. No Biggie. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I got no time for stupid streaks. I just wanna cache! (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

I'm of the opinion that you log the find on the day you sign the log sheet.  That said, I feel there's a little leeway that could be given.  Such as identifying where the cache is located, but not touching the cache or log sheet (i.e. no signing of the log sheet) and then coming back on the day that you're going to claim the find and actually logging it. It may not be there when you come back or if you're not able to make it out then your streak is snapped.  

I will admit that I identified a few LPCs in my area (didn't actually lift the skirts) and one cache were I spotted the container from about 10' away and decided not to make the grab to save them for easy grabs on extremely busy days when working on my 366 Calendar grid.  Does that make me a bad cacher or breaker of the rules?  

Posted Image Posted Image

#22 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

I'm of the opinion that you log the find on the day you sign the log sheet.  That said, I feel there's a little leeway that could be given.  Such as identifying where the cache is located, but not touching the cache or log sheet (i.e. no signing of the log sheet) and then coming back on the day that you're going to claim the find and actually logging it. It may not be there when you come back or if you're not able to make it out then your streak is snapped.  

I will admit that I identified a few LPCs in my area (didn't actually lift the skirts) and one cache were I spotted the container from about 10' away and decided not to make the grab to save them for easy grabs on extremely busy days when working on my 366 Calendar grid.  Does that make me a bad cacher or breaker of the rules?  

Kenny, this is turning into a confessional.  "Forgive me geo-father for I have logged a cache on these days!!*  LOL!!  >:D  :angel:

• Baytown Bert, 2katz, TexasWriter and 1 other like this

#23 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

Kenny, this is turning into a confessional.  "Forgive me geo-father for I have logged a cache on these days!!*  LOL!!  >:D  :angel:

Can we have some wine now, geo-father?

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#24 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

One physical find, cache in hand, log is signed, each day period. No exceptions.  Challenge caches that you qualify for and signed the log earlier but just now logged "today" don't count, either, as you weren't there making the find then.

But that's just how I play.  Everyone else can play however they want.  :angel:

I completed 366 consecutive days a while back and agree.  I did sign a log on a challenge then logged it the day i completed the challenge but guess what?   I found the cache i needed to complete the cache the same day so the one logged before did not matter since i found the other cache and signed that log that day i logged both.   

Me and PMR found 50 puzzle caches today and a couple regulars today.  I will log them soon. but for today not over 31 days next month like some I know.  But to each there own.  

#25 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

I managed 33 days in a row last year and really got burned out on it.  Folks who find caches for a year straight, or (straining credibility) 2 years straight or more and say they NEVER fudged a bit and found several the same day and logged them over several days, ...well they're probably lying.

I agree about the souvenir inflation...  Meh.

I can honestly say I never fudged on mine.  It almost cost my marriage.  Which now I will say what the heck was I thinking.

I too also did prefind a cache , if thats what its called with out signing log are going within 25 ft of GZ but could see it.  A couple weeks latter went back to use that one for my find for the day and it had been muggled.  Still had to find oe that day. Guess some one was telling me something.  So that became the one and only one I ever tried that on.  Figured someone or something was watching and telling me not to cheat myself.   Because I am truly the only one I can cheat in this game.  

How about someone doing the logging streak with ones trackable and can't even make the movement of the trackable believable?

Edited by Cache Control, 13 July 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#26 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

We made it to 128 days before we bailed.  Too much stess.  

We were helped out a lot by the Dirrty Harry series when it came out.  Many of those in the Sharpstown/Chinatown area were very close to where I work, so most of the time, I would grab them on the way to work, before the places got busy.  

Posted Image

#27 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Robin_1 and myself are well over the 800 each.  There are days I have to grab a cache at 10PM so I can make it.  There are other days I dont want to find a cache so I find the easiest LPC I can.  My goal is 1,000 days in a row.  I am close and I think I may just stop then.  I really don't know.  After 1 full year of caching in a row I now count events and CITOS as a cache a day.  It can be tough to find caches that are close but in both Robin_1 and my cases we worked over 40 miles from tje house during most of our streak.  I also travel a lot which makes it easier. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

I did say "probably", not "certainly"!  :angel:

Yes, you did and that is the way I took it.  :)

To address what someone else said, I do not necessarily log a find the day I find it.  If I am traveling, I do not log until I get home for several reasons with the main one being security of me and my home. If it has been a long caching day, I will be too tired to log when I get home.  To me, it is about what date I found it and not what date I log it. 

Now I am curious.  Is there a way one could prove what date an online log was posted without the home office in Seattle checking when the log came in? 

This is just me, but on those days I attended some sort of event or found a virtual or earthcache, I also found a cache with physical container and log.  I've seen some challenges that didn't allow caches without a physical log nor events for the qualifiers so I was just covering my bases. (I haven't seen that on streak challenges yet but have seen busy day challenges which didn't allow events.) The way my luck goes, I would go for one of those and find my streak didn't count past day N because I didn't find a physical cache container and sign a log.  It is already hard enough to do a streak where I live if one has been caching a while and that is why my streak ended.  I just wasn't going to drive 75 miles each way to continue it because that was where the nearest cache was which didn't require a boat to get.

There is no adventure without risk.

#29 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

I must confess when I was working on a streak there were a couple times where I had "found" a cache but didn't sign the log such as confirming it was an LPC or as Chad said above I happen to see the container and came back when I really needed a cache.  I made to about 90 days but knew I wanted to stop because it was getting to be too much going out of the way and getting home later and later to not do what I needed to at home with Brandon. 

As far as Challenge caches - I have gone and signed several caches most of which I knew I had not at the time qualified to log.  Things have been crazy so honestly I haven't gone in and checked if I have qualified but betting by now I am sure I can log now.  Honestly with the problems I have been having with GSAK that is the last thing on my list.  It now shows I have found a list of caches on January 1, 1900 --- funny I wasn't alive then and neither was geocaching.com.

I am seeing conflicting opinions on the events for a streak... I see some who have counted an event as a find and some who have not.  I guess it is better to do more than one a day in case someone questions you but on many times I did one and if that included an event that was my one per day. 

#30 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

Kenny, this is turning into a confessional. "Forgive me geo-father for I have logged a cache on these days!!* LOL!! >:D :angel:

Host 2 events, move 6 trackables, hide no nanos in the woods, and go in peace Geo child
  • georeyna and CornDoll like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#31 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

BryanWilpitz told me thacatfish had suggested to him that he go on a one year streak and this is when he was at about 250 in a row.  "Are you nuts?  You put yourself under a curse my friend."  was my reply.  He went on to complete the 365 day challenge and hasn't hardly geocached since.  That was in mid-May and he's only found 3 since.  It is a curse and a person who does this needs to realize that unless you live in an area teeming with unfound caches, you are putting yourself and this game in a place that could end up making you hate it.  The last time I saw him, he looked haggard and was pushing a shopping cart over in Alief.  :uglystupid2:

• TexasWriter likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#32 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

R5 is on a streak - 128 days and counting.  The males in our family are dead set on streaking. The females could care less but we help out with that effort as much as possible.  It helps to have two adults on the team where either one of us could grab a cache if need be.  Also, R1 travels often and works fairly far from our home area so all of that makes streaking pretty painless especially during the summer.  When school starts and we have sports/homework/ etc it is going to get harder during the week and we may have to lay the burden down.  I am also really happy TeamCull has been out replacing missing caches so there are some close to home I am saving for busy days when I need a fix.  I now have a few backups that are less than a mile so I don't feel as stressed to get one.  I have also asked jpeg and scarecrow to get get busy so my cache cushion will grow!

It is hard not to cheat - I totally get that.  It is all about the fun.  We have a lot of fun as a family and really enjoy the people we have met caching.  As you all know, this hobby is very rewarding and it one of the best things to happen to our family in a long time. It got my husband off the couch and out with all of us in nature on a regular basis working together as a team - and feeling a part of something bigger being a small cog in the geo Community around the world.  It is beautiful.  I hear my husband and son right now working on a new "evil" cache together in the garage.  Good times... 

• georeyna and TexasWriter like this

#33 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

We have a lot of fun as a family and really enjoy the people we have met caching.  As you all know, this hobby is very rewarding and it one of the best things to happen to our family in a long time. It got my husband off the couch and out with all of us in nature on a regular basis working together as a team - and feeling a part of something bigger being a small cog in the geo Community around the world.  It is beautiful.  I hear my husband and son right now working on a new "evil" cache together in the garage.  Good times... 

I think it's great how much you and your family have plugged into the geo-community, R2. You've put out some fun caches, really advanced your creativity/camo (and your use of Google Earth), and put several "wee hour" FTF's in my list. :laugh:  I had a ton of fun playing the pathtag "shell game" with Margot the other day at the 3G geo-event and think your family is a lot of fun.

By the way, isn't it time to put out some more caches now? :coolsmiley:

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#34 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

I am not going anywhere near the confessional. It's against my religion. I'm in complete agreement that R1-5 need to put out more caches this year to support my push for a cache a day in 2013. I wouldn't be going for 366 without BadgeGen reminding me constantly of how lame a cacher I am. It's a terrible thing that BadgeGen. FYI - events, CITOs, and virtuals are all legit cache types. They count for cache-a-days in my book. Often an event will take more time and effort than a throw down LPC in a parking lot.
  • TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image

#35 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Just wait until PR gets back from his sabatical and clears out the cache queue.  I think their will be quite a flood of new ones.  Either that or all the other cachers in this area are on vacay because there has been nothing new in days!  (Yes, I have at least one in the queue that has been there almost a week!)

#36 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

<snip> FYI - events, CITOs, and virtuals are all legit cache types. They count for cache-a-days in my book. Often an event will take more time and effort than a throw down LPC in a parking lot.

Yes, they are legitimate cache types and they count as finds and some events do take more time and effort than some hides.  However, when qualifying for a challenge, you have to consider the cache owner's rules and try to anticipate future variations especially when a lot of time will be invested.  As mentioned, there are challenge caches which do not allow finds on virtuals, earthcaches, web cams, locationless and the various event types to count as qualifiers.  In my book, it is good to know such exceptions exist in advance so one can plan accordingly.  O0

There is no adventure without risk.

#37 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

When OHL hocky guy was doing his streak he would go out late at night and do one on each side of midnight, that is, each day.

#38 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

I think my longest streak was 14 days.  and since I got most of the caches near my office, I don't have many more to search for without going further than is safe at lunchtime.  unless I have two working arms and a kayak to get all the CLAPS caches near the house and office...  if I do any of the challenges, it would be the 31 days one and that's it.  and I don't see that happening.  too difficult as the only adult in my house while trying to be responsible for homework, scouts, etc.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#39 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Kenny, this is turning into a confessional. "Forgive me geo-father for I have logged a cache on these days!!* LOL!! >:D :angel:

Host 2 events, move 6 trackables, hide no nanos in the woods, and go in peace Geo child

Amen!   :angel:   I am hosting an event, I have over 12 trackables I have to move, so just one more event and PHEW - geo-heaven!!  I would probably loose the NANO in the woods before I got to place it so we are safe...

#40 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

I think OHLHockeyGuy used to find one before midnight and then one after midnight thus requiring one rip for two days. O0

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users