26 replies to this topic

#1 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

I'm curious how GC.com can allow someone to set up a freebie account, log caches, pick up TB's, etc. when the email address the newbie provided for their profile was never validated. See http://coord.info/PR7W7A5

for example. I lost my second favorite TB to a newbie like this (although not this one) and could never even contact the person because the noob didn't have a valid email address associated with the account. Does something very simple with the process seem very broken to anyone besides me?

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#2 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think those are people that use the Geocaching App to create the account.  At least I have seen one like that before.  Notice it says "never" for last login, but they logged two caches today.

You also can't find them as a "Find another player", presumably because they are not validated.

Posted Image

#3 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

Can we hunt them down and treat them badly for losing our TB's? :tickedoff:

• Baytown Bert likes this

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

On the flip side, if they won't log or drop your trackables, there's a high degree of probability that an e-mail won't do anything, either.  Although it may make you feel better.  :)

Posted Image

#5 Cyborg_TEK

Cyborg_TEK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Another flaw I've found even with verified members is how someone can log a find without showing as even viewed the cache on the audit log.  I can grasp the idea of even getting the coords from another account but I even went as far to test it from several different mobile apps to see if the view was logged and each view was accounted for.

• Cache Control likes this

"Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party."

img.aspx?&uid=4b9d9c59-54d9-4f4d-b418-04

#6 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

I can log them via GSAK and never look at them.  Never looked to see if it shows it in the audit log or not.

Posted Image

#7 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

I llok at them on my official app on my phone all the time. It never shows when I get on my computer that I ever viewed the cache. Not sure if its my phone or in the settings but ive never seen it show up.

#8 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:39 PM

Another flaw I've found even with verified members is how someone can log a find without showing as even viewed the cache on the audit log.  I can grasp the idea of even getting the coords from another account but I even went as far to test it from several different mobile apps to see if the view was logged and each view was accounted for.

The audit log will not show a view if someone runs a PQ to get the cache info, logs through field notes or GSAK.  Seems that one has to look at the actual cache page.

Pretty certain someone's profile will not show a visit if that person uses their phone to cache and log. 

There is no adventure without risk.

#9 Cyborg_TEK

Cyborg_TEK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

The audit log will not show a view if someone runs a PQ to get the cache info, logs through field notes or GSAK.  Seems that one has to look at the actual cache page.

Pretty certain someone's profile will not show a visit if that person uses their phone to cache and log. 

That makes sense with someone logging with GSAK from a PQ.  That was one I hadn't tried,  I had tried many mobile apps from my phone and those only showed a visit when I looked at it but not logging it later as it was already saved in the phones cache.

Edited by Cyborg_TEK, 19 July 2013 - 06:05 PM.

"Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party."

#10 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

What I do not understand is how PR will publish a cache from a user who has 0 finds and shows no activity whatsoever on their profile page...Example... 2 minutes ago  GC4F2WY  was published. Seems fishy to me...

• Cache Control likes this

#11 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

What I do not understand is how PR will publish a cache from a user who has 0 finds and shows no activity whatsoever on their profile page...Example... 2 minutes ago  GC4F2WY  was published. Seems fishy to me...

Yep, saw that one pop. Personally, I was wondering what comprised the other 75% if the cache is "10% Luck/15% Skill"

#12 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

What I do not understand is how PR will publish a cache from a user who has 0 finds and shows no activity whatsoever on their profile page...Example... 2 minutes ago GC4F2WY was published. Seems fishy to me...

I thought that one looked very much like a sock puppet account.

So, fess up. Whose account is that? We are all friends here.
Posted Image

#13 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Well, it isn't uptrain, because he just DNF'ed it. Hence the acronym we came up with the other day when we went on a futile newbie cache run....TFNN....Thanks for Nothing, Newb 8)

#14 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

When I placed my first cache, oh,... eight years ago, I had 25 finds under my belt, including 5 different types.  PR still quizzed me down about how I arrived at the coordinates for my cache, could I give him a physical description of the location that he could double-check on satellite view, what street was it on and nearest cross street intersection -- stuff like that.  I was a noob and he was trying to make sure I knew what I was doing.

I guess that kind of due diligence went out the window when the game exploded with phone app players.   :tickedoff: 

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#15 Cyborg_TEK

Cyborg_TEK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Personally I think the option to post a cache should have a minimal find limit of 250 at the lowest and only to premium members unless they have hit the 500 for non premium members.

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 22 July 2013 - 05:08 AM

I think the bottom line here is that PR needs to be more proactive on archiving abandoned caches with lots of DNF's, needs maint attributes, and of course, archive it tags.  That would solve a world of problems. 

My idea of having found 50 seems more realistic to me, as you never know when the next Parkerplus has just joined the game and 50 finds gives the new cacher a pretty good snapshot of where and where not to hide a cache.  WTTB2 told me when he first started caching, the LPC was the new kid on the block and because of the proliferation of them, I do not own a single one.  I remember the first time I found one and I thought "Amazing hide!"  and this hide location continues to spread, even though there may be a much better location nearby.  BTW, I do not feel any obligation to keep muggles from seeing me when I lift a skirt - YMMV.  I don't like to put my fellow cachers in an uncomfortable position with observers and I've archived some of my 200 hides for this very reason - they've become too active with the public. To me, hiding a cache is an ongoing educational experience and what I thought was a good idea two years ago, may not be something I would do now.

If PR were more active clearing old caches, many of us would be more prone to help a new hider, than jump on them (albeit gently) when their coords are `156 feet off - or when they do not log a FTF for three days, that happened recently (ducking).  :angel:   My idea of how the game should be played is always evolving and as an anal retentive person, I have to keep telling myself that I cannot hold other geocachers to my standards.  As HC has told me more than once, "Its just a game Bert." and this advice is some of the best I've received.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 22 July 2013 - 05:10 AM.

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

Well, it isn't uptrain, because he just DNF'ed it. Hence the acronym we came up with the other day when we went on a futile newbie cache run....TFNN....Thanks for Nothing, Newb 8)

I don't know why uptrain and all those other folks didn't find that cache ("10% Luck/15% Skill" ....GC4F2WY). It was only off by a little over a mile.

Distance from original: 5486.7 feet or 1672.4 meters.

http://coord.info/GLBJZ870

For whatever it's worth, the cache had a great FTF prize in it that fit perfect with the beginning of our belated honeymoon.

#18 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

and as an anal retentive person,

Bert, you're not that anal-retentive or you'd know that's hyphenated.

• Team Four Paw, Baytown Bert and TexasWriter like this
Posted Image

#19 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

What does BB being constipated have to do with newbie profiles? ;)
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#20 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

I don't know why uptrain and all those other folks didn't find that cache ("10% Luck/15% Skill" ....GC4F2WY). It was only off by a little over a mile.

Distance from original: 5486.7 feet or 1672.4 meters.

http://coord.info/GLBJZ870

For whatever it's worth, the cache had a great FTF prize in it that fit perfect with the beginning of our belated honeymoon.

Looks like they fat-fingered it and got the decimal minutes criss-crossed.  You'd think they would have double-checked it on the map after it was submitted, seeing as it was their first cache and all....

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users