Photo

Streaks

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

Poll: Streaks: How strict is one-a-day? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

Geocaching Streaks of x number of consecutive days means...

1. One physical find, cache in hand, log is signed, each day period. No exceptions (30 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. One physical find and logged each day, but some exceptions are excusable, ok fudge a little (2 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

3. Find several caches when you can, then just log one each day. No Biggie. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I got no time for stupid streaks. I just wanna cache! (4 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Okay, so be honest, who among us thinks it's okay to "store up" a few finds just in case you find yourself in surgery and unconscious for a few days in the middle of your streak?

Things are seldom black & white in life. What's your interpretation of streaks and what's proper in attaining with honor? Take the poll and see what consensus says...

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

One physical find, cache in hand, log is signed, each day period. No exceptions.  Challenge caches that you qualify for and signed the log earlier but just now logged "today" don't count, either, as you weren't there making the find then.

But that's just how I play.  Everyone else can play however they want.  :angel:

Edited by cachestacker, 12 July 2013 - 03:06 PM.

• ohl hockey guy and Cache Control like this
Posted Image

#3 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

I haven't been overly concerned about streaks, but if I were then I would go with one physical find (or attending an event), cache in hand and log signed each and every day of the streak.

Hey, Tealcat and I bushwacked quite a ways to find a high difficulty find that was way up in a tree, and unfortunately some of the branches had been damaged by zealous cachers and there was no way I was going to shimmy up the tree--so even though we could see the cache, we logged it as a DNF.  That's how we play.

However, it is a game and you can play how you want to play. :angel: :cheers:

• ohl hockey guy likes this

#4 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

It means what you want it to mean.  If you mean to be a logging streak then say that and do that.  If you mean and say it to be a finding streak, then make it a finding streak.  It is about the level of honesty one has in making and fulfilling one's to comments. 

• cachestacker likes this

#5 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:55 PM

One physical find, cache in hand, log is signed, each day period. No exceptions.  Challenge caches that you qualify for and signed the log earlier but just now logged "today" don't count, either, as you weren't there making the find then.

But that's just how I play.  Everyone else can play however they want.  :angel:

What he said!!!!!

Posted Image

#6 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

This August will be my first time trying a "streak"; I hope the pressure doesn't detract from the fun.  :-\

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'm with Cachestacker, so I will not be joining the rush to get 31 (inflationary) souvies.

• cachestacker likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

I'm with Cachestacker, so I will not be joining the rush to get 31 (inflationary) souvies.

I may streak, but agree on the inflationary souvenirs.  To me it kills the intent and purpose, to the degree they've half-way done another project.  Should have done ONE if you successfully streaked each day in August.  And of course, people could have done it any way and gotten ONE that way.  Oh, well.

• Baytown Bert and Dhaulaghiri like this
Posted Image

#9 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

To me, a streak is when you throw off all your clothes and run across the football field during game time. Extra points if you are able to grab a cache along the way before donning clothing to wear to the police station.

• ohl hockey guy, Baytown Bert, Nebulus703 and 4 others like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#10 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

I have given up attempting streaks.  They should be found, signed and logged in one day.  I found I wasn't so good about getting the logs done on the same day... I could go for a many days in a row but then I just couldn't keep it up every day.  More power to those of you who can

#11 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

Shouldn't Events, CITO's, and virtuals also count for the "one a day" streak?

Whatever the cache, it should be actually found or attended on the date that is claimed for the streak.

• Cache Control likes this
Posted Image

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

I managed 33 days in a row last year and really got burned out on it.  Folks who find caches for a year straight, or (straining credibility) 2 years straight or more and say they NEVER fudged a bit and found several the same day and logged them over several days, ...well they're probably lying.

I agree about the souvenir inflation...  Meh.

• KeyResults and TexasWriter like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#13 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

I managed 33 days in a row last year and really got burned out on it.  Folks who find caches for a year straight, or (straining credibility) 2 years straight or more and say they NEVER fudged a bit and found several the same day and logged them over several days, ...well they're probably lying.

Well, you know at least two who didn't fudge. :)  xptwo and I found a cache every calendar day of their 800+ and my nearly 900 day streaks. There were days when it wasn't easy to go look for a cache. Then I had to arrange for someone to go with me after my shoulder surgery because I couldn't open most caches with only one useable arm. 

But I understand about straining credibility.  We know some folks who have found a pile of caches in one 24 hour period and logged them over however many days it took to use them up.  That's not finding a cache every day in my opinion and I just don't play that way. 

Not sure I want to do another streak even for just 31 days.  :laugh:

There is no adventure without risk.

#14 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:31 AM

• Nebulus703 and Dhaulaghiri like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#15 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

When I made my 80 something streak several years ago I had a backup.  I had a couple of caches I'd found but not signed the log.  I did this in case I had a day where I was unable to find a cache in the time I had available or if it was pouring down rain or something else make it impractical to do a cache that day.  In that case I could go directly to the cache, sign the log and have my cache for the day.  I don't think I ever used them but I would have had I needed to and, as I remember, they became the last caches of the streak. 

Incidentally, back when I did this streak the website It's Not About the Numbers posted each state's top cachers in various categories.  This streak made mine the sixth longest in Texas.  It was harder to do streaks back then because there were fewer caches and I had done the ones near my home.  As my streak grew I had to drive further and further to reach the next available cache.  My backups were within a mile of my home, but by the end I had to drive about ten miles one way to reach a new cache.  That streak cost me about $250 in car milage and by the end it was taking me about an hour a day. 

5bbd2bc7-e6ad-4587-9f17-0755ce060efa.jpg     7504d679-591b-4241-ae38-e024c143cc3c.jpg

Edited by Thot, 13 July 2013 - 04:51 AM.

#16 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 13 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

I'm going to give the streak a go, for the simple fact that a series of (if I recall properly) 29 published last week, less than 5 minutes from the house. Otherwise, fo-get about it!   I just don't have the time to be running around town after work every day.  

Currently, my longest streak has been 5 days and that was while I was on vacation over the x-mas holiday.

Posted Image

#17 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

Well, you know at least two who didn't fudge. :)  xptwo and I found a cache every calendar day of their 800+ and my nearly 900 day streaks. There were days when it wasn't easy to go look for a cache. Then I had to arrange for someone to go with me after my shoulder surgery because I couldn't open most caches with only one useable arm. 

But I understand about straining credibility.  We know some folks who have found a pile of caches in one 24 hour period and logged them over however many days it took to use them up.  That's not finding a cache every day in my opinion and I just don't play that way. 

Not sure I want to do another streak even for just 31 days.  :laugh:

I did say "probably", not "certainly"!  :angel:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#18 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

For Tealcat and I the nearest caches to us (we live in Huntsville) that we haven't found that don't involve more than an 8 mile hike (and I doubt that "walk in the woods" is still doable) are more than 14 miles away.  We will probably try to get in 31 days in August, so I am hoping that the Loop series in Conroe stays up that long.  Our longest "streak" thus far is 4 days.

Our August streak will be very environmentally unfriendly.

#19 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

When I did my 410 day streak last year the last 100 days it was more work than fun.  And I was at 360 days when I was sick and in bed all day but I dragged my butt out of bed.  Thank the caching gods for Wii's BINGO series in the Woodlands for those raining days and night time runs.   I only time I fudged was when I had a moving cache,  I didn't sign the cache the day I picked it up, I signed  it the next day.

Edited by Nov64, 13 July 2013 - 12:40 PM.

Posted Image

#20 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I may streak, but agree on the inflationary souvenirs.  To me it kills the intent and purpose, to the degree they've half-way done another project.  Should have done ONE if you successfully streaked each day in August.  And of course, people could have done it any way and gotten ONE that way.  Oh, well.

I just used one of the inflationary souvies to completes Cachestacers *Souvie challenge*.  I was at 49 and it tipped me over to 50, the needed number.

As far as streaks, I have done over 100 days, which, yes start to get on ones nerves.  If I have completed a *challenge cache*, I did use that cache as a find on a day I did not go out, or a day it was raining cats and dogs.  I may have done that about 3 times because it is tough to complete some of the challenges sometimes.

I will admit tho, that in order to say one has truly completed a streak, they must physically get up and find a cache.  I really do not know where/how challenge caches would fit into this scenario.  What say the geo-community?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users