#21 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

Oh.  My PQ's are all set to only bring in caches I don't own and haven't found.  And everything except mystery caches, which I keep in a separate database.  I didn't see a reason to take up PQ space redownloading and updating all the caches I've already found.  I keep a separate My Finds database for that.  I'll have to mull on that a bit.

Thanks for the insight.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#22 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

Well, for all you guys with a LOT more finds than we have logged, it may be too expensive from a payload perspective to include your FOUNDs all of the time. Especially if you log from GSAK as a rule. If you wish to keep those FOUND caches updated even after you've found em you can always filter em and click "Update Caches" which will capture both status and recent logs. I have found a few occasions when I need current data on My_Finds loaded so that I can cache with a group or my BFF that haven't logged them yet.

I see no benefit trying to keep multiple DBs updated. For example, isolating a current My_Finds filter is one-click activity in the latest version of GSAK. V8 has changed everything. When I need a separate DB I simply generate one on the fly with a couple clicks. It's much easier to maintain one DB, and performance is quite acceptable with a 25,000 row DB. And, that is on my "Sanford and Son" old laptop PC (not a 486, but close)

For you guys with lots of hides, again, it's no big deal to isolate them, and keep those logs fresh with a click, if you don't want to have a separate PQ for Owned by, or include Owned by Me in your scheduled geographic PQ's.

Whichever way you choose, a macro may reduce a few clicks, but so far, at my level and caching intensity (antithesis of Texas Writer), a macro doesn't do much for me in this regard.  My macros tend to be reporting, analysis, conversion, and presentation utilities. Not so much for automation right now.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#23 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

I love learning everyone's GSAK V8 workflow. I keep finding new discovery with the dialog. Sitting with Muddy Buddies at an event earlier this year I realized what a different animal this stuff becomes when you have logged more than 10K caches in an area! Where you sit is where you stand.

#24 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

The reason I keep mystery/puzzle caches in a separate database is I use the Corrected Coordinates feature to mark those that I have solved (and the listed coords for challenge caches), then filter on that.  Plus I can update that dB with one query set to go out 50 miles or so.  I stick the resulting GPX file in the GPSr's and pretty much forget about it until I get around to solving more puzzles -- or more interesting challenges get posted.  Hey, it works for me!

Also, I DO keep the results from found puzzles in that database because you never know when that might come in handy.

Edited by HoustonControl, 07 December 2013 - 10:44 AM.

• KeyResults likes this

#25 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

I keep 3 DB's. A "default" (the one I use regularly), A "founds" and a "Suspect". The suspect one is where I stash temp disabled or a high DNF rate caches and I update those via the GSAK update cache routine about every 2 weeks and move any that have been reactivated or started to get found again (CO did some maint, etc) back to my default DB

I could keep them all together and use a filter to list only the active caches but I prefer them out of sight and to keep the row count in my default DB as low as possible.

I run several macros against the default DB to strip out attributes and to populate in a custom field with text codes for the last 4 finds ( i.e. "F" for found, "D" for DNF, "O" for Owner maintenance, "C" for coord changes, etc) as I export those codes as a first log entry in my GPX file so I can quickly see the recent find history / date / hint before I ever start looking.

Example first log entry below:

L4: FFFF
LF: 11/19/2013
Hint: Don't get electrified

• KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#26 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

Well, for all you guys with a LOT more finds than we have logged, it may be too expensive from a payload perspective to include your FOUNDs all of the time. Especially if you log from GSAK as a rule. If you wish to keep those FOUND caches updated even after you've found em you can always filter em and click "Update Caches" which will capture both status and recent logs. I have found a few occasions when I need current data on My_Finds loaded so that I can cache with a group or my BFF that haven't logged them yet.

Yeah, I keep my found caches in my same main DB (found too many downsides to putting them in a separate DB), and I just filter them out before refreshing my main DB whether by distance from home location or by polgyon filter. Works great for me. I can tell you several times where a new challenge cache popped up and I wasn't sure if i qualified or not, but a very quick filtering in GSAK told me I did so I could dash out the door. Of all FTF's, challenge caches are my fav's for some reason...

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#27 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

I pretty much write everything on a piece of carboard and then run out the door.  YMMV

TXGA SETX Representative

#28 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:16 PM

The reason I keep mystery/puzzle caches in a separate database is I use the Corrected Coordinates feature to mark those that I have solved (and the listed coords for challenge caches), then filter on that.  Plus I can update that dB with one query set to go out 50 miles or so.  I stick the resulting GPX file in the GPSr's and pretty much forget about it until I get around to solving more puzzles -- or more interesting challenges get posted.  Hey, it works for me!

Also, I DO keep the results from found puzzles in that database because you never know when that might come in handy.

if you correct the coordinates on the GC.com cache page when you know the corrected coordinates, you can refresh the caches in GSAK (whether it includes your finds or not), and it won't affect your puzzles in GSAK, which allows you to keep them in the same main DB. (Unless I'm misunderstanding the main reason you keep puzzles in a separate DB.) I like to keep my puzzles with the rest of my caches, because if I have the corrected coordinates on one but haven't made the grab on it yet, I can grab it when I'm in the area (it isn't always a planned trip to that area....e.g. FTF run).

#29 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

I pretty much write everything on a piece of carboard and then run out the door.  YMMV

But you grab the machete on the way out, correct? :) Like American Express....don't leave home without it...

#30 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

if you correct the coordinates on the GC.com cache page when you know the corrected coordinates, you can refresh the caches in GSAK (whether it includes your finds or not), and it won't affect your puzzles in GSAK, which allows you to keep them in the same main DB. (Unless I'm misunderstanding the main reason you keep puzzles in a separate DB.) I like to keep my puzzles with the rest of my caches, because if I have the corrected coordinates on one but haven't made the grab on it yet, I can grab it when I'm in the area (it isn't always a planned trip to that area....e.g. FTF run).

I guess I started doing it before the GC.com page had the corrected coords update feature.  Still, I keep the puzzle GPX file in the GPSr, so, like you, I can still grab a puzzle cache if i'm in the area and wasn't really planning to be.

I guess my question is, if you keep all puzzle caches in your main database, how do you filter out the one's that you haven't solved --  that are just bogus coords?  If I used the corrected coordinates filter on my main DB, it would filter out everything.

#31 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

I guess I started doing it before the GC.com page had the corrected coords update feature.  Still, I keep the puzzle GPX file in the GPSr, so, like you, I can still grab a puzzle cache if i'm in the area and wasn't really planning to be.

I guess my question is, if you keep all puzzle caches in your main database, how do you filter out the one's that you haven't solved --  that are just bogus coords?  If I used the corrected coordinates filter on my main DB, it would filter out everything.

If you have them all in the same database, you simply:

• Filter to Not Found on the General tab.
  • Filter to only mystery caches on the Other tab.
  • Filter to Corrected Coordinates = Yes on the Other tab.

That will give you only the puzzles in your main DB that you have corrected coordinates for but haven't yet found. If you're trying to filter down to just the ones you haven't solved and corrected coordinates for, you check No on the Corrected Coordinates box instead.

• KeyResults likes this

#32 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

I see.  But then I'm still creating a separate GPX file for puzzles.  I'll just stick with my separate database.  Right now I have 17 different databases in GSAK anyway.

#33 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I keep mine all together. But my export script flags all corrected coords and then exports all unfounds. This gets imported into Geosphere. User Flagged caches from GSAK show up in GeoSphere as Highlighted caches. So then I know which ones are solved when in the field. I still get I solved puzzles exported also which is not what HC wants.

(Another tip: correct coordinates in GSAK for Challenges for which you qualify to the same coords. Then GSAK will flag those caches too even tho you didn't actually change the coords)

I know what HC is after and it points to a feature lacking in GSAK that I have wanted a few times which is to combine two (or more) filters into one set of results.

In this case perhaps you get the same results by creating a filter for non corrected coords on puzzles and then invert the results? Would have to play with that.
Posted Image

#34 GASTX

GASTX

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationHumble, Texas

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

I know what HC is after and it points to a feature lacking in GSAK that I have wanted a few times which is to combine two (or more) filters into one set of results.

One of the real strengths of GSAK is the macro language (admittedly not a new user kind of tool). What you cant do with built in functions (views, filters, etc) you can do with the macro language. My winter project is to get much better with the macro language.

The join function (Macro language) might be a starting point for what it sounds like you are talking about:

Join = Action to perform with the current filter. The default of "none" meaning the Filter command does not do any "joining" and behaves exactly the same as setting a new filter. Any other value will compare the current filter against this filter using the "join" type and produce a new subset/filter (which will then become the current filter and you can do another "join" and so forth). See notes at end for a full explanation of Join.

Edited by ClanStan, 07 December 2013 - 06:18 PM.

Posted Image

#35 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

(Another tip: correct coordinates in GSAK for Challenges for which you qualify to the same coords. Then GSAK will flag those caches too even tho you didn't actually change the coords)

I DO do that.  At least for one's I'm interested in signing the log on.  Probably not going to bother signing the log on the One Day Comma Club, for example...

I could see a GSAK 302 class on macro writing.

#36 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 07 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

I DO do that. At least for one's I'm interested in signing the log on.

That tip was for readers of this fine thread (all three!). I had no doubt you already do that.
  • KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#37 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

Combining filters = set user flags

I wear out my F7 /F8 keys :D
  • Baytown Bert likes this

#38 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm feeling a lot of love in this room.... :)

#39 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:09 AM

Try this for combining filters:  http://gsak.net/boar...pic=13235&st=0

I use it all the time, and the only problem is that it has some of the commands that will some day be no longer supported in GSAK,.so I guess I'll either have to find a new way to do things or learn the macro language to fix it.

#40 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,315 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:31 AM

So, do you guys actually have time to go caching after all this cavorting with the F-keys?  :uglystupid2:

• Dhaulaghiri likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users