106 replies to this topic

#41 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:32 AM

There is a guy you need to talk to, but I need to find out his name.  He was on South Texas team.  He was working on a system of data entry or something that would be able to quickly and more accurately get scores read.

come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#42 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:28 AM

Cool, thanks Keely

Posted Image

#43 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

Ideas for scoring differently came from Cam McCampbell (ABNscot13) and Shelby Schmitz (SchmitzFam4).  The idea was to get more towards MOGA where there are team competition and individual competition, each suited to which kind of competitor you are.  Maybe we should look at how MOGA does it, when it is time to decide how to format the Challenge when we run it?  Or make suggestions to the board, if the board is going to come up with a TX Challenge committee that would help run the Challenge every year, to make it consistent and seamless...

#44 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

Wow, I just watched the MOGA video.. pretty cool.... 

#45 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

When we start talking about planning, make sure you guys talk to Greg about his idea for scoring.  Are we set on GBP as the location?  Is there enough parking at a specific pavilion area at GBP for the event?

#46 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

I'm not in favor of GBP. That is all.

• Kirbydox, cachestacker, DangerKitties and 3 others like this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#47 thacatfish

thacatfish

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Locationmt. belvieu, Texas

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

I agree about gbp. Not sure if thats a great idea for tx challenge
  • cachestacker, DangerKitties and Jhawk! like this

#48 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

We like GBP but not for a Texas Challenge.  Just as soon as you planned an event there, the whole thing would be under water...much worse than when we had it at Brazos Bend SP. 

Posted Image

#49 Jhawk!

Jhawk!

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

Would be enjoyable to see a certain region do the TEXAS series though.  :angel:

img.aspx?txt=The+Chuck+Norris+of+Caching

#50 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,324 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

http://www.houstonfarmandranch.org/

Pricey though... caches could be anywhere in Bear Creek, to GBP, Army Corps, Terry Hersey, etc... 

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#51 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

I like the MOGA rules about no vehicles.  If we could keep the competitors walking, it would be much easier to keep people from leaving early.

I agree about GBP possibly being under water or very wet.  March is usually the wettest part of the year.

• Kirbydox and KeyResults like this
Posted Image

#52 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Throwing some more location idea out there:

Pasadena Municipal Fairgrounds

Fort Bend County Fairgrounds (Rosenburg)

Brazoria County Fairgrounds (Angleton)

Montgomery County Fairgrounds (Conroe)

All of these places probably have large pavilions similar to Bastrop, and lots of parking.

Posted Image

#53 Huff-Suter

Huff-Suter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSpring Tx

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

We are not in Favor of GBP either for a Texas challenge- we would not compete in that park....There are a lot of great state parks that could work...and all our state parks could use the boost with the funds that have been cut over the years.... with the amount of geo  campers that come and hotels that have been built..Galveston state park could work... it could be a urban/state park combo challenge and if they ever split the challenge into novice and experienced, could be a great venue with beach and woods...... just an opinion....

• green-eyed and Jhawk! like this
Team Huff-Suter...
Cachin since-June 29-2011
Posted Image

#54 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

I like the idea of Galveston. There is a good variety of caching environments in the area. It's a longer drive for most in the state though.

Out of curiosity, what locations has SETX hosted the event in the past?

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#55 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Now I see this thread about MOGA...

Agree that TXGA should look into that. Bert - as rep this is now ur job.
Posted Image

#56 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:21 AM

What is MOGA?

TXGA SETX Representative

#57 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

To facilitate people traveling from the far side of the State, I think the location being central would be a terrific concession.  How about Brenham.  they are very enthused with the idea of geocaching and would welcome the 500+ people.

TXGA SETX Representative

#58 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

I like the idea of Galveston. There is a good variety of caching environments in the area. It's a longer drive for most in the state though.

Out of curiosity, what locations has SETX hosted the event in the past?

Huntsville SP, Brazos Bend SP and Huntsville SP. 

http://vb.texasgeoca...llenge&tabid=40

Edited by HoustonControl, 28 March 2014 - 06:33 AM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#59 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

We are not in Favor of GBP either for a Texas challenge- we would not compete in that park....There are a lot of great state parks that could work...and all our state parks could use the boost with the funds that have been cut over the years.... with the amount of geo  campers that come and hotels that have been built..Galveston state park could work... it could be a urban/state park combo challenge and if they ever split the challenge into novice and experienced, could be a great venue with beach and woods...... just an opinion....

I agree that the State Parks are great places to hold the event, however, let me say just a couple of negative things...

1.  For the 2011 TC in Huntsville, the park staff had to approve every single cache placement inside the park, and were fairly restrictive about staying close to the trails.  Also, a control burn the week before the challenge, took out about 1/4 of the caches that had already been placed.  The hide team really had to scramble to get those reset elsewhere.

2.  For the 2007 TX in Brazos Bend, the Brazos river flooded just a day before the Challenge, so there was not time to reset the placement of caches.

I checked caches on the day before and all was fine, however on the day of the challenge, the water level had continued to rise and some places were cut off by waist deep water.  

On the positive side, Huntsville provides close access to the Lone Star Hiking trails.

Maybe there could be an activity cache at "Old Sparky" ....   :startled:

Posted Image

#60 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:34 AM

1.  For the 2011 TC in Huntsville, the park staff had to approve every single cache placement inside the park, and were fairly restrictive about staying close to the trails.  Also, a control burn the week before the challenge, took out about 1/4 of the caches that had already been placed.  The hide team really had to scramble to get those reset elsewhere.

Huntsville SP (in 2011) also wanted all the cache locations a couple of months ahead of time, so they could vet them, but wouldn't let us acutally place the caches until 6 days prior to the challenge. Originally, they wanted us to place the caches TWO DAYS before the challenge, but we convinced them that we all had lives and couldn't be driving to Huntsville mid-week to do this. I think they were the most restrictive host when it came to cache-hiding that we've ever dealt with.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users