#1 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

Since we are in for a wet year, I figure there will be more snake sightings and I want to share one I experienced a couple of years ago on Goose Creek not far from this present cache: GC249X2 BB's Under 10 Tons Cache.

I thought I would hide one out on a big tree that leaned way out over the creek and I carefully made my way up the tree out over the water until I was a good fifteen feet up and noted a very good hidey hole where a limb had broken and rotted off on the far side of two limbs.

The tree was still about twelve inches in diameter and it was very hot and humid, making the climb precarious. I leaned my head over the crotch to see if the hole was big enough for a large pill container and curled up in there was a large snake (turns out it was a harmless speckled king snake upon later reflection) and I turned and ran down that tree like I had a prehensile tail and hit the ground running and whimpering a little bit.

TXGA SETX Representative

#2 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

You did better than me.  I probably would have fallen off the tree as I tried to get down. 

• georeyna likes this

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

CLAPS CITO -- approaching the last two CLAPS III caches north of Spring Gulley.  Kirbydox's eagle eye spied this scary scenario.  I saw two go in.  God knowls how many were there.

ecdd2942-68c0-4b21-8f47-25e1c0d98843.jpg

Posted Image

#4 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

oh good gravy.  see... more reason I shouldn't go out on the kayak...

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#5 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Haven't seen any out here in the Houston area yet, but when we were Kayaking in Caddo Lake state park I spotted this one laying around....

Freaked my wife out... I was only allowed to paddle backwards to take a picture of it so she could stay as far away as possible, couldn't convince her snakes aren't able to jump out of the water into a kayak......

Edited by Dhaulaghiri, 13 May 2013 - 06:35 PM.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

I don't have a skydrive account...

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

I don't have a skydrive account...

Me either...

#8 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

I though that might pose problems....

OK. fixed it.

http://img.geocachin...13188634026.jpg

Y'all should have an account on this one  :laugh:

Anybody have a clue as to what species this is?

Edited by Dhaulaghiri, 13 May 2013 - 06:42 PM.

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Yellow bellied water snake?  Where's HoustonHerp?

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,838 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

convince her snakes aren't able to jump out of the water into a kayak......

Funny. At a paddle event we stopped near a land cache people like to climb out to get and while waiting for the group to get there I saw one jump out of the tree into the water.

Naysayers say they can't jump and it "fell" but if it wasn't for a fast tilt in the yak it would have been IN my yak and I would have been in the water. (I'm sure it was "harmless" but wasn't about to stick around to find out.)
Posted Image

#11 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

convince her snakes aren't able to jump out of the water into a kayak......

Funny. At a paddle event we stopped near a land cache people like to climb out to get and while waiting for the group to get there I saw one jump out of the tree into the water.

Naysayers say they can't jump and it "fell" but if it wasn't for a fast tilt in the yak it would have been IN my yak and I would have been in the water. (I'm sure it was "harmless" but wasn't about to stick around to find out.)

OK, but that was jumping from a tree into the water. As you can see in the picture this one was IN the water on a lily-pad...

But then again, I wasn't gonna take any chances either, 'cause I didn't know what type of snake it was.... stayed a good 6-9 feet away.

#12 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:09 PM

I certainly could see this image, but I have no idea of what kind of snake it is.

#13 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,599 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Mrs. Muddy Buddy loves snakes. :stirpot:

Posted Image

#14 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

At first I thought Bert was correct, but upon further examination blown up on a decent screen, the triangular head and cat-eye kinda points to a yearling adult Cottonmouth, aka Water Moccasin. The coloration is consistent with the yellow showing in near water environment and young adult.

Funny, whenever I see these particular snakes they're usually pissed at me for some reason, giving me the what-for and showing me their fangs. When they are in the water and stretched out they tend to be vulnerable. I watched a 8-9lb large mouth bass go after one about this size while I was fishing in a small pond on a float tube on a lazy Sunday afternoon several years ago. It was a heckuva battle for about 3-4 mins with water splashing everywhere and me retreating rapidly. The Bass took the prize once things settled down. It was quite a sight to witness.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#15 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

At first I thought Bert was correct, but upon further examination blown up on a decent screen, the triangular head and cat-eye kinda points to a yearling adult Cottonmouth, aka Water Moccasin. The coloration is consistent with the yellow showing in near water environment and young adult.

Funny, whenever I see these particular snakes they're usually pissed at me for some reason, giving me the what-for and showing me their fangs. When they are in the water and stretched out they tend to be vulnerable. I watched a 8-9lb large mouth bass go after one about this size while I was fishing in a small pond on a float tube on a lazy Sunday afternoon several years ago. It was a heckuva battle for about 3-4 mins with water splashing everywhere and me retreating rapidly. The Bass took the prize once things settled down. It was quite a sight to witness.

Not a cottonmouth.  A cottonmouth has a distinctive black stripe from the eyes back to the neck, on both sides of the head.  

I've seen enough of them to recognize them from far away.  (usually a step or two behind Fendmar, as he almost steps on the snake)

I think Bert's guess was pretty good.

Edited by Mr Muddy Buddy, 13 May 2013 - 09:39 PM.

Posted Image

#16 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Why,,, why!!!  Why did I click on that picture twice...  plus seeing the other one in the tree!  After reading the posts I foolishly looked at the picture again and zoomed in and then had a hard time trying to minimize the screen as it would be too close to the nasty thing.  I can't imagine being in the water near it and don't think you could convince me that it couldn't jump out of the water into a boat....  nasty

• Baytown Bert likes this

#17 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Perhaps. A better head view would really help. Remember, this is Caddo Lake, not GBP.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#18 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

The Bass took the prize once things settled down. It was quite a sight to witness.

Wow.   Just wow.

Posted Image

#19 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

Here is a juvi cottonmouth I found in my backyard with the distinctive stripe on its head:

http://www.flickr.co...ert/4035200931/

No direct photo so folks aren't scared (but they will still look!)

TXGA SETX Representative

#20 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:47 AM

Here is a photo of a yellow bellied water snake.  They are often mistaken for a cottonmouth rattle cobra.

http://www.texassnak...llowBellied.htm

Here are two breeding in my flowerbed.  I did not kill them and note the many variations of these snakes, but all have a distinctive yellow bottom the cottonmouth lacks.  Some have broad viper-looking heads too, some don't.  I'm no herpetologist though, just interpolating a bit.

http://www.ourbaytow...n2/target6.html

TXGA SETX Representative

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users