#21 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:49 AM

I think the snakes in the tree Kirbydox photographed are Speckled king snakes, like the one I encountered.

http://www.texassnak...et/Speckled.htm

They will stand their ground in my experience and look quite dangerous, but they are not venomous.  Arron Barbee stepped on one while we were doing  this adventure:

Edited by Baytown Bert, 14 May 2013 - 04:50 AM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#22 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:46 AM

I think Bert was right, after seeing his picture of the yellow belly I think that is what we saw. As I said, I would have liked to take better pictures, but A. My wife wouldn't let me get ANY closer or she'd start hitting me with her paddle until we were moving away from the snake and B. I only have a small compact camera, so I unfortunately don't have a lot of zoom capability.

Thanks for the info though.
  • georeyna likes this

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#23 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

I think the snakes in the tree Kirbydox photographed are Speckled king snakes, like the one I encountered.

http://www.texassnak...et/Speckled.htm

They will stand their ground in my experience and look quite dangerous, but they are not venomous.  Arron Barbee stepped on one while we were doing  this adventure:

Dunno, Bert.  I've run across several Speckled King Snakes and the one in the tree KX photographed wasn't speckled.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#24 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

I'll yield to the venerable opinions on the ID. However, for the record, the commonly seen line on face behind the eye mentioned is NOT present on all Cotton Mouth. Variations abound! Surf images searched to see for yourself but be wary of mislabeled. It is a very good idea to study venomous snake pictures, lots and lots of them, for variations and coloration. Consider this requisite "homework" to recognize each type of venomous snake well. In the event, you, your child or pet is bitten in your presence, it makes the emergency room visit much more effective and limits complications.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#25 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'll yield to the venerable opinions on the ID. However, for the record, the commonly seen line on face behind the eye mentioned is NOT present on all Cotton Mouth. Variations abound! Surf images searched to see for yourself but be wary of mislabeled.

It is a very good idea to study venomous snake pictures, lots and lots of them, for variations and coloration.
Consider this requisite "homework" to recognize each type of venomous snake well. In the event, you, your child or pet is bitten in your presence, it makes the emergency room visit much more effective and limits complications.

Totally agree, better safe then sorry!
But the best 'rule' is of course to leave them in peace as much as geocachingly possible ;)

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#26 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

....  Arron Barbee stepped on one while we were doing  this adventure:

Uh, I expected a little Molly Hatchet music for the closing credits on that one!

Edited by HoustonControl, 14 May 2013 - 09:20 AM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#27 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

What I love about this topic is the many *experts* we have been blessed with in identifying snakes!! LOL!!   Trea and I were caching in Sugarland when I saw a coral(?) snake cross my path.  Since I did not know the name of the snake, because of sheer fright, I started quoting it to Trea in a fright...Red Touch Yellow, Kill a fellow...lets just say the Red was touching yellow.  We both watched the snake cross the path, then went for the cache, but could not concentrate on finding the cache since we knew the snake was around us.  Needless to say, we never found the cache. I was so scared, I forgot the rest of the saying and still can't remember it!!

#28 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

The nice lady at the wetlands center had a simple solution for you to determine if it is a king snake or coral snake in the STX area.  She said "We don't have those kinds king snakes here."  Thought that was pretty easy to remember.  :2funny:

Posted Image

#29 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

"Red touching yellow killed a fellow.  Red touching black, venom lack" (or "friend of Jack").

According to HerpsofTexas.org, the Scarlet Kingsnake, Lampropeltis triangulum (a type of milksnake) is found across Texas.  I know I've seen one before, but it's been a few years.  I saw one coral snake while caching, but he zipped across the trail before I could take a picture.

http://www.herpsofte...ntent/milksnake

#30 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

I was out placing containers for the BRAWNDO series in Baytown and it was so steamy and humid, my glasses were fogging up.  My brain registered a snake in front of me and I stopped.  It was a mature cottonmouth and was simply holding it's ground.  The vegetation was very thick and I pulled my camera out and took a photo. I wanted to video it and I had not a dry place on me to wipe my glasses, so I stepped back and tried in vain to dry my glasses so I could set the camera to video mode and was successful, I think, then I couldn't find the dang snake!  I back-tracked about 50 feet and moved on.

http://1.bp.blogspot...ake-7-28-10.jpg

Edited by Baytown Bert, 14 May 2013 - 05:31 PM.

TXGA SETX Representative

#31 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yikes! That's a pretty big snake! Wouldn't wanna run across one of those.

#32 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

One of two coral snakes I've encountered while caching.  This one was many years ago while looking for the Fallen Timber cache.  I never knew coral snakes grew this large as I had only seen the tiny zoo specimens.  This one was well over two feet, probably close to three, and about one inch in diameter.  I also spotted a smaller one in Lake Houston State Park (before it became a city park).  If I have to encounter any venomous reptiles, this one would be the one I'd pick.  Non aggressive, easy to see, and it's difficult for them to envenomate due to their lack of fangs unless you are actually handling the snake.

c252e37d-085c-4685-9499-ebf05de93f5e.jpg

• georeyna likes this

#33 Benttandem

Benttandem

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:59 PM

In the 1960's on a National Guard outing in Sam Houston Nat'l Forest we came across a coral snake.  The biggest guy in the unit spent the rest of the nite standing in the middle of a spread out tarp.  I have a general rule about IDing snakes.  If it doesn't rattle and its dark it is a cotton mouth.  If it has brightly colored rings it is a coral snake and if it has a muted brown, orangish, redish leafy patteren it is a copperhead.  That pretty well covers it.  Anything else, well you never know, it might be an exotic. 

#34 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

My internet has been down or I would have posted this one earlier. I spotted this little cottonmouth riding the current in the ditch along the north GBP trail 10' away. It's a good picture of the black stripe Stan was talking about.

e07c5792-7645-4f40-8037-ee0272e2d38d.jpg

#35 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Let's not forget the spiders for those who are arachnophobic. This beauty was in the dead tree on CLAPS: Birds of Armand Bayou puzzle final when we went to retrieve the container on Saturday. That's the tip of the paddle in the lower left of the picture. I love my new camera!

48a58247-1059-4f0b-8505-fd2b1c461f24.jpg

#36 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:53 PM

Let's not forget the spiders for those who are arachnophobic. This beauty was in the dead tree on CLAPS: Birds of Armand Bayou puzzle final when we went to retrieve the container on Saturday. That's the tip of the paddle in the lower left of the picture. I love my new camera!

48a58247-1059-4f0b-8505-fd2b1c461f24.jpg

Now you're just trying to freak out cachestacker.

#37 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:12 AM

Dude.  That's my paddle.  It was not a cool situation.  Another instance of where I wanted a pic (had to get it out of the crack) but if it ended in the boat I would have been in the water.  I'd have been in the water before Kirbydox knew what hit her.  I think it was waiting for the next puzzle solver to eat.

• Team Four Paw and Baytown Bert like this
Posted Image

#38 Ecto1

Ecto1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

Ran into this sucker in The Woodlands just about 6 inches above a cache.  The scary thing is i did not notice him/her until i placed the cache back in its original location.

F7398FBA-8862-4DCE-A5EE-A2EE91474E37-193

#39 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

yuck yuck yuck!!!!  i've run into snakes and spiders and like to turn as blind an eye as possible.  first outing in the woods at martin dies had a 2 ft snake about 6 inches from my foot and the 10 yr old noticed it.  i don't mind the smaller spiders if they leave me alone because i'll certainly leave them alone first.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#40 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

Here's one we came across in GBP a few years ago.  gsgugu almost stepped on him... twice!

9ef5f65c-86cb-49f5-837a-c5eedb292e5a.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users