98 replies to this topic

#1 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

SETX will be hosting the TEXAS CHALLENGE in 2016. I would like to start discussions on where, what, who and all that. I know that the previous hosts are compiling a detailed book with hints and such. I would like to have it fashioned like GW where it is already to go "live" as soon as it is announced. TXGA has a new system for ordering (the Lone Star Roundup is the first time using it) and I hope that it will prevent alot of the problems from the past.

I know I said I would be hosting an event to compile a list of works and not-so works with challenge, I will do so soon.

I AM NOT RAISING MY HAND AT THIS TIME TO DO ANYTHING BUT START THE DISCUSSION GOING. This is also not for SETX TEAM participations but the HOSTING of the event.

• cajunabear likes this

#2 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Interesting that I see you posted this some time ago and there has been no posts.  Guess I will start by saying it is a long time between now and then but I would be happy to help.  I have organized and helped organize a few events in my volunteer world but don't want to say to what extent I will do what until I know more.

#3 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:12 AM

I want to do the silent auction.

Posted Image

#4 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

Any thoughts about putting it in George Bush Park?  Would give some of the locals a real home court advantage.

Eagle

Posted Image

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

George Bush Park is a home court advantage?  LOL

• Cache Control and TexasWriter like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Where would the challenge be located in GBP?  There is not a good place for that.  We could however easily have it in Jones State Forest.  Its large enough and has two sides to make it interesting and could add some great urban hides not far from there.  Only problem would be parking but I could get it opened up for that.  If it rains we could move HQ to there classroom buildings.

• ohl hockey guy and Baytown Bert like this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

GBP has 3 large pavilions and a parking lot to hold several hundred cars.  The pavilions are reserved through Harris County Precinct 3.

There are water and electricity available.

http://www.pct3.hctx....aspx?Pavilions

Seating capacity is over 500 people.  There is a playground for the kids and a public restroom.

That would be a great place for the challenge.  

Over 7000 acres of thorns, mossies, gators, snakes, and a few trails thrown in for good measure.

We could probably retrofit the TEXAS series to contain the punches for the scorecards.  Whomever makes it back unscratched would be considered a cheater..... I'm just sayin'

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy, 11 October 2013 - 06:47 PM.

• TexasWriter and Dhaulaghiri like this
Posted Image

#8 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

Thanks Stan then i think it would be dang near perfect and make them do the TEXAS series or smiley face after it has rained for a week.

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

I vote GBP

Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

What would be awesome is to archive every cache in GBP, section it off in 528 feet grids and assign a section to as many people as were willing to maintain them and saturate that place.  It could possibly be the biggest area of caches in the world.  Of course, it would take a monstrous group effort to even archive them all.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

You're thinking outside the box again, Bert. Actually, the box is way the heck over there.

Thought about you today, Commando Bert, when I read a quote from an old Scottish gentleman who said that kilts were the best invention ever for procreating and for diarrhea. He was talking about soldiers so he may have worded it a bit differently
  • Baytown Bert likes this

#12 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

What would be awesome is to archive every cache in GBP, section it off in 528 feet grids and assign a section to as many people as were willing to maintain them and saturate that place.  It could possibly be the biggest area of caches in the world.  Of course, it would take a monstrous group effort to even archive them all.

I see a price increase coming on Berty Tubes!

#13 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

So, were the Berty Tubes greeted with enthusiasm at Octoberfest?

TXGA SETX Representative

#14 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

Oh yeah, but I did get approached by one person not familiar with them, and of course theirs was one of the bags without caps. The first question was "How is this waterproof?", After I quit laughing, I had to explain and tell him what caps would fit them. It just amazes me that a newbie cacher who has never before attended an event would ask about the caps that way.

• Baytown Bert, TexasWriter and green-eyed like this

#15 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'm planning another LTB (Like-to-Bike) series over my way, and all the hides will be Berty tubes. I'm thinking of calling it "LTB XX - Berty Tube Trials" with "XX" being the cache number. I've gotta plot it via Google Earth, but I'm thinking I can get easily get 10 in the spot I'm eyeballing. It's time BB got more press on the Berty tubes...although I anticipate being asked what Berty tubes are and where they come from. :D

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#16 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

As a matter fact, yes they were. We didn't look into our gift bags till after returning home and were real happy with the contents. Now we have a use for those plastic tops we have been saving. The Dragon company had some really neat things in the bag too.
Another event well done.

So, were the Berty Tubes greeted with enthusiasm at Octoberfest?

#17 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Anyone planning a P&G hike & Bike series needs to let me know and I'll get the Berty Tubes to you.

TXGA SETX Representative

#18 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:13 PM

Me and Rick are working on a P&G series.  26 out right now.  Think they will all be 1.5/1.5 caches.  But if your most of the cachers I know we will have to list them as 5/5's.  What a shame.  Something about if Gators are every 10 feet and a water moccasin every other 10 feet they think you should rate it higher.

sorry GSGuru  Didn't mean to high jack.   

Edited by Cache Control, 13 October 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#19 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

Anyone planning a P&G hike & Bike series needs to let me know and I'll get the Berty Tubes to you.

That is exactly what mine will be. And I have continued to collect caps even though I've outfitted all my Berty tubes, so if anyone needs caps, just let me know.

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#20 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 23 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

How did this go soo far off topic.. heehee

I really like GBP. I also like Jones Park. I wanted to have the website and detail set in stone at the end of the 2015 Texas Challenge so people can start planning and scheming.

I also want to do a "amazing race" type of thing for those not wanting to get bombarded in the challenge itself.

I know it may be a long way off but any large event takes about 2 years in planning and I want it to be SPECTACULAR!

• Kalvey likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users