14 replies to this topic

#1 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

With CLAPS V2 rolling out, I have been getting many inquiries from newer cachers and people who have never been on the water before.  Many people, simply because they've never done anything like this before, are anxious about trying this let alone going full-tilt into a regular paddle event.  Fears about control, endurance (or lack thereof), getting stuck in the middle of a long paddle, size, etc. have kept them off the water.

So.....  I've been toying with the idea of a Beginning Kayaking 101 event.  Not a full-on paddle event but the idea being that hopefully many of us with yaks can bring ours out to the park and let others who have never been on the water try them out.  Maybe paddle different ones around the dock area to get a feel for the different types of kayaks, etc.  And after a while of that, one or two experienced yakkers could guide the paddle newbies around for an hour or so to do some of the caches close to the park to see what it's like.

Hopefully this will give some of the newer cachers a comfort level about this and we'll see them on the water down the road.

I'd like to get more new people out on the water, but for this event idea I need to get a feel for participation.  I need to know (assuming the date works for you):

1)  If you've never been on the water -- would you be intersted in coming and trying this?

and

2)  If you own a yak, would you be willing to bring it for a few hours on a "cool" summer morning and let some new people try it out -- and take it on a short caching loop.

Depending upon interest for both, I'll also try to work out something with Pinky's.  No guarantees on that.  But I'll try.

Post here or PM me.

Posted Image

#2 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

That is mighty nice of you to think of us kayak deprived newbies.  Rozowski2 voting without consulting with the other 4 - but I say sure, we'd try it out.  And I am happy to rent from Pinky so I don't have to wreck the yak of anyone I know! 

Oh and just to clarify, I kayaked on my honeymoon and enjoyed it immensely.  That was just a mere 11 years ago so I am sure my skills are still very sharp.  Honestly all I remember is getting yelled at my R1 that I was doing it wrong, and trying to beat the Swedish couple that was also on their honeymoon.  Good times. 

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'd bring my yak for the event, if the date works for me.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

Depending on the date I can go and bring my tandem so there would be a free spot.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'd bring my yak for the event, if the date works for me.

Ditto

Posted Image

#6 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

Great idea!!! Not because we are in need of some Kayak101 (we're very experienced), but you can never learn enough and I can even chip in on the 'learning' part.

Back in the days I used to be an outdoor instructor, which meant I had to go out in a kayak and paddle on a river which, depending on the time of year, could get pretty wild. Rapids & all that stuff. Even longer ago, I got to do a number of kayak lessons in school which taught me all about balance, control, different ways to move your 'yak on the water, etc, etc. really valuable on all the Canoe & Kayak trips we've done so far.

Best trip we had so far: a week long paddling trip in a Canoe on the (deserted) lakes of the central Swedish country side, where we had to be completely self reliable, truly awesome!

So if I can get the dates lined up, and if I can convince the missus to come to another event, I'll be there!

Since we're only part-time Houstonians we don't own a 'yak, but so far our experiences with Pinky's have been great, they're really GeoCaching-friendly people!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#7 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:50 AM

The last time we were out in a canoe (never have been in a kayak before) instead of going down the middle of the river, the canoe "somehow" ended up going toward the bank where Mr. davarle hit his head on an overhanging limb, which capsized us.  Needless to say he will never go back in a boat (except for cruise ships).  I'd like to try a kayak at a beginners event, but only in a 2-person kayak with an experienced kayaker 'cause if I'm going down, I'm taking somebody with me!

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

I have a tandem and if I can attend, I will gladly share the front seat, paddle, and PFD with anyone willing to suffer the humiliation of flatulence sounds in the video.

• ATMA likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

I have a tandem and if I can attend, I will gladly share the front seat, paddle, and PFD with anyone willing to suffer the humiliation of flatulence sounds in the video.

You can have one of my kids and it won't just be sounds!
  • Baytown Bert likes this

#10 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

i'd love it.... but gotta wait.  and after your story and rich's story about the gar tonight...

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#11 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

I can bring my yak if the day works out for me.  

LMK

#12 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

I was interested but after TW's story about the gator's when he was after some FTF's, I got pretty nervous about not knowing anything about kayaking made me questioning myself.  I would love to come and learn!

#13 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

I was interested but after TW's story about the gator's when he was after some FTF's, I got pretty nervous about not knowing anything about kayaking made me questioning myself.  I would love to come and learn!

I think the smart thing to do is to go in a 2 person kayak and make sure the other person is tastier than you.  

• green-eyed likes this

#14 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

I think the smart thing to do is to go in a 2 person kayak and make sure the other person is tastier than you.  

And smaller, so you can kick them out easier. 

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#15 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Mostly just fish stories.  But may be best you don't read upcoming logs on #1.  Which I'm sure will be full of said fish stories once pending logs finally get posted. 

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users