#1 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

I have a technical question I don't wanna ask the Prime Reviewer;

I'm working on a multi-cache consisting of 6-7 stages. So far I've mapped out all the intermittent stages, but my problem is the following:

As you might have noticed I recently put out "A Squirrels Delight #1-4", and had to relocate #3 due to a nearby cache I had overlooked (the infamous .1 mile separation rule).

Now in the mail I got from the Prime Reviewer it stated that:

"As is noted in the guidelines, we keep a *minimum* of a 1/10 mile (528 ft) buffer between a cache (or any stage of a multi or puzzle cache), and any other cache (including multi-stage caches, puzzle/mystery caches, and caches that have been temporarily disabled)"

Now, one of my planned stages of the multi IS gonna be closer than .1 of a mile of another cache, and I really need the WP at that (about 100-150 ft from another cache) location. I wonder if there is a way of circumventing the rule just a little bit.

Mind you, I'm not doing the other cache harm, and at the mentioned WP you only have to look for a coordinate/number.

Does anybody know if:

a.: Does the Prime Reviewer actually visit ALL new cache locations, or do they just do a lot of research online?

b.: If I just put the first WP in the description, and then point you to the next AT THE WP, without putting any of the following WP's in the description, will that be enough to adhere to the 'separation rule'?

Tips are appreciated!

Naturally I've considered skipping the aforementioned WP, but that kind of fouls up my whole cache theme.

• thacatfish likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#2 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

On a multi the seperation of stages do not matter within the cache.  IE Stage 1 and 2 can be 10 feet apart and the final another 100 feet.  However all the stages must be  1/10 mile apart from any other cache or its stages.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:28 PM

Also if there is no container at a stage but you are getting information off a sign or numbers off a building then the 1/10 mile does not qualify there with other caches.  IE I have a multi where stage 1 is within 200 feet of another cache, but there is no physical container.  Just a sign to get info off of.  FAMRyan and a few more have caches like this as well.

On a multi the seperation of stages do not matter within the cache.  IE Stage 1 and 2 can be 10 feet apart and the final another 100 feet.  However all the stages must be  1/10 mile apart from any other cache or its stages.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:45 PM

Also Prime Reviewer does not visit caches, before releasing them (he does almost the entire state of Texas). Also my experience he does not even do that much research. Philip
Posted Image

#5 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

So I need to stay in town so I don't miss this one popping??? We will remain in alert mode at the rozowski house until we see this Dhaulaghiri multi show up. The past week PR has been painfully slow, no idea why.

#6 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

PM sent...

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#7 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Also if there is no container at a stage but you are getting information off a sign or numbers off a building then the 1/10 mile does not qualify there with other caches.  IE I have a multi where stage 1 is within 200 feet of another cache, but there is no physical container.  Just a sign to get info off of.  FAMRyan and a few more have caches like this as well.

Ah, now that's useful too, I wasn't planning on putting a container on any of the WP's, they're meant to get you to the next WP.

So I guess I'm good on my idea, great job guys!

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#8 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:31 AM

So I need to stay in town so I don't miss this one popping??? We will remain in alert mode at the rozowski house until we see this Dhaulaghiri multi show up. The past week PR has been painfully slow, no idea why.

LOL, who knows..... I'm not completely ready 'though. 1st I need an appropriate container (don't wanna do another micro/nano), and 2nd I still need to find a good way to get the WP's out there.

Maybe you've got some idea's?

#9 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

My personal opinion is that for a multi cache with that many stages, there needs to be something to hold my interest through all of the stages and and great ending.  Take a look at GC2MP88 Special Tools Required for an excellent example.

Posted Image

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

If GC.com would give 2 smiles for a 4 stage multi, we would be more prone to go after them.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:01 AM

So, under "Bert's Rules for Multi's", I should be able to log a find for each 2 stages of a multi-cache.

That will certainly up my numbers a bit.....

If GC.com would give 2 smiles for a 4 stage multi, we would be more prone to go after them.

Posted Image

#12 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:02 AM

Maybe the cache owner can allow an additional smiley for an additional requiement on the same cache. The cache will definitely have less visitors with a 4 stage multi. The only exception would be like the one in Austin that has a great final.

Posted Image

#13 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

I own one 4 stage multi and the first stage alone has caused quite a bit of consternation. The various stages move a persona all over town. It deserves 2 smilies for finding it IMO, but GC.com has no box for the CO to award this and that's something that could be considered for the futre, again IMO.
  • KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#14 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:06 AM

so why would one do a Multi instead of a series?  Just asking - I am new! I have only done a few multis and honestly they were cute (like JPEG's Hear It Is) but not really very far away from each other.  If I had to really find 4 things I would probably want 4 smilies.  But I am a brat. 

• Baytown Bert likes this

#15 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:12 AM

so why would one do a Multi instead of a series?  Just asking - I am new! I have only done a few multis and honestly they were cute (like JPEG's Hear It Is) but not really very far away from each other.  If I had to really find 4 things I would probably want 4 smilies.  But I am a brat. 

Then you probably won't want to do:

Four Cache Loop http://coord.info/GCD100

One Cache Loop (with Four Stops):  http://coord.info/GC17T70

or a 12 stager Special Tools Required:  http://coord.info/GC2MP88

Each of which are awesome caches regardless of how many smileys you get.  I've always understood multis to be more effort and recognize that.  Same argument could be said about puzzles.  It's extra work, why no extra smiley?  Well, just because.  :D  Because it's not all about the numbers.  Maybe a lot of it.  But not all of it.

Edited by cachestacker, 23 May 2013 - 07:12 AM.

• Baytown Bert, KeyResults and green-eyed like this
Posted Image

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

When I am on a cache run to do as many as I can in a day, I bypass multis. I save them for when I have more time and want to do something more challenging, which is like, well, never. LOL At least I'm honest - some of the time.
  • KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Well, I guess the argument of 'keeping it interesting' for multi's certainly makes sense. Especially here in Texas you don't want to do a 12 stage-15 mile-multi in 110 degree heat just to find a micro/nano at the end. But where I'm from multi's are actually counting for a large percentage of all caches out there (along with the dreaded mysteries....).

I really loved the Multi-Series over on the East side called Multi-Madness by HoustonControl, you still cover about 2-3 miles when you walk them all, but in the end you are rewarded with no less then 13 smileys.

I think multi's can make perfect sense for a sight-seeing trip through cities, and I once did a 15 stage bike-multi which was nice.

Anyways, the multi I've been considering would consist of 6 stages and a final, all of which would span no more than about 1-2 miles. All is within walking distance, but also very accessible by car. I am taking all of your comments into account and am currently trying to make all WP's as interesting as possible, which is by no means an easy feat due to some limitations on the physical locations of the WP's.

I'll keep you posted.

#18 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Some of the finest caches I've done have been Multi Caches. If you put it together to be interesting and/or fun, fav points will pull the customers in. Guaranteed. One thing I personally don't like is when a unmaintained uninteresting Multi takes up valuable prime space in a good park or other area. Multi's should justify the space they tie up IMHO.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#19 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:57 AM

Last night husband and I were reading the list of geocachers and their milestones before going to bed.  (it is great bedtime reading!) We saw that kirbydox et all had gone off and gotten a thousand caches in ONE day somewhere.  Maybe 2 days.  So now I am inspired to get my poor little numbers up so I can hang with the big girls!  306 and counting!  I know it isn't really about the numbers, but the adventure & fun.  That said, it looks like a fun adventure to get my numbers up!  We are planning our summer vacation where we can hit the most # of states and looking for power trails on the way.  100 a month has been challenging and has involved a lot of vacation time as well as a dirty & untidy house.  I am not sure how others can get more than that, have a job, or do anything else while caching. 

#20 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Kirbydox moved out of her $500,000 house and moved to the dump.

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users