#21 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:10 AM

Speaking of Internet weirdos.  This guy was following HoustonControl around Baytown last night while he trying to get a FTF! 

Geocaching6-27-135_zps098dbd5f.jpg

TXGA SETX Representative

#22 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Speaking of Internet weirdos.  This guy was following HoustonControl around Baytown last night while he trying to get a FTF! 

Geocaching6-27-135_zps098dbd5f.jpg

Yep, I would have shot that crap on sight. Lol

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#23 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

That's that Channelview crowd.

TXGA SETX Representative

#24 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yikes!!!!

Posted Image

#25 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:25 PM

At least she looks happy!!!

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#26 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

FTF sandbagging used to be considered something of a sport around here.  By a certain crowd of cachers.  Since I don't hunt FTF's much, it never mattered to me, but I have considered it a price of entry to the FTF game.. 

My pet peeve is unremarkable micros without hints.  I view caching as an unspoken conversation between the hider and the finder and as an urban hider myself, I know the reasons for micros.  Standing around in a public place obviously searching for something leads me to have unkind, if unspoken, words for the hider.

As for micros in general, as long as the hider makes it plain what the finder will be in for, go for it.  There is a place in geocaching for very hard to find caches.  In fact there is a particular cache in Memorial park that comes to mind with a hint that was as misleading as it was accurate.  Thankfully there was a group to share in the misery. 

Edited by Great Birds, 02 July 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#27 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

FTF sandbagging used to be considered something of a sport around here.  By a certain crowd of cachers.  Since I don't hunt FTF's much, it never mattered to me, but I have considered it a price of entry to the FTF game.. 

My pet peeve is unremarkable micros without hints.  I view caching as an unspoken conversation between the hider and the finer and as an urban hider myself, I know the reasons for micros.  Standing around in a public place obviously searching for something leads me to have unkind, if unspoken, words for the hider.

As for micros in general, as long as the hider makes it plain what the finder will be in for, go for it.  There is a place in geocaching for very hard to find caches.  In fact there is a particular cache in Memorial park that comes to mind with a hint that was as misleading as it was accurate.  Thankfully there was a group to share in the misery. 

I love the hard to find ones, but only when they are hard because they were extremely well camo'ed or ingenious hides. There is a clear line (to me) between a difficult hide and a stupid hide. I've searched for both and had varying degrees of success with both. I don't mind setting up camp for an hour to look for a tiny micro that is well hidden as long as the coords are on. If the coords haven't been validated by the CO using Google Earth and/or walking the coords down a few times, then they shouldn't be putting out a 4.5 or 5 difficulty cache in my opinion. Then there is the whole topic of maintenance. Evil hides on the ground fall prey to landscapers, Mother Nature, heavy-handed searchers who are rough on GZ, etc. I treat the GZ of evil hides like I'm on a putting green of a golf course and do my very best to "leave no trace" of me even being there....except my signature on the log. :coolsmiley:

• Baytown Bert likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#28 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

If the coords haven't been validated by the CO using Google Earth and/or walking the coords down a few times, then they shouldn't be putting out a 4.5 or 5 difficulty cache in my opinion.

Sounds like you have muttered a few unkind words for hiders too.  

#29 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

I try to get FTF's where I can so yes it is frustrating for me to drive out of my way to get one and see that someone has been there.. I agree if you just left fine but if it has been hours or even a day then it should be done... (one time I was slow on getting one logged but at the same time I found it with others who had already logged so at least it wasn't sitting there looking like it has never been found).

One thing frustrating to me and maybe I don't know all the "rules" is one that is 1/1 so a very easy rating and no one has found it for almost 2 years.  It has been DNF'd several times and I think several requests for it to be archived and someone comes along and claims a find.  I know they didn't as they appear to be teenagers messing around by the caches they recently hidden in people's yards or very close.  I guess this goes back to the comment of people not doing maintenance. 

Speaking of maintenance if a person isn't active any more and someone offers to adopt their cache, I don't understand why they wouldn't just accept the offer to help them.  One cache I am thinking of it is obvious in the logs that the cache goes missing every so often so if you aren't going to keep it up then why not either archive it or let someone adopt it who is willing to take care of it. 

What is frustrating to me is to see caches sitting out there that haven't been found in a while, are obviously missing and won't be archived.  Some people would say who cares there are enough others in the area get those but I think it is frustrating that it is one that we all can't mark off our list of finds.  Which then leads me to the question of to just drop a new cache in place of where it used to be or not!?!?

Ooops... guess I got on a soap box  :stirpot:  or did I hijack the thread? :uglystupid2:

• green-eyed likes this

#30 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

No, your question is a valid one IMO and that is why I will take the heat and drop a cache, but only if I can be sure that it is missing. I got egg on my face on STS cache in particular, but it is just a game after all. Dropping a replacement cache is a tricky subject and believe it or not, I do take it serious. Tomorrow (with P+'s blessing), I'll look for the missing ones on his Midtown Bike series and then if I can't find it, I'll drop a replacement and put it back in play for all to enjoy.

One of my pet peeves is also caches that are not maintianed or responded to, especially if the cacher has a lot of finds and is still actively pursuing the game. It just doesn't compute. I am on a near quest to publish 200 caches. I am at 198, as soon as my latest publishes. The day I can't maintain them, I will offer them for adoption, or archive them period. It's a personal decision and I'm going to stick with it. BTW, I noticed the Florida Prime Reviewer was archiving caches here again last night. Awesome! Here is my cache in the queue:

http://i86.photobuck...zps56333001.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert, 02 July 2013 - 10:06 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users