21 replies to this topic

#1 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

So, for those of you working on all those cities for the Been Everywhere in Texas Challenge, do you have any spreadsheets or other materials that you would like to share?  I was thinking that the first column of information i would like for each city is what county it was in so I could sort that way and plan trips better.

Posted Image

#2 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:02 AM

Well, I have this:  http://www.geocachin...f6-d23f5246b643

I used a LARGE paper map with red dots on all the cities and towns I needed.  I X'ed them out as I crossed them off the list.  There are several New Hopes, New Deals, Rock Creeks, Round Lakes and Cottonwoods.

6ad255d1-4592-4c42-a9e9-14c14cd5c398.jpg

Edited by HoustonControl, 20 May 2013 - 07:03 AM.

• heftydude likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#3 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

How does one found out about challenges?  I saw someone post here about a challenge that was for milestones, so I started planning for that one on my milestone #s.  I am coming up on 300 this week and plan to make it a multi cache because I already have a traditional, virtual and earth on other milestones.  But how the heck does one know about challenges?  Since I have not been everywhere in TX I can take that off my list -- but what other challenges are out there?  (besides the challenge of getting PR to pop my caches?) 

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

This will get you started.

http://www.geocachin...12-ca51819e2ef6

Posted Image

#5 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:58 PM

How does one found out about challenges?  I saw someone post here about a challenge that was for milestones, so I started planning for that one on my milestone #s.  I am coming up on 300 this week and plan to make it a multi cache because I already have a traditional, virtual and earth on other milestones.  But how the heck does one know about challenges?  Since I have not been everywhere in TX I can take that off my list -- but what other challenges are out there?  (besides the challenge of getting PR to pop my caches?) 

I wouldn't take it off your list.  I would put it on my list and know that I have a goal that when I am going places I want to watch to make sure to find caches is these towns when I am there.  Just like the Texas County Challenge, I now am making it a point that when I am driving somewhere that I choose a route that will now help me to pick up a few more counties. 

I have found out about a lot of challenges from either the link that Cachestacker just posted or word of mouth.  Another way is to look at another cacher profile in the area to see what caches they have listed either as their finds or their hides.  Don't look at mine as most I still have a ton on my "to do" list and either have recently accomplished them so I need to log them or I need to sit down and figure out what else I need to do to accomplish other challenges.  

So many of the challenges are ones that have helped me to choose where I am going to cache and possibly what types of caches we might go after in a day.  I have just added this one to my list.  I usually have a list on a spreadsheet but also a map I can carry with me to figure out where I need to go during a trip to pick up different counties and now cities/towns.

Sorry about the highjack of your thread!

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

This will get you started.

http://www.geocachin...12-ca51819e2ef6

This looks like a long dirty road to obsession to me...  :angel:

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

There are a bunch of challenge caches down in Galveston.  Make a trip down there, sign all the logs, then start putting together a plan to fulfill the requirements.  Some are fairly easy to do, others... not so much.

Edited by HoustonControl, 20 May 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:28 AM

Things may change with me, but for the most part, I ignore the challenge caches almost 100%. I'm such a dunce.

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

I think I'll place a challenge cache that can only be logged by people with "Baytown" or "Bert" in their caching name.  Hide it out on Guadalupe Peak somewhere...

• Baytown Bert likes this

#10 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:05 AM

For the record this thread's topic is misleading. I was hoping to finally connect with someone else who's been everywhere too. Dang.

Edited by KeyResults, 21 May 2013 - 09:05 AM.

• Baytown Bert and green-eyed like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#11 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

So, I am starting my spreadsheet and I sort the cities by alpha.  I'm already having troubles with the first one - where is Alameda?  Google can't find no alameda, TX.  bing puts me in San Antonio, but they all want to point me to things that have alameda in the title.  So, did Alameda, TX  get archived?

So I check HC's master list and sure enough, he chose a cemetery for that city.  So, I guess that city is dead?

Man, only 89 more cities to research....I hope the rest of them are easier to even find the city of which it speaks.

Posted Image

#12 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

There are some comments in the early posts to that cache about some of the "cities". I used Google Maps, Bing Maps, and the Handbook of Texas (online) to find the places.  Here's what the latter says about Alameda.

My log for the Coffee First cache I used for Alameda contains plenty of photo evidence to verity that there was a community there by that name at one time.

Also, there is no Angelina, TX, but the cache owner says you can use anything in Angelina County for that requirement.  Most of the rest of them are pretty straightforward.

Edited by HoustonControl, 25 May 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#13 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:21 AM

Do you get a souvineer for doing these? I was just looking at http://coord.info/GC3P96X and I have to get this one as my next milestone to complete the challenge. And then what?

#14 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,808 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well, I have this:  http://www.geocachin...f6-d23f5246b643

I used a LARGE paper map with red dots on all the cities and towns I needed.  I X'ed them out as I crossed them off the list.  There are several New Hopes, New Deals, Rock Creeks, Round Lakes and Cottonwoods.

6ad255d1-4592-4c42-a9e9-14c14cd5c398.jpg

That's is really old school but the visual effect cannot be matched.

Posted Image

#15 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

There are some comments in the early posts to that cache about some of the "cities". I used Google Maps, Bing Maps, and the Handbook of Texas (online) to find the places.  Here's what the latter says about Alameda.

My log for the Coffee First cache I used for Alameda contains plenty of photo evidence to verity that there was a community there by that name at one time.

Also, there is no Angelina, TX, but the cache owner says you can use anything in Angelina County for that requirement.  Most of the rest of them are pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the tips.  I was in no way disputing your find for Alameda, just pointing out the difficulty of the exercise.  

That and the fact that the way I did it by sorting alphabetically means I would have hit Angelina next.  Good thing I put it all away or I would have given up on the whole thing after DNF'ing two cities in a row. :tickedoff:

Posted Image

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

I understood where you were coming from.  I tried to make sure on some of the more obscure "towns" that I got a picture of a city limits sign, community building, church or historical marker with the name on it -- just to be safe.  Turns out the CO isn't all that critical about things anyway.

#17 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

For those that want, I'm sharing these resources that I've created in my prep work for hitting these cities.

In lieu of Hc's giant map, i present to you this KMZ file with all the cities (just open it up in Google Earth and you should now have place marks for all the cities.)

And, here is my spreadsheet for mapping my progress (I got a long way to go...).  The caches I link to in there are just quick ways to get to GC with an option for that city.  If I had a find there, then that is the cache listed.  I plan to update the cache links with actual finds as they occur.

Please send feedback or comments.  If you disagree with certain cities, please post and let's review.  I know there can be multiples of some, but if I couldn't find a cache around them, then I leaned towards excluding that option.  I gave heavy credence towards HC's cache finds.  I will endeavor to keep that KMZ file in my public dropbox updated if anyone cares to send me corrections/additions/deletions.

• georeyna and KeyResults like this
Posted Image

#18 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

Nice check off list.  Thanks HD. 

Posted Image

#19 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:09 PM

Thank you for the list HD!!  I am about 3/4's of the way completed.  I just got Beeville, this weekend.  I still have to travel further South to get a few cities and further west, to get Van Horn, for the rest of my *been everywhere* cities.  Appreciate all the hardwork and research!!

#20 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

... I gave heavy credence towards HC's cache finds.

One or two of my finds are well outside of the city limits of the required town. Way to Bovay, for Navasota, comes to mind. The reason is, it was the closest cache to Navasota when I marked that town off the list -- there were none in Navasota itself in June of 2007.  There are bunches now!

Edited by HoustonControl, 28 June 2013 - 03:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users