35 replies to this topic

#1 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:47 PM

One of my caches was in an ammo box in a wooded area.  It was in a location where it would be VERY unlikely anybody would discover it if they weren't following the cache coordinates.  Someone had dumped out the cache, cut the steel cable and taken the box.   It was a 1/4" cable, so it would have taken bolt cutters to cut it.  This suggest someone saw it on one trip and came back with bolt cutters.  I'm reluctant to put out another ammo box at that location. 

Edited by Thot, 22 April 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#2 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

That is just horrible. I had an ammo can stolen from its location a while back and feel the pain. Nothing beats ammo can caches, they are simply the  best to find but I am reluctant to put more out there for fear of being stolen.

#3 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

I've had ammo cans stolen before, so now I always tether them, but I can't believe someone went to the trouble to bring a bolt cutter.  If you've ever seen a 1/4" cable you might be able to cut a 1/8" cable but one this size?  After doing this large cable, it was so much trouble I had decided never to fool with one like this again.  I guess that's still a good plan because it didn't help anyway. 

Edited by Thot, 22 April 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#4 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:38 PM

Ammo cans are very easy to find and buy. They are not terribly expensive either so I don't understand why someone would go through all that trouble to steal them.

#5 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

I too have had a couple of tethered ammo cans stolen. I wasn't using 1/4" cable but still I had them tethered.
Posted Image

#6 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

It seems the consensus, in our area(NW Houston) that Premium is the way to go, unfortunately. The freebies seem to attract vandals and thief's with nothing better to do. They seem to prefer to take the containers especially bison tubes and ammo cans. They seem less interested in cheapo repurposed DIY type containers. We rarely publish non-premium caches sadly.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#7 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:11 PM

It seems the consensus, in our area(NW Houston) that Premium is the way to go, unfortunately. The freebies seem to attract vandals and thief's with nothing better to do. They seem to prefer to take the containers especially bison tubes and ammo cans. They seem less interested in cheapo repurposed DIY type containers. We rarely publish non-premium caches sadly.

I've got over 170 hides nowadays, and every single one of them is premium. I try to learn from the misfortunes of others just as much as my own, and I heard this was a problem early on in my caching, so premium is the only way I've gone.  

Several months ago, we found a non-premium cache down in Sugar Land where someone had gone to the trouble of taking a whole sheet in a large log book to write a nasty-gram to all cachers. Pathetic...

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#8 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

Can you convert caches to Premium?

#9 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:55 PM

I tether my ammo cans with 1/8" steel cable, but loop it through an eyebolt attached to the can, not just through the handle or that flimsy wire hoop thing.  I've only lost one that was secured like that, and on it, the cable had rusted so badly after being submerged during Ike that the thieves were able to break it off at the attach point.

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#10 DangerKitties

DangerKitties

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:17 PM

My last two caches I put out I actually bolted to a stationary object. Sad I had to do it but actually turned out to be a good container. I really do wish there were more ammo can caches, personally I am not a fan of what seems to be a 100micro to 1 regular container size.

#11 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

One thing which seems to have helped around my usual caching grounds is to not mention the container is an ammo can on the cache page.

Edit to add:  Of course, that doesn't help any if someone goes to the cache first and then comes back as indicated in the OP.

Edited by OHail, 22 April 2013 - 10:24 PM.

There is no adventure without risk.

#12 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

I tether my ammo cans with 1/8" steel cable, but loop it through an eyebolt attached to the can, not just through the handle or that flimsy wire hoop thing.  I've only lost one that was secured like that, and on it, the cable had rusted so badly after being submerged during Ike that the thieves were able to break it off at the attach point.

I saw one of your caches done that way and considered doing it but now you have another chance for the can to leak.  I decided anyone who wants the can bad enough won't want to screw up the handle to the point it's unusable.  The fact this person went to the trouble to cut the cable sorta supports that.  It's possible the cable I used was stainless cause it was as shinny as the day I put it out in February two years ago.

#13 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

I wondered why I see so many Premium caches up north.  I read one time that the apps on smartphones could see the caches anyway.  Is this false?  All of my caches are public and Larry may see it differently on his, but mine haven't been disturbed that I know of, at least not lately.  sometimes I think the TB's are stolen, but that's about it.

TXGA SETX Representative

#14 Team Troglodyte

Team Troglodyte

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationConroe, TX

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:13 AM

You can switch to Premium and back again at will.

#15 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

You can switch to Premium and back again at will.

Yep, Trog is correct. You simply edit the cache page like you normally would and either check or uncheck the box that says "Check if you only want Premium and Charter Members to view this cache."

#16 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

I wondered why I see so many Premium caches up north.  I read one time that the apps on smartphones could see the caches anyway.  Is this false?  All of my caches are public and Larry may see it differently on his, but mine haven't been disturbed that I know of, at least not lately.  sometimes I think the TB's are stolen, but that's about it.

before i converted to premium, i couldn't see them on my android phone.  not sure about iphones...  i was caching with my brother, who had premium and could see them, but i didn't have anything other than regular caches.

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#17 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:45 AM

I have lost four ammo cans chained to trees.  Not rinky dink chain bat rather tow chain.  They cut the chain and took the can and all.  Two were in the middle of Jones State Forest.  It's just the price of playing.  I'd really like to see someone steel my Ben Franklin Cache.  Now that would be funny.  It's not buried but it is held down with 2 feet of cement and it weighs 150lbs on its own.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:10 AM

I have lost four ammo cans chained to trees.  Not rinky dink chain bat rather tow chain.  They cut the chain and took the can and all.  Two were in the middle of Jones State Forest.  It's just the price of playing.  I'd really like to see someone steel my Ben Franklin Cache.  Now that would be funny.  It's not buried but it is held down with 2 feet of cement and it weighs 150lbs on its own.

Don't tell me you put out a memorial statue to yourself. That would be taking the TXGA president thing a tad too far. :stirpot:

#19 ~windknot~

~windknot~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMissouri City

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

My latest hide is held down with a small chain.  I assumed that it would be enough to deter any thefts of "opportunity" and that if they want it bad enough, they'll find a way to get it anyway.

I hadn't considered that making it a Premium cache would make it safer.  It's in a remote area and is a puzzle cache so I'm hoping that anyone who would go through the effort to solve the puzzle and find the cache wouldn't want to steal it once they get there.  The only finders so far have been premium members so maybe I should consider converting it to premium.

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=d30725e

#20 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

I believe puzzles are an exception if the vandals are just bored kids w smartphones killing time. Unless of course they are vandals that like to solve puzzles! Also agree that it's prudent to not mention ammo can, or bison tube, etc. in heavy populated areas. The cache density and population density has a lot to do with vandals, but we noted dramatic decrease in muggling and vandalism when we switched certain hides to premium. Especially accessible caches right on trails.
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users