• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

I am now the proud owner of a Old Town Vapor 10 Kayak( package deal) It should be here next week sometime.

Cant wait to take it caching :coolsmiley:

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

Congrats!  Kayak caching is fun!  Mark 12/14 down for a night paddle event.  :D

Posted Image

#3 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Congrats! Cachestacker's nighttime paddle events are the best. (This years lights will be the best ever! :D The ISS will see us all for sure.) If you're new to new styles of yaks/canoes, be sure to practice re-entry so you know how to get back on or inside when you flip your new boat! Seriously. It always seems to happen when you least expect it. Invest in a great flotation vest!
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#4 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Hooray!

TXGA SETX Representative

#5 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,781 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Make sufe you have a life jacket.

Posted Image

#6 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

The package deal I mentioned includes a PFD, a paddle, a bungee tether and a cover for the storage space.

#7 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Buy a dry bag to keep your valuables in and a float to attach to your GPSr unit.

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#8 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Anybody with experience with inflatable kayaks?  That's what I've been eyeing.  Feedback would be helpful.

Posted Image

#9 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

I bought Tealcat an inflatable kayak from National Geographic (sadly they don't have it anymore) and she likes it.  We took it to the WWFM in the Woodlands and then went out and did Beyond Here There are Dragons.  A couple of others went and did it too, so if they are on the site, they might comment as well.

#10 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

Anybody with experience with inflatable kayaks?  That's what I've been eyeing.  Feedback would be helpful.

Me too.  I'd love to have a yak, but don't have the storage space to get it approved by the management.

Direct Buy carries inflatables, but since the CLAPS is a my target use case I really really don't want to be gator bait.

Posted Image

#11 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

We had a guy from Laredo bring his inflatable kayak on the CLAPS series.  It seemed like it was more effort to use (not as aero/hydro-dynamic) but he kept up with us fine and I was surprised, seeing one up close, how durable they were.

The ones I'm interested in I just recently saw was more of a rigid frame collapseable yak.  Had never heard nor seen of such a thing before.  But it folded up very nicely.  And no pump or huffing and puffing.

Posted Image

#12 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

Me too.  I'd love to have a yak, but don't have the storage space to get it approved by the management.

Direct Buy carries inflatables, but since the CLAPS is a my target use case I really really don't want to be gator bait.

Can you post a link to the one you are looking at?

These are they ones I was thinking of:

http://www.ravesport...yaks/02383.html

http://www.ravesport...ayak-02365.html

Posted Image

#13 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:26 AM

We had a guy from Laredo bring his inflatable kayak on the CLAPS series.  It seemed like it was more effort to use (not as aero/hydro-dynamic) but he kept up with us fine and I was surprised, seeing one up close, how durable they were.

The ones I'm interested in I just recently saw was more of a rigid frame collapseable yak.  Had never heard nor seen of such a thing before.  But it folded up very nicely.  And no pump or huffing and puffing.

Can you post a link of this?

Posted Image

#14 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:27 AM

Can you post a link to the one you are looking at?

These are they ones I was thinking of:

http://www.ravesport...yaks/02383.html

http://www.ravesport...ayak-02365.html

That one girl looks like she could just fall out of that Sea Rebel thing.  Looks like only her butt is down low.  I don't trust that one.

Posted Image

#15 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

A while back we used Davarle's inflatable boat (not a kayak) to go after the Woodland dragon and it took forever to inflate.  We also used it for an island cache in Katy and Cookcachers was across to the island and could have been back by the time we had the boat inflated.  I don't think I'd want to trust anything inflatable for as many miles as we go on the CLAPS series.  (Not to mention having less protection between you and the alligator.)

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#16 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

My new "toy" finally arrived[:)] Will post pics when I figure out how! May just go play in it today.

#17 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

If you play in the right area there may be some FTF opportunities available.  ;)

Posted Image

#18 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Lets see...2 FTF's on the excellent CLAPS series, almost 1500 spent on new kayak and assorted gear I just couldnt live without, mud and water in places on my body where Im sure they dont belong, sore arms from paddling and how do I feel? PRICELESS!!![:)] Thanks for the headsup cachestacker!

• Baytown Bert likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users