35 replies to this topic

#21 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

I have lost four ammo cans chained to trees.  Not rinky dink chain bat rather tow chain.  They cut the chain and took the can and all.  Two were in the middle of Jones State Forest.  It's just the price of playing.  I'd really like to see someone steel my Ben Franklin Cache.  Now that would be funny.  It's not buried but it is held down with 2 feet of cement and it weighs 150lbs on its own.

Don't tell me you put out a memorial statue to yourself. That would be taking the TXGA president thing a tad too far. :stirpot:

No the statue is not quite ready yet.  It will be on the side of 45 near downtown next to the other large heads.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,944 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

I tether my ammo cans with 1/8" steel cable, but loop it through an eyebolt attached to the can, not just through the handle or that flimsy wire hoop thing.  I've only lost one that was secured like that, and on it, the cable had rusted so badly after being submerged during Ike that the thieves were able to break it off at the attach point.

I saw one of your caches done that way and considered doing it but now you have another chance for the can to leak.  I decided anyone who wants the can bad enough won't want to screw up the handle to the point it's unusable.  The fact this person went to the trouble to cut the cable sorta supports that.  It's possible the cable I used was stainless cause it was as shinny as the day I put it out in February two years ago.

I drill a hole in the can, put an eyebolt through it with washers and nuts on both sides and epoxy the hell out of everything with JB Weld.  That seals it and pretty much prevents anyone from just unscrewing the nuts.  A couple of ammo cans rode out Hurrican Ike, floating by the end of the cable in the water column of the 14' storm surge and didn't leak a drop.  It takes cable cutters to cut the cable -- you can't just bring lineman's pliers or side-cutters.  I had one where someone brought cable cutters, cut the cable cleanly but left the can sitting right there.  Weird.

In 8 years, I think I've lost 8 or 9 ammo cans to a combination of muggles, bulldozers and hurricanes.  Only one of those was tethered.

Edited by HoustonControl, 23 April 2013 - 02:05 PM.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#23 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

In light of Boston, and the reprisal of fear of boxes and containers sitting unattended in strange or isolated places, it is probably a really good idea to label the heck out of ammo cans and other larger containers these days. I'm thinking a bi-lingual explanation inside is a good idea too with so many Texas residents being Spanish speakers.

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#24 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

not sure if that matters so much.  What's the difference between a well labeled geocache and a bomb labeled as a geocache?

I think having a clear container or lid is even better.  But it takes some of our fun out of it.

Posted Image

#25 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Trick question? At the very least it communicates the "what & why" of the large container, and the "expectation" as to what it "should not" contain.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#26 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

My ammo can on TEXAS X03 survived the fire in George Bush Park only to be stolen by some lowlife. It was only tethered to the bush with a rope. When I went to do maintenance there wasn't much cover left but who would be out in the middle of the TEXAS series? I suppose the ammo can was so pretty with the Texas flag painted on the side they couldn't resist taking it. Sadly I had to replace it with a soda tube. If you look closely you can spot it in the picture. This is what TEXAS X03 looks like now:

2d524985-d004-43d3-a814-83143f5385b6.jpg

Edited by Kirbydox, 24 April 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#27 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

spotted it in the picture.... now i just have to go out and find it.  :)

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#28 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,944 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

That was a nice paint job on that can.

262f638b-3437-48b4-a19f-0a169bbe551d.jpg

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#29 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Sorry to see that one get away!

Here it was immediately after the fire....

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Attached Files

Posted Image

#30 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

You didn't log that as a find, did you? Lol

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#31 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

Sorry to see that one get away!

Here it was immediately after the fire....

At first glance I saw dirty underwear... sorry.. I don't know whats wrong with me...
  • TravelingGeek and green-eyed like this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#32 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:23 PM

Looks like I missed the window of opportunity in TEXAS.
Posted Image

#33 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:52 PM

Looks like I missed the window of opportunity in TEXAS.

no!   Just on the cool ammo can in the very middle.  The rest of the series is in place and way cool!

Posted Image

#34 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

I was referring to the fires making clear paths to all the caches for me. They appear now to be back to original terrain ratings. :-(
Posted Image

#35 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

You didn't log that as a find, did you? Lol

geez....  no... i don't do virtual finds quite like that! 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#36 Kirbydox

Kirbydox

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationWest Houston

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

I was referring to the fires making clear paths to all the caches for me. They appear now to be back to original terrain ratings. :-(

It WAS easier after the fire but you ended up with black soot from head to toe. The terrain is actually a little worse now in some places thanks to the downed trees from both the fire and drought. You spend a lot of time and energy going around or over the deadfall. I had to replace 3 of my TEXAS X because they were on trees that fell and were buried. The area of the X and A is sure different from the first (or second) time I did the TEXAS series. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users