4 replies to this topic

#1 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

THE ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY PROGRAM BEGAN IN TEXAS IN 1985 AND CONTINUES TO GROW – SAVING TAXPAYERS’ MONEY AND KEEPING OUR HIGHWAYS CLEAN. A VOLUNTEERING GROUP ENTERS A 2-YEAR AGREEMENT, ADOPTING A TWO MILE SECTION OF A STATE HIGHWAY (2 MILES ALONG EACH SIDE). ELIGIBLE GROUPS ARE AS FOLLOWS: MEMBERS OR EMPLOYEES OF CIVIC AND NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS; EMPLOYEES OF PRIVATE BUSINESSES AND GOVERNMENTAL ENTITIES; FAMILIES; AND INDIVIDUALS. THEY AGREE TO PICK UP TRASH 8 TIMES IN TWO YEARS, DOING QUARTERLY PICK UPS. THE STATE PUTS OUT SIGNS, FURNISHES SAFETY VESTS AND TRASH BAGS. THE GROUP PICKS UP THE TRASH AND THE STATE HAULS IT OFF. THE COST INVOLVED IS THE VOLUNTEER'S TIME TO PICK UP TRASH.

SOME HIGHWAYS CANNOT BE ADOPTED: INTERSTATE, FREEWAY, AND DIVIDED HIGHWAYS CANNOT BE ADOPTED. THERE MAY BE OTHER REASONS FOR NOT ALLOWING A HIGHWAY TO BE ADOPTED. 

OUR DISTRICT COVERS SIX COUNTIES: BRAZORIA, FORT BEND, GALVESTON, HARRIS, MONTGOMERY AND WALLER. MOST OF THE HIGHWAYS IN HARRIS COUNTY CANNOT BE ADOPTED.

KEEP HOUSTON BEAUTIFUL HAS A PROGRAM FOR CITY BLOCKS. THEY CAN BE CONTACTED AT (713) 839-8855. HARRIS COUNTY ALSO HAS A PROGRAM FOR COUNTY ROADS. THE COUNTY COMMISSIONER FOR THE AREA WOULD HAVE TO BE CONTACTED FOR DETAILS.

So, does anyone have any idea WHERE they (or I) would like to adopt?

Please post only spots. Would like to have the list within a couple of weeks so I can proceed.

#2 Eagles1181

Eagles1181

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:15 AM

My guess is you would have to get in contact with the county, but I think you can adopt stretches of Westiemer Parkway inside GBP.

Eagle

Posted Image

#3 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,850 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Try to find a road with nice wide shoulders and not too much traffic -- or at least where the speed limit isn't 65 mph.  The stretch of Hwy 124 that the SETXGang adopted had plenty of room to park on the shoulders and not too much traffic.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#4 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 29 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

Agree with HC. My NY plant did Adopt-a-Highway on a 4 mile long section of 2 lane road, not too heavily travelled but pretty well littered. We broke it up into eight half mile sections and had people sign up for certain sections. Two people could do a half mile section over lunch, with one car at each end. You clean your side, I clean mine, and we meet at the car at the end. If the end car was parked in the ice cream stand parking lot you had extra incentive, but also extra napkins and debris to clean up. 

We had prizes for most unusual find along the way, and also a few lost cell phones/pagers from the bending and fetching. Be careful out there.

#5 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

there are quite a few stretches of road in galveston county (clear lake/league city/dickinson) that have wide shoulders and/or grassy shoulders.  some have adopted sections already and some have boat ramps (hint for those of you with kayaks).  you could check FM 270, FM 646, FM 96 or Hwy 3.  Some stretches of each of these are divided lanes and others are just 2 lanes.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users