• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

We are thinking of going to the Baytown Nature Center this Sunday.  Does anyone have any tips on this series?  Last time we just randomly jumped into a series (Elements) it was kind of a mess and I am hoping to avoid that this time.  Any suggestions on where to start/park/avoid snakes?  :)

D

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

HoustonControl is your man on this.  But I'll tell you this is a GREAT place to cache.  Lots of fun to be had here.

Posted Image

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

There are no snakes allowed in the BNC, unless they pay their $3 entry fee. :coolsmiley:  If you go this Sunday, entry is free since it's the first Sunday of the month!  The bad news is, snakes and other riff-raff also get in free. :startled:

Here is a pretty good map that Thot made, showing the area with caches, trails marked, and where you can drive vs where you can walk or bike.  A bike comes in pretty handy, especially in warmer months.

664a1b26-690d-4c9d-ba1c-bc2f420c3147.jpg

You can get a lot of caches by following the trails with short bushwhacks.  For most there is a fairly easy way to get to them (because I don't like bushwhacking either!), so read the cache description for pointers.  A few (Room with a View, For the Birds, Evergreens, Cactus..... oh, and Brute Force) require a bit more work to get to.  There is a Challenge cache in the park for getting 6 cache types in a day.  There are 6 cache types in the park itself and another virtual that is visible from there about 2 miles to the west.  If you are planning to do the Wherigo, make sure you load it up on a playable device (if it's a smartphone, make sure Location Services is enabled for that app!).  It really helps if you can play it on a device you are NOT using as your primary cache-finding device (so you can grab other caches while the cartridge is running).

To maximize your caching efficiency, do this:  Start with the Earthcache -- get the needed info at the visitor's center and the posted coords.  Grab the other nearby caches as you work your way to the west end of San Jacinto Point.  Start the Wherigo cart while out there near it's listed coords. Head south, grabbing other caches as you head to the last stop for the Earthcache at Brownwood Pavilion.  From there, the Wherigo will take you on a clockwise loop around the south end of the park.  You can make other small detours and grab caches along the way.  Sign the log for the Challenge cache while you're down there.  At the final stop for the Wherigo, it will display the coordinates for the cache in a screen.  WRITE THESE DOWN.  If you're using your phone, take a screenshot of them.  You can then finish caching in the park and grab the Wherigo cache itself on the way out of the park.

Read the logs for my BNC-For the Birds cache.  There is a new trail under construction that eliminates about 200' of bushwhacking!

Last of all -- Have FUN!

• green-eyed likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 cook cachers

cook cachers

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

HoustonControl is your man on this.  But I'll tell you this is a GREAT place to cache.  Lots of fun to be had here.

I totally agree. BNC is a great place to cache and some of my best caching memories are from there. HC will give you the best advice but I would just say do a bit of homework before you go so you make the most of your trip. There is loads of parking to move around the place but some/most caches take a bit of walking. Bug spray, water, time and preplanning are all essential to making the most of it. Also look into the history of the place as it plays a big part of the experience.

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

Geeze, HC's advice is so technical. When Aaron Barbee did it he wore flip flops, shorts, and a tank top and he did each one line of sight with one small bottle of water in August(if I remember correctly). Wait, wait, wait - that was TexasWriter. My bad!
  • KeyResults and TexasWriter like this

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

Geeze, HC's advice is so technical. When Aaron Barbee did it he wore flip flops, shorts, and a tank top and he did each one line of sight with one small bottle of water in August(if I remember correctly). Wait, wait, wait - that was TexasWriter. My bad!

It;s funny Bert the first time I was there was in August of 2011.  It was nice weather and no mossies.  Not hot at all.  Then I came back in December of 2011 in as hot and muggy and mossies everywhere. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:11 AM

Wow, thanks all and especially HC!  I am so glad I asked.  My husband read about the sunken town and has been wanting to go for a while. Now that he heard there are cool caches plus Free entry on Sunday we are all in.  I was going to try to get the 6 cache types today and then do the challenge one there.  We will be with the kids so I am not sure we can get all of them but we can try.  We did a fun set (MuddyWaterGirl) of Jones Park last week and we all really enjoyed it.  Coming back to urban nanos stuck under stuff just doesn't have the same shine.  (Yes, I did just place a nano under a bench but it was my son's insistence not my fault!)

Off to find 6 caches before I get to volunteer at field day at noon.  Good luck to me! 

Ps.  I do not have any idea of what a whereigo is or how to play it.  I will have to google that later :)

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Then get the Battleship Texas / San Jacinto Monument along the way and you can get your 6.  Or if you get the WIG have 7.  But if you have not done either, you might be wise to save one of them for down the road when you need a virutal. 

Edited by cachestacker, 31 May 2013 - 07:30 AM.

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

The monument is visible from the park -- just sayin'.  The question asked on the virtual -- how many windows do you see at the top of at the monument from the listed coords (south)? -- can be answered the same by looking at the structure from east.  It is also a benchmark.

Here's the Wherigo cache.  The cache page explains a bit how they work and has links to the needed info.  It has it's own icon!!!

#10 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

Yes, this place is one of the *GREATS* to cache in the Houston area...have fun!  :smitten:

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

We had the Geocaching 101 class in the elevated pavillion and although there was a bit of a breeze, the location was awesome for our part of Texas.

http://img.geocachin...0b0351dc140.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert, 31 May 2013 - 12:15 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

A great park to enjoy fishing or caching!  You'll have lots of fun!!

Posted Image

#13 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Can we still attempt these today without being muddy piggies?

#14 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

Yup.

TXGA SETX Representative

#15 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

We were kind of mud piggies at the beginning of the day.  By the end we were just hot tired little dogs.  It was a fun day though, so thanks for encouraging us to go even though the morning was rainy.   And thanks to Houston Control for going above and beyond in the maintenance of his caches! 

We did miss the challenge cache, which was a bummer since we had busted behind earlier in the week to get the 6 types in one day.  But by the time we realized we had missed it we were really past it and sick of being in the sun.  Next time I need to tell our navigator what to look for - he just ignored it because it was a puzzle cache ??? and we don't usually do those. 

Edited by rozowski5, 03 June 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,811 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Nice to see you guys out there.  Since you already have the 6 cache types, you can sign the log sometime in the future.  You have to come back to get Brute Force anyway, right?

#17 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:13 PM

R5, I challenge you a game of Brute Force. :coolsmiley:

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#18 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:46 AM

I want to film the next mash-up to go after Brute Force.

TXGA SETX Representative

#19 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

R5, I challenge you a game of Brute Force. :coolsmiley:

TW - I do not think I am man enough/dumb enough for that challenge.  HC said something about swimming out with a pen in my mouth and that just sounds silly.  Is your weapon pack waterproof? 

BB- do you pay your reality stars?

#20 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

My reality stars all get their 15 minutes of fame as a reward.
  • green-eyed likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users