67 replies to this topic

#21 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

I have to agree -- the Presidential Series is a good place for kids.  At least the NW section we did (only part I've done so far.)  I took my daughter there not too long ago.  Wide, open 'trails' and little bushwhacking led to a very happy kid cacher.  The big and creative hides were a huge hit.  We didn't push it (rather, I didn't push her), as we did others in the area we did and still wanted to do and had a nice lunch planned afterward.  But we did 20something in the forest on a beautiful day and it was a really great time.  Kids will love the creative and larger containers and the nature hit without being *in* the nature, or something like that is how my daughter says it.

Here's one in the series near the parking:  http://coord.info/GC3W2M9

Posted Image

#22 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

anyone done sylvan rodriquez park?  i know there's the labrynth virtual cache and a bunch in the park that looked like they would be kid friendly (aka not waaay off trails like BCP or GBP)

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#23 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

anyone done sylvan rodriquez park?  i know there's the labrynth virtual cache and a bunch in the park that looked like they would be kid friendly (aka not waaay off trails like BCP or GBP)

Yes.  Several puzzles in there, too.  Let it dry out a bit to be more kid friendly.  I'm sure there is standing water off the paved parts. 

You may want to save that close-by virtual, tough, for when you try to get a busy day done (X number of different types in a day).

Posted Image

#24 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

sylvan rodriquez park:  Not a particularly pretty park IMO.

TXGA SETX Representative

#25 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

sylvan rodriquez park:  Not a particularly pretty park IMO.

There's plans for it.  It'll be nice ... sometime.   http://www.houstontx...eMasterPlan.pdf

Posted Image

#26 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

Yes.  Several puzzles in there, too.  Let it dry out a bit to be more kid friendly.  I'm sure there is standing water off the paved parts. 

You may want to save that close-by virtual, tough, for when you try to get a busy day done (X number of different types in a day).

letterboxes seem to be in short supply in our area... unless i'm in a kayak... i'd really have to plan out my entire day for a busy day done and my 10 yr old sidekick would really have to be in the mood for it too.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#27 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

letterboxes seem to be in short supply in our area... unless i'm in a kayak... i'd really have to plan out my entire day for a busy day done and my 10 yr old sidekick would really have to be in the mood for it too.

Lots of letterboxes up on the NW side, and when you get twenty of them there is a letterbox challenge cache you can log

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#28 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Well I am happy to create an event and see what happens.  I am leaning towards Bear Creek?  or Jones State Forest since the presidents series sounds fun.  You guys had good things to say about both.  Does either one have a better meet up point for a picnic?

#29 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

It's been quite a few years since we hosted an event at Bear Creek Park, but when we did we were able to reserve a pavilion and just put down a refundable deposit which we got back after the park's people inspected to make sure we hadn't trashed the place.  Bear Creek Park can flood or at least be squishy after a rain, and in fact when we threw our event it ended up being a bit mushy trying to do the night cache that we'd set up.  Bear Creek Park does have lots of parking for a large group for an event.  Log Dawgs can give you more information about Jones State Forest. 

Posted Image

#30 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

For Bear Creek park, here is an event that was held for the CITO, the coords to this location where at one of the pavilions. 

http://www.geocachin...99-a7572633b841

It is a nice area with caches around it including a series nearby. 

For the ones near the Presidential Series - check out Log Dawgs hides - here is his cache for the CITO

http://www.geocachin...d5-bc0cef637b83

I believe there is a park area near by but Log Dawgs could give you much better information than I can...

We will be watching for your event.

#31 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Bubberdad's Pundt Park and Little Herman Park Cache Critters Series has great caches for the kiddos.  Infact Little Herman Park would be ideal, a great area to walk the kids around this a place to rest.  Just enough to walk them around without them getting too fussy.

• TexasWriter likes this

#32 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have to agree with georeyna, Little Herman park on the north side is a great park. Plenty of caches, of all varieties and a good place for the kids too.

I found a couple up there and have done a stretch of the Bike-trail from either north and south sides. All that region is worth the drive, but if you want to stay closer to home there's always Memorial Park.

I would not necessarily recommend BCP or GBP for a kid-friendly event... over all the BushWhacking can get pretty serious there and as stated by others it can get flooded in certain areas.

If you want we can meet up some day to drive over to either site, I've still got plenty of caches to be found in all those areas!  

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

#33 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:13 PM

Bubberdad's Pundt Park and Little Herman Park Cache Critters Series has great caches for the kiddos.  Infact Little Herman Park would be ideal, a great area to walk the kids around this a place to rest.  Just enough to walk them around without them getting too fussy.

Is this park called Herman Little Park in Spring?  When I google Little Herman I find Herman Little. 

#34 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,373 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

The CITO that chefkimmo mentions was actually based from Cullen Park rather than Bear Creek Park.  The caches there are not kid friendly.  Most are in too overgrown of areas to be taking small kids to and there's not much room to be placing new caches that kids would enjoy unless you are doing temporary caches (ie. no smileys). 

Posted Image

#35 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

The CITO that chefkimmo mentions was actually based from Cullen Park rather than Bear Creek Park.  The caches there are not kid friendly.  Most are in too overgrown of areas to be taking small kids to and there's not much room to be placing new caches that kids would enjoy unless you are doing temporary caches (ie. no smileys). 

Very true, I was only thinking of the one that I found and it was right on the edge of a very easy walk.  I guess thinking of the others mentioned would be much better for kids. 

#36 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:07 AM

Host it and they will come. Just please don't tell me you're lining it up so the little buggers will do the Texas series. Not the best way to introduce them to caching. :2funny:

• Baytown Bert likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#37 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:26 PM

Okay, I have contacted bubberdad (I would like to know about that name) and I will see if he has a suggestion for a meeting spot.  I asked for a good home base - where we could picnic w/ a playground nearby.  We will see what he suggests and I will use those co-ords.  But mark your calendars for the morning of Saturday, June 8th.

#38 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

There's an elevated pavillion with clean bathrooms (I know they are always clean, because BubberDad cleans them on contract).

TXGA SETX Representative

#39 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Okay, I have contacted bubberdad (I would like to know about that name) and I will see if he has a suggestion for a meeting spot.  I asked for a good home base - where we could picnic w/ a playground nearby.  We will see what he suggests and I will use those co-ords.  But mark your calendars for the morning of Saturday, June 8th.

Attached is a link for the coords for the CITO held at the park about 2 weeks ago.  The kids will love the caches and it is perfect to walk around the water while they search.  They do have a nice pavilion area with shade and bathrooms.

http://www.geocachin...54-d4b9c82fc30b

#40 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:01 PM

Done!  I realized I hadn't thought of a good name - so that part is lame but it is my first event so go easy on me. I also was very vague due to the recommendations to not mention caching in my event. So it says we are going to meet and picnic.  That is code for - meet, cache and then picnic.  Can I edit the event once it is published? :angel:   :coolsmiley:    these emoticons are pretty funny in themselves. ( mtp  what could this mean? I got a fish?) 

Please sign up - with or without kids.   I am hoping for a big happy event for cachers of all ages.  I figure if the younger kids poop out they can hang back at home base while the older ones grab a few more caches. I should also find out if this park allows dogs so I will know if I can bring the geoHund. 

Edited by rozowski5, 07 May 2013 - 08:02 PM.

• KeyResults likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users