#1 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hi!

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I ran across Geocaching through reading Harley Davidson's HOG magazine a while back and have had it on my "to do" list ever since then. I found myself mass downloading apps on my phone & decided to download Geocaching too. Both my husband & I gave it a shot Saturday the 19th for the first time. 

We find ourselves using our moped,(thus my signature), to go from cache to cache after dinner on the evenings that quickly turn from dusk to dark. So that is why I originally wanted the signature to read: "DuskCachers-Less that meets the eye", (to be read like the Transformers motto), but it was too long.

I'm really intrigued by any series of caches but since I rely solely on my minimal-status app it seems the closest cache, so far, always prevails. There's still a lot of words to learn, (like we ran across our first benchmark today), that I can wager Geocaching acronyms almost compete with Crossfit's extreme lists of acronyms.

The only question I do have is will there ever be another smiley other than happy or sad for a cache? How about: a green X or something for those which we have had a run of logs of lost caches or heavy maintenance needed? I seem to always click the log feature first just to see if it was discovered recently before putting an effort out on some caches for the sake that it may be muggled :)

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#2 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

There is the red wrench (Needs Maintenance) icon and the pen/paper (Write Note) icon. For whatever that's worth.... :laugh:

• amberita13 likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

Welcome to the boards. You hit a few of mine recently! Hope to see you on the trails, on the water, or at an event soon!
  • amberita13 likes this
Posted Image

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

Hello and greetings!  I've been caching for a spell and still learn more about the game on a routine basis!

• amberita13 likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

The only question I do have is will there ever be another smiley other than happy or sad for a cache? How about: a green X or something for those which we have had a run of logs of lost caches or heavy maintenance needed? I seem to always click the log feature first just to see if it was discovered recently before putting an effort out on some caches for the sake that it may be muggled :)

Greetings from the far north part of Houston caching.  There's also the little filing cabinet icon  (I think that's what it's supposed to be) for "Needs Archived."

• amberita13 likes this

#6 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hi... Welcome to the area. I believe I got your vehicle TB the other day.

• amberita13 likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Welcome! I'm in NW HOU but we all get around, eventually. Have a look at the array of attribute icons ;) that's where there's room for some growth IMO. Still, some useful ones in there worth attention sometimes.
  • amberita13 likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#8 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

welcome to the area as well!  i'm in league city, but my caching has come to a roadblock while I recover from shoulder surgery last week.  hoping to get PNG caching in soon... *hint I need more that I can get to*  hope to see you on the trails this fall!

• amberita13 likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#9 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Welcome to the madness!!!!

2katz (Kelly)

• amberita13 likes this
Posted Image

#10 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Welcome, I live in the NW side of Houston but maybe we will see you at an event down in your area, there are a couple coming up in the next couple weeks.

• amberita13 likes this

#11 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

Welcome to the addiction hobby!  My wife (Tealcat) and I are a bit further north (in Huntsville).  We have a few caches along the Lone Star Trail if you are up for a hike instead of riding from cache to cache.

And as a teaser for everyone else, I am working on putting out another series of caches along a hiking trail.

• amberita13 likes this

#12 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Welcome to the addiction, obsession, hobby...etc....I live on the north side of Houston. No telling where I may go caching, for example, just grabbed 16 CLAPS caches near clear lake this morning. Go to the events, ask questions. Go after FTF's when you can, great way to meet cachers.

• green-eyed likes this

#13 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Go after FTF's when you can, great way to meet cachers.

Also a great way to run into people you already know that are stealing your FTF's. Lol. MD, for the record, I was kidding when I shouted from afar, "Put down the container and put your hands in the air, or I'll shoot!" :knuppel2:

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

Hi!

I just wanted to introduce myself.

And by the way, amberita, welcome to geocaching neighborhood. :laugh:

#15 amberita13

amberita13

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

@ohl hockey guy

I've read, re-read, referred to the glossary, and I still am clueless to what you said.  :wacko: Can you run that one by me again? 

@TexasWriter

I think I can access FTF's on the site, but I think because my app isn't paid I can't access them on there...it's worth looking into though; thanks for planting that idea!

I also discovered that I've maxxd out on my "likes" to all the warm welcomes...I see this is no FB!  :) 

img.aspx?txt=Scoot+in+Cache+out!&uid=c71

#16 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

@ohl hockey guy

I've read, re-read, referred to the glossary, and I still am clueless to what you said.  :wacko: Can you run that one by me again? 

He's biking across the pond right now, so I'll answer on his behalf. He was saying that he logged a trackable (TB) on a vehicle the other day, and he thought maybe it was your vehicle. If you're not familiar with trackable items yet, you can read up on it at http://www.geocachin...avelbugfaq.aspx. There is a type of trackable that is a gel cling type "sticker" that you can place in your rear windshield (or anywhere on your vehicle really) and people that see it can "discover" it on geocaching.com just like they would a geocoin, travel bug dog tag, etc. A lot of cachers have them on their vehicles. It helps us pick out the crazies in a parking lot full of vehicles. :coolsmiley:

#17 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,329 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

This may help... The geocaching lexicon - http://geolex.locusprime.net/

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#18 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Welcome to the boards, amberita!

Edited by Kyrenx, 22 July 2013 - 01:33 PM.

img.aspx?txt=I'm+not+lost!+I'm+Geocachin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users