• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

With all the warm weather the kayak caches are becoming popular.  The Beginner' Kayak series (#1 GC3P916) have all been checked out and if necessary replaced.  They offer a much easier experience than the CLAPS or Baytown series.  It is a good place to get started or to just take a couple of hours paddling around severl small lakes.  If you feel like a novice, it is a good place to get your feet wet before jumping to the more adventurous caches. 

#2 davarle

davarle

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

With all the warm weather the kayak caches are becoming popular.  The Beginner' Kayak series (#1 GC3P916) have all been checked out and if necessary replaced.  They offer a much easier experience than the CLAPS or Baytown series.  It is a good place to get started or to just take a couple of hours paddling around severl small lakes.  If you feel like a novice, it is a good place to get your feet wet before jumping to the more adventurous caches. 

"it is a good place to get your feet wet" ?

I think I would like to avoid getting my feet wet, and the rest of me when I tip completely over and out of the kayak! :2funny:

Edited by davarle, 11 June 2013 - 12:03 PM.

• Baytown Bert likes this

#3 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:43 PM

I am going after this series in the morning and then off to locate a  few CLAPS caches :cheers:

#4 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:58 PM

If by yourself, please leave a specific float plan w somebody. We just got you back, don't wanna lose you now! Stuff happens. ;)
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,912 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

We spotted this fine gator specimen near CLAPS N24 Sunday.  Didn't look too dangerous, but he did smell a bit...

fcd2a8f8-4360-4d44-aa72-fe3fd282d0dc.jpg

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 Mudfrog

Mudfrog

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationLumberton, Texas

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:08 AM

I am going after this series in the morning and then off to locate a  few CLAPS caches :cheers:

Mustard Devil, good to see you back! I figure you're already on the water this morning but i'll say it anyway,,, be careful out there. As Key Results said, make sure to let someone know your float plan, especially if you're heading out by yourself.

#7 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,024 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

We spotted this fine gator specimen near CLAPS N24 Sunday. Didn't look too dangerous, but he did smell a bit...

What??? No CITO? Shame in you. ;)
Posted Image

#8 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

You can never be too careful! I proved that this afternoon at Big Slough dock. I had just finished locating 5 CLAPS caches and decided my butt is sore, Im going home. Saw a muggle about to launch his own yak, so in  my infinite wisdom I decided to show my skills or the lack thereof in getting out of said yak. Yes you guessed it...the dang thing went turtle on me at the danged dock! Muggle thought I was just too hot and needed to cool off[:)] He helped get me and yak out the water n onto  dry land. The only injuries were my pride and my glasses( some gator has a nice set of Bifocals on his snout just now! Now its off to an eye exam and buy a dry bag( my 12 year old wallet also got way too wet!

#9 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

All I can say is Welcome to the Turtle Club! Membership never is anticipated and almost always dues paid in one form or another! My first was coming into beach through breakers in High Island. Thought I had it...I didn't. Cost me a nice set of fishing pliers and 3 reel rebuilds to get the muck out. Worst part was there were about 50 or so of my "friends" there who couldn't stop clapping and laughing. Canoe or kayak, everyone gets to turtle eventually :)
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#10 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:57 PM

We spotted this fine gator specimen near CLAPS N24 Sunday. Didn't look too dangerous, but he did smell a bit...

What??? No CITO? Shame in you. ;)

Bleh!!!!  :-\

Well the specimen was a bit small, I doubt HC could make a pair of good cowboy boots out of him.  I am sure some gators have already taken care of the problem.

#11 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

"it is a good place to get your feet wet" ?

I think I would like to avoid getting my feet wet, and the rest of me when I tip completely over and out of the kayak! :2funny:

Davarle for what it is worth, I went completely over about 5 times at this series.  I was using a kayak way too small for me and kept flipping over.  As Rich stated,* he was glad he could pick up 1,000 lbs*, because he was the one who kept getting me out of the water.   I will admit, it was a cool drenching and I did drive home with my pride hurt, but hey..no gators in the pond to eat me!!  

This series is fun and I highly recommend for all *yakers*!!

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,912 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

After watching Team Trog turtle (a bit) getting out at Big Island Slough, I elected to paddle over to the closed boat dock and get out there.  It's easy when you have the kayak in a slip with walkways on both sides!  I wrangled the yak out of the water onto the dock OK, but I then had to have someone help me carry it around the barricade and up to the parking area.  Come to think of it, that was Team Trog too! (Thanks Gary!)

• georeyna likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#13 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

After watching Team Trog turtle (a bit) getting out at Big Island Slough, I elected to paddle over to the closed boat dock and get out there.  It's easy when you have the kayak in a slip with walkways on both sides!  I wrangled the yak out of the water onto the dock OK, but I then had to have someone help me carry it around the barricade and up to the parking area.  Come to think of it, that was Team Trog too! (Thanks Gary!)

I have to applaud HC for never turtling in the Kayak he borrowed from his wife's brother.  HC, you should take up surfing now!!

#14 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

That gator is still there and smells worse than my socks!

#15 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

I just got so overheated trying to climb out of that slippery kayak and onto that muddy, slippery embankment that I thought I'd sit in the bayou for a spell and cool off (well, that's my story anyway).

• Baytown Bert likes this

#16 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Is this series easy enough for rozowski5?  Our youngest is 5 and might sit still in a kayak.   We'd like to take them out but haven't figured a good way to organize 3 kids with 2 adults. 

#17 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

With the kids, you might want to use canoes. Three in one and two in the other. The site is a series of three interconnected small lakes. The big one is maybe 300 yards across. The water is usually pretty calm. Fishermen do put some big boats in the water and you can get a small wake from them that will make the kayak or canoe bob up and down. The water is not very cold so with a good PFD it is easy to swim to shore if you go over and can't do a self rescue (this is based on personal experience). These are probably old sand pits so they are fairly deep out away from shore. In some places the shore line drops off pretty quick. I would not want to give advice about kids. Make sure the kids can't slip out of the PFDs if you take them out. If you go, let me know and, if I can, I'll try to come down and join you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users