• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

A few months ago I read a thread here about ammo cans getting stolen and started making my new caches Premium only based on that information.  I see a lot less "action" on my premium caches though.  Do you have a rationale for when you chose one and when you choose the other?

#2 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

All of mine are public, but that is the area I publish them in.

TXGA SETX Representative

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

I've made a couple of caches premium only over the years for various reasons... usually for what you mentioned.  A lot of times people will make travel bug hotels premium only to try to prevent trackables from being stolen or just plain mishandled.  Newbie flash-in-the-pan cachers that run out and find five caches total, pick up a couple of geocoins, then never cache again, are less likely to be premium members.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Caches for which you want dedicated cachers -- i.e., becuase of maintenance reasons and for reasons like HC said -- are why I do it.  Special Tools is premium as are the STS series caches.  Well, that and because on the STS series the circles look better than the squares.  :crazy2:

Posted Image

#5 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

One thing which seems to help in my area of the country (the Southeast) is to say the cache is a regular size container on the cache page and NOT mention it is an ammo can. 

There is no adventure without risk.

#6 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:05 PM

All of my 185 or so caches are premium because I'm a snob. :2funny:  Actually, I started hiding premium for the same reason as you, R5. I was told by more than one CO that there were lots of ammo cans and other containers coming up missing in the general area. Also, I had come across a couple caches where anti-cachers had taken the time to actually go find a cache and write nasty-grams to cachers across the log sheets. Really? Yes, really. Go figure. Even with all of mine premium, I get a pretty steady stream of visitors and I'm okay with it. I don't think $30/year is very much to ask. That's my .02

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#7 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

All of my 185 or so caches are premium because I'm a snob. :2funny:  Actually, I started hiding premium for the same reason as you, R5. I was told by more than one CO that there were lots of ammo cans and other containers coming up missing in the general area. Also, I had come across a couple caches where anti-cachers had taken the time to actually go find a cache and write nasty-grams to cachers across the log sheets. Really? Yes, really. Go figure. Even with all of mine premium, I get a pretty steady stream of visitors and I'm okay with it. I don't think $30/year is very much to ask. That's my .02

and then the snob gets emails from annoyed 10 yr olds... (he's ok with the reason...and i'll get him premium for his birthday or something)

• TexasWriter likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#8 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

and then the snob gets emails from annoyed 10 yr olds... (he's ok with the reason...and i'll get him premium for his birthday or something)

There are a couple of ways for non-premium members to log premium member caches.  Groundspeak is fully aware of both methods and has left the "back door" open as a type of family plan so everyone who caches together does not have to pay for premium.

Edited by OHail, 20 June 2013 - 08:20 AM.

There is no adventure without risk.

#9 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

i need to learn how to log the premium for my son and go around groundspeak...  he's told me he doesn't mind hunting for the premium ones with me and not signing because he has fun.  good kid, but i want to give him credit for the ones he's signed paper on.

Posted Image

#10 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

After you log the cache and the page shows your log sign out and sign in as your son. When you log in as him the log page will be there for him to log.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

After you log the cache and the page shows your log sign out and sign in as your son. When you log in as him the log page will be there for him to log.

i tried that once before and i thought it wouldn't let me.  i'll try it again and see if it'll go through.

*edited*  nope.  still won't let me.  gives me the page to upgrade to premium instead.  bummer.

Edited by green-eyed, 20 June 2013 - 08:46 AM.

Posted Image

#12 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

http://www.geocachin...ek/log.aspx?WP=XXXXXX

replace the XXXX with the GC number.

Posted Image

#13 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

http://www.geocachin...ek/log.aspx?WP=XXXXXX

replace the XXXX with the GC number.

nope.  same thing. 

Posted Image

#14 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

My guess is it depends on which browser you are using.  

Eagle

Posted Image

#15 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

I pm-ed her what I posted above and it works for her now.  Think posting causes an abbreviated cut-n-paste here.

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#16 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

I managed to give the kid 3 premium caches I know he signed logs for with me this afternoon.  yippee!!  now he can find some of TW's premium caches AND log them without complaining to TW. 

• Baytown Bert and TexasWriter like this
Posted Image

#17 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

I managed to give the kid 3 premium caches I know he signed logs for with me this afternoon.  yippee!!  now he can find some of TW's premium caches AND log them without complaining to TW. 

You should still feel free to compalin to TW.   ;)

• TexasWriter, CornDoll and green-eyed like this
Posted Image

#18 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

Very interesting!!!  I have been paying for Brandon to have a premium membership only because I take him with me.  If I am reading right you are saying to copy the html to the log cache and then log in as the person who is not a premium member and it should pop up so I could log Brandon?

So the question would be, since Brandon's membership was up to renew and I just got charged do, I would if would let me cancel and they would reimburse if I tell them I don't want him to have it since he may be going away to school for the year.

#19 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Try it.  Brandon does not need the premium membership for you to log it for him.  My kids don't and they log all caches found, premium or otherwise.  ;)

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#20 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

With 1/3 of my job being a quality manager, I get to hear complaints all the time. I've made a profession out of it. Responding to complainers just gives me further practice at how to say empathetic things to them while in my mind (and under my breath) I'm telling them things like "wow, what a whiner" or "well YOU certainly have some high-class problems" and "I see your lips moving but all I can hear is blah, blah, blah" and things like that. Lol. Nah, the kid had a valid question and I gave him a valid answer and a couple of workarounds....being an accommodating quality manager and all.... :laugh:

• CornDoll and green-eyed like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users