106 replies to this topic

#21 JustKeely

JustKeely

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Are there enough hotels nearby those locations to accommodate the large number of travelers we would expect to have?  The only issue I see with any of those locations is that there is not camping options.  Of course, the Port Aransas Challenge showed that people will still come.  Lake Houston Wilderness Park I think could be an option.  They have a group dining hall and there has been times the entire park has been reserved for private events - we could probably do the same.  There are cabins and lots of camping spots.

come visit me at www.stateofwilderness.com

#22 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

Lake Houston Wilderness Park = Awesome place.

TXGA SETX Representative

#23 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

Are there enough hotels nearby Lake Houston Wilderness park to accommodate the large number of travelers we would expect to have?  Would one stay in New Caney, or Huffman?

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#24 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

Are there enough hotels nearby those locations to accommodate the large number of travelers we would expect to have?  The only issue I see with any of those locations is that there is not camping options.  Of course, the Port Aransas Challenge showed that people will still come.  Lake Houston Wilderness Park I think could be an option.  They have a group dining hall and there has been times the entire park has been reserved for private events - we could probably do the same.  There are cabins and lots of camping spots.

Do you mean hotels nearby GBP?  There's lots of hotels in the Katy area.  As far as camping goes, Stephen F. Austin State Park north of Sealy is about a 40 minute drive to GBP, with lots of places to stop for breakfast on the way.  I'm not sure if that's considered too far though.  I drive further than that every day!

I think being on the west side off of I-10 would be more convenient for most of the travelers coming from different parts of the state.  Lake Houston might be more convenient for people from Dallas but adds an extra hour for everyone else.

Edited by ~windknot~, 24 October 2013 - 08:42 AM.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#25 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

Would one stay in New Caney, or Huffman?

This one would not, the excitement would be too much for me. Close to retirement guys have to slow down a bit, Larry, don't let the bright lights of Huffman or Crosby bedazzle you.

#26 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

As long as were still at the idea stage, I'd like to throw Brazos Bend State Park into the mix.  It's arguably the best State Park in the SETX area, has a lot of geocaches already, and is about 25 minutes from the Southwest Freeway in Rosenberg.

• green-eyed likes this

#27 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

As long as were still at the idea stage, I'd like to throw Brazos Bend State Park into the mix.  It's arguably the best State Park in the SETX area, has a lot of geocaches already, and is about 25 minutes from the Southwest Freeway in Rosenberg.

We held the 2007 TX Challenge at Brazos Bend.  The wife and I didn't camp, so we ended up staying in a hotel in Rosenberg -- a good 45 minutes away.  I might as well just gone home to Baytown for the night.  The challenge was a lot of fun, not counting the 6" of rain we'd gotten that week that flooded large areas of the park.

#28 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

We held the 2007 TX Challenge at Brazos Bend.  The wife and I didn't camp, so we ended up staying in a hotel in Rosenberg -- a good 45 minutes away.  I might as well just gone home to Baytown for the night.  The challenge was a lot of fun, not counting the 6" of rain we'd gotten that week that flooded large areas of the park.

Huh, I got that drive time from Google Maps.  I'm sure it is longer going from a specific address to all the way into the park though.  I was a noobler that didn't log finds yet back in 2007 so I didn't know it had been there before.  All of the places mentioned so far could be as great as we make it so I'm looking forward to it.

#29 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

Well, my drive time may have included a stop for breakfast.  :angel:   It certainly included waiting in line to get in the park, since there was a crush of TX Challenge participants waiting in line to pay their entry.

#30 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 24 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

I think being on the west side off of I-10 would be more convenient for most of the travelers coming from different parts of the state.  Lake Houston might be more convenient for people from Dallas but adds an extra hour for everyone else.

If you think Lake Houston helps Dallas Cachers then Brazos Bend helps no one.  It is an hour and a half from The Woodlands alone. 

Recommendations are great.  I am partial to Jones State Forest but having the challenge there may not be an ideal locale. 

GBP is not bad in my opinion as well as SFA since it allows for camping etc,

Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

SFA could be a camping spot but it couldn't hold the challenge.  It doesn't have enough trails and I doubt it has enough space for lots of people.   I am not necessarily promoting GBP, but the Boy Scouts used to be able to get permission to camp in a certain section of the park and that might be a possibility if someone talked to the right people.  

Posted Image

#32 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

I think it would be great to share our GBP with the rest of the geocachers.  The rules there are so unlike the state parks it will be new and exciting for all.  I think we can all agree that GBP is "special" to us and I think it would be nice to share.

That said, I haven't been to Jones park yet (no, really!) and i know that is also special.

BBSP is nice, but its dang hard to get to.  7 miles from my house and 45 minutes or more to drive there.

Posted Image

#33 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:56 PM

OK. GBP seems to be the front runner so far. I will do some investigating into camping locations (availability) just to have the information available for an informed decision.

#34 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

GBP has some large area's with pavilions, as well as Bear Creek Park and plenty of parking and a variety of hotels/motels within 10-15 minutes!  Bear Creek has the section where they hold the annual wild game cook off.

Posted Image

#35 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,725 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

OK. GBP seems to be the front runner so far. I will do some investigating into camping locations (availability) just to have the information available for an informed decision.

There's a Walmart on Highway 6 :uglystupid2:

Posted Image

#36 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:14 PM

and they allow people to park overnight - free camping!

Posted Image

#37 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Bumping this one to keep it near the top. I/WE am going to start SERIOUSLY planning in a couple of weeks.....

#38 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

I washed a whole load of underwear last night.

TXGA SETX Representative

#39 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationHumble, Tx

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

Since you go commando are you planning on using them in the role of bread crumbs while out caching. Puts a whole new meaning to back track!!!

Edited by GASTX, 14 March 2014 - 02:00 PM.

• TexasWriter likes this
Posted Image

#40 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

I would like to be involved in the scoring for 2016.  I just did my own scoring this weekend (only 36 score cards) and I have a new appreciation for what the TC scoring committee has to do for each challenge.   Of course, I came up with a couple of ideas to improve speed and provide complete and very quick visibility of each and every score card.

I'd love to talk to who has been on past scoring committees to see what has been done and how it worked.  Please PM me or direct me to a list if there is one.

thanks,

-Greg

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users