17 replies to this topic

#1 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Here is my entry for GC2RJ8B - VYSO

"Still enjoying the TRIP and a half, riding with TEAMCULL and going to the 2013 TEXAS CHALLENGE in Port Aransas. BUT - BUT, this is where I discovered that I had lost my GPS. I knew I had it at the rest area some 6 1/2 miles back there. What to do, what to do, do I write it off or do we go back and start looking.

Decided to go back and make a attempt to look for the GPS. So we drive back to where we met up with PEARLE some 8 1/2 miles back. Stopped there and could not find anything, so we made our way to the 4 caches in the rest area where I knew I had it.

Could not find anythins at any of the caches. I'm ready to write the unit off and continue on to the CHALLENGE. Got back onto the main lanes of US 59. All of a sudden, David spotted something in the moving lane we were in, backed up and stopped. THERE IT WAS, in a moving lane of traffic.

The GPS looked like it have been ran overr with some damage in the bottom corner, only one battery was with the unit but had been knocked out of place and was being held on by the battery cover. Did not find the other battery.

The glass on the front was still in place and no damage, no cracks or anything.

Now to see if it still works. David had extra batteries. We put new batteries in the unit anr what do you know, it started working.

WHEW. This make the fourth time I have lost the GPS.

Back on the road again."

#2 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Wow.  You have some luck there!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Great to hear you got it -- even better that it still worked for the rest of your trip!

Posted Image

#4 heftydude

heftydude

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

You must be doing some right living.   :angel:

Posted Image

#5 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:34 PM

Cool story. Twice, no less. Maybe we need to get you a big lanyard or something! :) 

Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#6 PARKERPLUS

PARKERPLUS

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

I need something

#7 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Once in Baytown I'd pulled over at a little paved area near the cache.  I got out and soon realized I couldn't get to it from there and got back in the car to go about 200 yards down the feeder.  When I reached the new place I couldn't find my gadget.  Thinking back I realized I had put it on top of the car while I did something before getting in.  It must have slid off of the car as I drove drove away. I went to the next crossunder/over, came back around and there it was in the middle of the feeder completely unharmed.

#8 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

What luck, both of you!!!

Posted Image

#9 ATMA

ATMA

Slightly Confused

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationNASA JSC Area

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:00 PM

Wow, your receiver must have bounced hard. Good it is still working.

#10 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

Wow, your receiver must have bounced hard. Good it is still working.

I agree.  When I realized what had happened I thought it was the end of that gadget.

#11 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

I lost my phone while caching in Charlie's Pasture before the Challenge.  I had met up with BigGuyinTexas and another cacher and we were working on a JMCz multi.  When we couldn't find it, I volunteered to go back to the first WP to double-check the coords while the other two kept searching.  Esther said she would call me so I would have her number to call her back once I got back to the first WP.  That's when I realized I no longer had my phone.  I figured I had just left it in my truck, so I went there first and searched everywhere but couldn't find it.  I was about to panic, but figured I would go back to WP1 GZ to check the coords, then go find Esther and see if she could call my phone again and maybe I could hear it if I had dropped it somewhere in the vicinity.  As I approached the first waypoint for the cache, I remembered taking a picture of it with my phone because it was unique.  And there the phone was, laying in the grass right where I had set it down to input the revised coords into my GPSr! 

I guess it was a good thing we didn't find the cache right away and I had to go back!

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#12 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,386 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:06 AM

So Larry you lost both your phone and your pedometer in Charlie's pasture.   I had found his pedometer and picked it up hoping to find the owner later and it turned out to be Larry's.  

Posted Image

#13 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:07 AM

On to gawd, I try never to set my GPSr, camera, or anything on the ground, rock, sign, or post when I'm caching for this very reason.  It is so easy to walk off without it.

TXGA SETX Representative

#14 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:59 AM

Yes, Kathy, you are correct.  Still not sure why I set the phone in the grass.  I also left my phone at Buffalo Wild Wings over the weekend and the waitress had to come running out after me.  DOH!

#15 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,326 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

HC, it won't be long before you graduate to that subtle old age of forgetting your pants.
  • Baytown Bert likes this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#16 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,920 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Huh?  Who are you again? 

YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

#17 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

What?!? :huh:
Posted Image

#18 teamCull

teamCull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, that's why I didn't let Parkerplus drive on the trip.  He gets so wrapped up in caching, that he might have left me behind.  No telling just how far down the road before he realized I wasn't there...  ;D 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users