Photo

Preferred caches for leaving Trackables?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Long story short, I picked up my first trackable last month from a cache at Sheldon Lake State Park and I think it's traveled with me for more than long enough and it's time for it to move onto a new cacher to continue it's adventures elsewhere. My original plan was to release it when I head out to Garner State Park later this month but with all the talk I hear about trackables going missing from frequently visited caches, I've started to question the original plan and I'm just curious to know if there are any particular caches/tb hotels that you all prefer? Most people I've spoken to seem to prefer swapping TBs at events, though I honestly think doing such things take trackables out of circulation from newer cachers such as myself and while I'd really prefer to leave it in a cache, I honestly want to give this trackable the best outcome possible to continue it's travels upon leaving my hand.

So I guess the main question is this, are there any remaining caches that are safe for trackables still or is it just wise to swap it at the next event I attend?

img.aspx?txt=I'm+not+lost!+I'm+Geocachin

#2 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

I don't like swapping trackables at events.  I like finding them in caches.  I prefer finding them in caches that aren't called TB hotels.  In my experiences most TB hotels have some of the worst records for TBs disappearing.

I think it is probably best to use premium caches.

#3 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

I've also been hearing stories about TB's disappearing around here, but I can honestly say it happens everywhere. Some of my coins have gone missing after only two or three 'movements'  :tickedoff:

But to answer your question: YES there are still lots of 'safe' caches out there to leave TB's or COINS. Specifically some TB/Coin Hotels are a good place to drop them. A great example, not likely to be muggled is GC3RDT9 Westpark Travel Bug Hotel in Houston. It's been placed in a secure location with permission of the owner, the CO is often very close and it's protected by a lock.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#4 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

I'll leave a trackable in most any cache that seems to be watertight and not likely to be muggled (well hidden). It's always a balancing act. Put a trackable in that tough, premium-only, puzzle cache with class 4 terrain and it's likely to sit there for a year. Drop it off in an easy, often-visited-and-not-always-by-geocachers cache (like the TXGCC State Park caches) and the item may never be seen again. Just do your best and try not to worry about it. Basically, all trackables disappear eventually.

I second the motion about the dislike for only trading trackables at events. It's frustrating sometimes when you go to an event and someone shows up with 100 trackables, but won't turn loose of any unless you give them one in return. Dude, they're not yours to begin with!
  • KeyResults, TexasWriter and Kyrenx like this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#5 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

I usually use event to move trackables but I rarely pick one up at an event.

Posted Image

#6 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:08 AM

I'm with HoustonControl on moving them to an available cache. I often place them in one of my own caches that I know its history too. If it languishes, I retrieve it and put it back in play somewhere else. I have a regular size cache close to my house that is difficult to find: GC25TKG ▼ BB's Bobcat Barkaloo Cache I won't leave a TB in it for that reason - it won't go anywhere for maybe a long time.

I had a TB carried all the way to Africa and put in a remote location that was hardly ever visited and elephants squashed and scattered the container for gawd's sake! LOL

The bottom line is don't take TB's too seriously and DISCOVER them without the responsibility of moving them along. I have one right now that is like a hot potato to me until I move it and I will very soon. I don't keep them long, but once I drop them, I pretty much let nature take its course.

As far as TB's at events go, if I know I am going to attend and I have a few, I'll trade them for new ones and drop them off fast. Often someone will let you know ahead of time they are traveling and you can boost the miles on a TB with them.

TXGA SETX Representative

#7 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

I mostly agree w HCs post. But, when I know I have a special trackable- not that all TBs aren't special, but I think you know what I mean- OR when there's a specific destination mission, events are better for dropping IMO. I like knowing for sure that I did my level best to take care of em while in my care. Events are awesome for discoveries!!!
  • Baytown Bert likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#8 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

I guess I'll just stick to my original plan and just evaluate the caches as possible homes as I find them. Many thanks for all the replies.

#9 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Well, I'll counter the event argument for specific trackables.  Those trackables that have a goal/agenda are great to move at events.  Finding someone headed in this direction or that to help a trackable along to it's desired goal is great.  I've taken trackables to events that have set destinations to see if anyone's heading that way.  I've also received trackables at events to help move them towards there goals.

That said, I'd agree for the average trackable without a destination or goal requiring it to travel somewhere specific, I prefer dropping those into caches that are less muggle friend, but also get visited more than once a year.

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

Events are great for the reasons TAZ specified.  I take, let people discover, and trade with folks who can help it make its goal or who will move it on quickly.  There are people though who old on to them forever, so it seems. 

TBs I have that don't get traded and new ones I get from events get quickly moved to one of the STS caches.  The series gets visited frequently, often by out-of-towners, so it will move quickly.  It's easy to get to, but not likely to be seen by muggels.  I'm sure you have a series near you that gets visited frequently that has a muggle-unfirendly cache that would be perfect to put it in.

Personally, I like getting a TB out of a normal cache more than a TB hotel and more than an event.  But I'm happy to move them to or from either place as events are where you find people on the go.  The TB may have no objectives, but if it can move out of state or to someplace cool, let it go.  Nobody going anywhere, drop it in a cache somewhere.

Posted Image

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,863 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

Just to be clear, I'm not against trading/handing off/discovering trackables at events.  I do it all the time.  It just seems that some trackables never seem to reach escape velocity from the event circuit and they stay stuck in the same area for months and months.  When I do drop TB's in events, I try to hand them to someone and make a mental note of who it was, so I can help make sure the item doesn't stay stuck in the event.

The only problem with travel bug hotels is that, if they get muggled, bunches of trackables go missing at once.  Caching with cachestacker, Kirbydox and Rich & Lola recently, we came across a regular sized, easy-to-find cache, that was chock full of TB's and geocoins.  We took so many out that we felt a little guilty.... but the cache was stolen about a week later and we were glad we had "saved" all those trackables.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#12 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

I guess I'll just stick to my original plan and just evaluate the caches as possible homes as I find them. Many thanks for all the replies.

one just published near us tonight...  http://coord.info/GC49R4Z  it's a TB mo-tell, but it was stuffed full of TBs of various sorts.  ammo can and premium, so it shouldn't be muggled too quickly I would hope.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#13 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:31 PM

one just published near us tonight...  http://coord.info/GC49R4Z  it's a TB mo-tell, but it was stuffed full of TBs of various sorts.  ammo can and premium, so it shouldn't be muggled too quickly I would hope.

Shiny. I'll need to check that out one of these days. Thanks for the suggestion!

#14 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

of course... it's probably easier to find in the day light than at 9pm with a 10 yr old and a flashlight.  :D

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users