• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 sugarlandians

sugarlandians

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

Do you have a pet peeve?  I bumped into my #1 pet peeve this morning.

I was going for a FTF on a new cache about a mile from my office in Pasadena.

I was in decent business clothes and spent 15 minutes pushing through some brush to get to the cache, only to find out that someone else had made a FTF on it and had not bothere to log it.

The FTF was yesterday, so they had time to do it.

Folks, if you are #15 or 20 to find the cache, I could care less.

But, if you are FTF, LOG IT!  Let others know that the FTF is no longer available!

(steps off soap box)

btw, the cache is very nice for someone's first attempt...and the coords were spot on. 

• Cache Control and TexasWriter like this

#2 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

Although I agree with Sugerlandians on logging a FTF right away, not everyone has a SmartPhone with internet access. Still, IF you're going in for a FTF you should log it ASAP when you get home.

One of my per peeves?

CO's who don't do maintenance on caches even when logs keep showing DNF's and what not.

Oh, and people taking TB's/Coins and not logging them!

• Cache Control likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#3 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:51 AM

I rarely log my finds.  :stirpot:

As for FTFs I won't log them immediately because it will stop the chase and that sucks for the hider :)

My long standing peeve is micros in the woods or caches so difficult to find that they aren't fun to find.

• TexasGolfer likes this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Mine are simple and common.

1. Cachers with 300+ finds who abandon their caches and won't respond to email or Needs maint logs.

2. Nanos in general when something larger would work.

3. Short fat people with good hygiene.

Edited by Baytown Bert, 25 June 2013 - 09:17 AM.

• Cache Control likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

I guess I'm a peevy person, because I agree with the non-FTF logging (it's a "respect for others" thing) and I agree with the one about CO's who choose to suck at maintenance (especially when they are sitll active cachers). I think nano's are fun sometimes, but I think it's helpful to note that it's a nano type container so that those who don't like them can just skip it (there are even times I don't feel like looking for a nano).

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#6 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

I rarely log my finds.  :stirpot:

As for FTFs I won't log them immediately because it will stop the chase and that sucks for the hider :)

My long standing peeve is micros in the woods or caches so difficult to find that they aren't fun to find.

Yes its true.   I received logs from 3 years ago just a few months back from this man!   I agree with micro in the woods!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

Cachers with 2 finds who pick up geocoins out of caches... then never log in again or respond to emails.  My John Grisham geocoin went that route out of the first cache I placed it in. :knuppel2:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

I was going to log it HC, but since yer getting all twisted over it...  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 rathergohiking

rathergohiking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

My pet peeve is micro caches that have coordinates consistently off by 30+ feet with no hints.  That said, I hate micros in general anyway.

Not all who wander are lost......JRR Tolkien

#10 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

My pet peeve is micro caches that have coordinates consistently off by 30+ feet with no hints.  That said, I hate micros in general anyway.

Or better yet, caches listed as "Not Chosen" or "Other" with coords way off and no hints. Great way to waste a lot of time....

#11 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'll have to agree w/ SL's - I can't stand it when going after an FTF and the person that FTF'd it didn't log it - and it's been several hours and on more than one occasion a day later.  Several have been by one particular offender (you know who you are - and I know you have a smart phone as we discussed it at an event once  :tickedoff: )

Second Pet Peeve is newbie cachers not taking the time to get good coords, or checking their coords in Google Maps Sat view or Google Earth.  I hate running after FTF's on newbie hiders as you never know what you're going to get.  And it's a double edged sword where I live, as we don't have a lot of hiders (and the more prolific hiders have moved) as I want more hiders to start hiding, but I also want to smack some sense into them about how to use their friggin smart phones to get a good averaged coord and simply popping the number into google maps for some easy landmark verification.

Posted Image Posted Image

#12 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

I am still a new cacher and I am guilty of lots of offenses.  I have had to learn the hard way how to place caches, and I think I get better each time.  I don't do a lot of FTF searches so that isn't a big deal for me.  I do feel sad when mine new cache is found and then ignored like a ugly prom date!   But I just try to make interesting hides so people will come find them and keep them from getting lonely. 

Peeves:

1.  poor cache maintenance in any way.  wet log, bad coordinates, etc. should be fixed if at all possible.

2.  missing caches not getting archived after MONTHS by PR - that makes me nutty

3.  people not putting caches back as they found them

4.  snakes and spiders and things that go bump in the night/day.  that is more heebie jeebie than peevey but i just wanted to mention again for the day i really do not like snakes. 

All this talking about caching is making me want to go find/hide something!

#13 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:37 PM

Pet peeves:

1. Nanos - For the most part I delete them from my GSAK database

2. Micros - See #1 for the most part

3. Power Trails (unless they are used to highlight some local features / historical landmarks, Etc) - To me they are just a quick number builder, I have done a couple of small ones because they were on a greenbelt I walk in my area and when done really didnt care much for them. Again mostly deleted from my GSAK database.

4. Garmin Express!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Second Pet Peeve is newbie cachers not taking the time to get good coords, or checking their coords in Google Maps Sat view or Google Earth.  I hate running after FTF's on newbie hiders as you never know what you're going to get.  And it's a double edged sword where I live, as we don't have a lot of hiders (and the more prolific hiders have moved) as I want more hiders to start hiding, but I also want to smack some sense into them about how to use their friggin smart phones to get a good averaged coord and simply popping the number into google maps for some easy landmark verification.

Maybe you can host a Geocaching 101 class in your area and kill two birds with one stone: 1) teach the newbies how to use Google Earth, and 2) generate some increased interest in hiding in your area (if you don't beat them up too bad in #1). :laugh:

#15 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

I'll have to agree w/ SL's - I can't stand it when going after an FTF and the person that FTF'd it didn't log it - and it's been several hours and on more than one occasion a day later.  Several have been by one particular offender (you know who you are - and I know you have a smart phone as we discussed it at an event once  :tickedoff: )

I think we should "pants" that guy...   :knuppel2:

#16 sugarlandians

sugarlandians

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yes, and the person STILL has not logged that FTF. 

#17 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Shout box: Grabbed 8 FTF's on the South CLAPS today

Should we pants TW at the next CLAPS event?  ;)

Posted Image

#18 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Shout box: Grabbed 8 FTF's on the South CLAPS today

Should we pants TW at the next CLAPS event?  ;)

Didn't have a waterproof case for my phone...only for my GPS, so I didn't log them on the water. Then, no sooner had I walked in the door after driving home but my phone went off with three FTF opportunities. Being that I didn't anticipate anyone night-paddling out to get the ones I just FTF'ed, I rationalized grabbing the other three FTF's first, then logging the CLAPS finds. Excuses, excuses....I know. :NTN:  I have to admit that I was hoping that TFP was going to paddle out there to find that they had been FTF'ed already. :stirpot:  Oh, I'm sorry, we weren't naming names were we?

But, hey, anyone is welcome to pants me anytime they want. Lord knows I've done enough to deserve it. Lol

#19 CornDoll

CornDoll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

But, hey, anyone is welcome to pants me anytime they want. 

Heeyyyyy I believe I've got dibs on that ;)

• TexasWriter likes this

#20 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:44 AM

But, hey, anyone is welcome to pants me anytime they want.

Heeyyyyy I believe I've got dibs on that ;)

Girl you better stake your claim cuz there are some real weirdos that troll these boards looking for easy pickings. I have to warn my kids about Internet weirdos.
  • TexasWriter and CornDoll like this
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users