• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

Considering I just announced joining the cache world...I regret to inform you, that we are...itchy. Rashy. Miserable  :blackeye: 

I honestly don't know if it's poison ivy, oak, sumac, but it's bad...at least for me! I have my entire hip area, a few on my legs, and feet but I assure you I did not go streaking while caching! Luckily my husband only has it around his ankles but with full pants & shoes, he's clueless how it "seeped" in.

Anyway, we're here for your amusement, and precautionary tale to not visit either The Megaliths of Sylvan Rodriguez Park

& stay on the track for Pirate's Ransom because only after we discovered the find did we realize bisecting the thicket is not necessary.

Live & Learn!  :-[

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#2 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

Sure sounds like chiggers
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#3 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

I've got a nasty habit of secondary (tertiary, quaternary) ivy or oak outbreaks from handling items that have the urushiol oil on them from a previous outing.   I don't have a large dog, but I know it's really easy to transfer the oil from the dog to you.  Its usually my shoes and boots that take me down.   Last time around, I think it was actually my car seat.

Or it could be what Kenny said.  Surprisingly after 7 years in Texas, I haven't had any run ins with chiggers.

Posted Image

#4 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

I think it was actually my car seat.

Dang, Greg, you should be sitting in the big boy seat by now. Lol. Had a great mental visual of you in a car seat, though. Thanks for the unintentional chuckle. :2funny:

• georeyna and green-eyed like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

If it is raise pustules like a red rash filled with clear liquid, it is poison ivy and it itches. Get Calamine lotion.

If it is chiggers (redbugs), they are already long gone and leave from faint to bright red bumps that itch times 100. The more you scratch them, the more it itches. Get Chigger-Ex from Walmart.

These are initial treatments. YMMV

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

What Bert said.  Chiggers will leave individual red bumps, usually where you have natural skin creases or in places where you clothing had close contact with the skin -- under your socks, around elastic wasitbands, back of the knees, etc.  They like to hang out in tall grasses and weeds on hot summer days.  Spray yourself from the knees down with Deep Woods OFF, put on your socks, spray the socks, then put on your hiking boots, then spray the boots.  If you're wearing long pants, spray the bottoms of the pants legs.  That helps somewhat, though a lot of folks don't like to be bathed in petrochemical toxins like that.  I just tend to save those bushwhacky caches until winter time when the chiggers aren't active.

We don't have much (if any) poison sumac around here, but there's lots of poison ivy and some poison oak.  Learn to ID it and stay away from it.  It tends to leave bigger rashy blotches instead of the individual bumps that chiggers do.  You can buy Ivy Block at the drugstore and apply it to exposed skin before venturing out just in case you inadvertently come in contact with it.  I keep Tech-nu Poison Ivy wash in the truck along with a roll of paper towels to wipe down with whenever I know I've accidentally gotten into the stuff.  P.I. can be just as poisonous in the winter time, but harder to identify since the leaves have fallen off.  Look for "fuzzy" vines growing up tree trunks and DON'T TOUCH THEM!

Heres a good reference on poison ivy:  http://www.bami.us/PoisonIvy.html

Here's a picture of the vine, sans leaves:

926fb41e-d113-41fd-b394-90991c71e435.jpg

Edited by HoustonControl, 08 July 2013 - 09:29 AM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#7 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Wow guys, y'all are really amazing! 

After Googling some pictures & through your descriptions, it is indeed chiggers. 

#8 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

After I trod through a suspected chigger field, I will soak in a hot bath of very hot water and a small amount Chlorox.  

After the soak of about 5 or 10 minutes, I shower off the Chlorox.

It only takes 1 episode of chiggers to get you into a routine of prevention.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#9 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

the chiggers are horrible this year.  so much, that we had  quite the discussion after memorial day weekend... a few of us all ventured north to state parks and discovered *how* bad they are.  another reason we need a hard freeze each winter.  kill the critters!!

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

I had over 50 of the demons on my ankles, I mean canckles. Like MuddyBuddy says. One episode and you will go scortched earth on the evil redbugs.

Another outbreak I encountered on two of the Midtown Bike caches is a very tiny variety of *Beggars Lice, so much so and so difficult to remove, I had to throw a brand new pair of socks away.

* any of several herbaceous plants having seeds that cling to clothing

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

I'll actually take chiggers over poison ivy any day.  PI on me seems to hang on for weeks and weeks while chiggers are gone after about 6-8 days.  YMMV.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#12 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,157 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'll actually take chiggers over poison ivy any day.  PI on me seems to hang on for weeks and weeks while chiggers are gone after about 6-8 days.  YMMV.

Agreed.  The PI tends to occasionally spread to some undesired locations.  Just Sayin'   :-\  :  

Posted Image

#13 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:25 PM

I've had them both to the extreme and they are even Steven when in that degree.  Chiggers are my number one concern these days, then black widow spiders.  I know and can identify PI for the most part.  Venomous snakes are probably next.

TXGA SETX Representative

#14 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

I had several chigger bites then got mosquito bit around them and decided to scratch like mad and give myself a really nice open wound.  Then I started applying anti (B) itch lotion and was able to dry them out and stop scratching myself where I looked like I had ankle mange.  Agreed.  Caching is much tougher in the summer.  My son had a weird red rash after bushwacking at the Dead Pres event which took until about now to clear out.  I think we might stick to LPCs until we can get to Calgary in two weeks! 

#15 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Poison Ivy seems to be a real problem this year even more so than last. Neither of our team reacts to PI, thank God, but the Chigger bites are tough and take a long time to heal.

I notice than when I handle Poison Oak, it will have a slight effect but that is rare.

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

It appears to me that PI is not as bad as it was 3 years ago, then we had the drought and last year it revived pretty good.  Both PI and chiggers appear to thrive in pocket environments.  There here, but not there.  YMMV.

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

Wow guys, y'all are really amazing! 

After Googling some pictures & through your descriptions, it is indeed chiggers. 

Chigger X helps, but also taking a hot shower, as hot as you can stand it and take Benedryl, will help stop the itching, at least for a bit.

Posted Image

#18 amberita13

amberita13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Agreed.  The PI tends to occasionally spread to some undesired locations.  Just Sayin'   :-\  :  

I didn't want to be descriptive, but @Mr Muddy Buddy, these chiggers have gone to undesired locations. But thank you @HoustonControl, because with your 6-8 days timespan there's at least light at the end of the tunnel. And yes @2katz, Benedryl is the only way we got sleep last night, Saturday night was rough without it.

#19 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

they always find a way to undesired locations... ankles and waistbands are the usual places, but if you're in shorts, be prepared.  my son's first chigger experience this may resulted in the most undesired variety since he refused pants during the scout campout.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#20 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

Anyway, we're here for your amusement, and precautionary tale to not visit either The Megaliths of Sylvan Rodriguez Park.

It appears that EQS7 and I were the last ones to find this cache, which unfortunately had a geotrail going straight towards an ammo can chained to a tree (trail was safe enough back then), though Poison Ivy has been spreading throughout Sylvan Rodriguez Park and is a reason why we choose to pass on a few caches that had been placed there. When in doubt look for "leaves of three" and if your still unsure, just try to go around it just to be safe. Happy hunting! :D

img.aspx?txt=I'm+not+lost!+I'm+Geocachin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users