• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

I have been meeting lots of nice people with kids that cache.  I thought it would be fun to have a cache w/ kids picnic in a park.  My kids love to meet other people and it would be fun to go as a group and do some caches.  I was thinking either June 8th or 9th - which is the weekend after my kids get out of school.  Can I make this an event and put it on geocaching.com? and does anyone have a suggestion of a place to meet up with fun caches for kids & then have lunch? 

#2 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have been meeting lots of nice people with kids that cache.  I thought it would be fun to have a cache w/ kids picnic in a park.  My kids love to meet other people and it would be fun to go as a group and do some caches.  I was thinking either June 8th or 9th - which is the weekend after my kids get out of school.  Can I make this an event and put it on geocaching.com? and does anyone have a suggestion of a place to meet up with fun caches for kids & then have lunch?

Groundspeak won't publish an event for the purpose of meeting up and going caching.

Do not mention it on the page.

Plan a nice picnic in a park to last maybe 2 hours and then go caching after with as many folks that want to.

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

Absolutely!  Make it up.  They will come.  It just has to be submitted at least 2 weeks ahead of time. Recommendation:  Hold it where you want to.  :)

Posted Image

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Groundspeak won't publish an event for the purpose of meeting up and going caching.

Do not mention it on the page.

Plan a nice picnic in a park to last maybe 2 hours and then go caching after with as many folks that want to.

Per the guidelines, GS has loosened that rule 'a bit'.  "An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together geocachers for an organized geocache search."  Here, that's not the primary purpose.  It's incidental.

In general, though, R5, Snoogans is right.  The less you mention about it there the better.  Cachers expect that when there is an event those who have not found the ones nearby will go get them.  So you really don't have to say too much about it on the cache page anyway.

Posted Image

#5 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

WL Jenkins Park in Baytown is a good place with a lots of caches, open space, a dog park, and trails, plus a playground and pavillions. GC2AYQE

Edited by Baytown Bert, 30 April 2013 - 12:04 PM.

• KeyResults likes this

TXGA SETX Representative

#6 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

It seems weird that GS doesn't want us caching. I thought that was kinda the point of GS. Thanks for the warning since I would have never thought about that.

I don't know much about the parks outside the city but I figured that was where we should head to hit a lot of caches.

#7 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,810 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

Challenger Park down in the League CIty area has lots of caches and nice caching trails.  They have some wonderful pavilions, but they're kind of costly to rent.

Then there's the Baytown Nature Center -- just sayin'...

• KeyResults likes this
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#8 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

There's some great kayak caches along Challenger 7 Park, too.  :notme:

BNC is also a great place to go with a group, too, and a lot of fun.

But if you don't care about an event smiley, the easiest way to get a group toghether is to post in the Metro Mashups section on this forum.  Just put where you want to go and when, and you can usually find some takers - especially if it's a well known series or something.  Even on short notice. 

• KeyResults likes this
Posted Image

#9 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

you already know i'm planning on meeting up with you guys that weekend :coolsmiley:    but more people with us sounds good too.  ian (powerdog02) keeps asking who else we know that does geocaching.

• rozowski5 likes this
the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#10 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Make it an event (You get an automatic smiley).  Trade TB's, meet and greet, and go geocaching.  Take photos and publish them on the event page.

TXGA SETX Representative

#11 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

The less you mention about it there the better.  Cachers expect that when there is an event those who have not found the ones nearby will go get them.  So you really don't have to say too much about it on the cache page anyway.

It seems like a lot of people cache before (on the way to) an event so if they don't know a group are going afterward they might be cached out.

#12 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

cached out.

What's that mean?

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#13 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

LOL  I usually cache-out when I run out of amphetamine.   JK

TXGA SETX Representative

#14 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

cached out.

What's that mean?

That depends on who you ask. TexasWriters' definition is probably different than most :)

• TexasWriter likes this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#15 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

I thought "cached out" meant that you had found all of the caches in a ___ __ radius (you get to pick the distance and the unit).   :angel:

#16 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:54 AM

When there are no caches close by to find... hide some!

TXGA SETX Representative

#17 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:00 AM

If you are planning to cache with kids, think about some areas that have nice trails but also think about the distance the kids are going to have to hike to get to the caches.  Keep it within their limits depending on their age and stamina. 

• green-eyed likes this
Posted Image

#18 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

BB and HC covered the east side, and Cachestacker covered the south end. On the north end you have Pundt Park with the Critter Adventures series that were intended for kids (and those of us adults who never grew up). If people want to cache afterward that 1) don't have kids with them, or 2) have kids that can ride a bike for a few hours), the Greenway Trail series of caches (about 50) stretches along the blacktop trail all the way down to Jesse Jones Park. Just throwing that out as an option (I don't get kickbacks from bubberdad or geojrh).
  • georeyna likes this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#19 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

cached out.

What's that mean?

That depends on who you ask. TexasWriters' definition is probably different than most :)

I've heard of this phenomenon, but I've never personally experienced it...at least not when caching alone. The closest I get is when my wife gets "that look" in her eyes (as in "eyes glazed over") and begins to mutter things about causing me bodily harm. Like a lot of things, I just don't know when to stop sometimes. That's not always a good trait. Lol

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#20 Dhaulaghiri

Dhaulaghiri

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationRice Village, Houston

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

cached out.

What's that mean?

I've heard of this phenomenon, but I've never personally experienced it...at least not when caching alone. The closest I get is when my wife gets "that look" in her eyes (as in "eyes glazed over") and begins to mutter things about causing me bodily harm. Like a lot of things, I just don't know when to stop sometimes. That's not always a good trait. Lol

LOL, so my wife isn't the only one with a 'look' like that  :2funny: !

I get that look whenever we do more than 20-25 caches in a row, or even worse after 15 seconds of bushwhacking!! She likes caching, but HATES bushwhacking and just misses the 'cache-fever' I've got.

To stay on topic: The Jesse Jones Park is actually a good suggestion. Another good on (go LogDawgs) would be the President Series up north, it's a great park (forest), with over 60 caches to be found. Granted, it would be a challenge to do them all in a day with kids (took me nearly all day) but some of the containers will blow them away! XXXL size to really creative!

"Do or do not, there is no try." -Yoda

"Some say he can get FTF on a 5 terrain cache blindfolded. Some say he's never decrypted a hint and doesn't own a GPSr. All we know is... he's called The STIG!" -Houston Control

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=7e0df5f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users