7 replies to this topic

#1 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

I was skimming that thread about finding the old cache that is on GC's blog.

Someone posted a link to this map. I think it could be quite useful if you're looking for a place to camp with light pollution. Maybe enhance your view of the night sky.

http://www.jshine.ne...onomy/dark_sky/

Colorado Bend State Park seems to be on the fringes. Seems like I remember that park being really dark at night.

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#2 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Lost Maples and Garner are also in the dark.

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

I noticed the George Observatory at BBSP is in the yellow and almost in the orange.  Our potential property out near Fredericksburg shows to be in the purple fringe, but from being out there at night I can confirm it is very dark and the stars are brilliant!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 Great Birds

Great Birds

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

I was skimming that thread about finding the old cache that is on GC's blog.

Someone posted a link to this map. I think it could be quite useful if you're looking for a place to camp with light pollution. Maybe enhance your view of the night sky.

http://www.jshine.ne...onomy/dark_sky/

Colorado Bend State Park seems to be on the fringes. Seems like I remember that park being really dark at night.

Nice site.  I was out at CBSP last weekend.  The super moon was so bright it cast distinct shadows.  You couldn't tell just how good the stars are, but they were still better than Houston at a new moon.  

#5 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

I'll never forget the first time I camped on the continental divide in SW Colorado and saw the REAL night sky for the first time in my 20's. I suspect many, like me as a young man, have no idea the wonder they're missing above them. The other reason I won't forget that night is the vicious lightning and hail storm that pummeled my tent and truck dropping temp into 20's in the wee hours that same morning. I thought it ironic.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#6 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,297 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

I've always looked up. Last week I seized the opportunity to find the only Virtual cache in Puerto Rico.

Back in 98 (21 at the time :)) I had over 100 computers running SETI. (perks of managing the computers in 5 training rooms)

http://www.seti.org/ | http://en.wikipedia....ibo_Observatory

But there is no place like the desert when looking up at the night sky.

The dish is 1000ft in diameter. The posts that support the receiver are roughly a 1/4 mile apart.

The dish (reflector) weighs 300 tons and has 2mm accuracy.

Attached File  BigDish.jpg   48.73KB   19 downloads

Attached File  BigDish2.jpg   70.59KB   20 downloads

Help me help you.

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

Contact!

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

I've camped at Colorado Bend, it's a great park. And, if memory serves me, is where me and the kid were flooded in and had to stay an extra night a couple of years ago.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users