8 replies to this topic

#1 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Looks like this just started up.  You get 5 trackables and if you drop them in 5 dive caches, you can win $1000?!?

Thats enough info entice me to sign up!

http://beadiver.com/...-texas-treasure

Requires logging at opencaching.com... not at fan, but what the heck.

Posted Image

#2 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Great idea. Too bad its on opencaching

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Are the trackables on opencaching only or does opencaching use any trackables?

Posted Image

#4 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Just might have start buying some gear.

#5 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Are the trackables on opencaching only or does opencaching use any trackables?

LOL!   these guys don't really get the caching thing.  The tags are numbered and they track who they send the tags to.  Then you have to put the tag in each of 5 specific caches to prove you were there. Then they collect those caches and figure out who was at all 5.  Those people go into the drawing for the $1,000.

Oh, and you have to be present at the drawing to win.  The drawing is at the Dive Around Texas banquet in October.  It's held after the Comel river dive in-trash out event.   Last year, they gave away an amazing amount of door prizes... and many of them were $100 or more items.  Some really expensive.   The whole thing is sponsored by the dive industry.

So to answer the question... you don't keep the tags, but they don't travel either.  I should have read more before calling them trackables.

Sounds like fun, but not traditional caching.

Ironically at that banquet they gave out dozens and dozens of door prizes... it went on for over an hour of just drawing numbers.  All really great dive gear and some dive trinkets.  What did I come home with ?  A hunting knife!  The only non dive item in the lot and i get it.   Funny.

Posted Image

#6 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'm going to hit the one at Blue Lagoon tomorrow and maybe do Mammoth lake on Sunday.  Anyone want to join me?  Both lakes have GC.com and OC.com caches. 

The tags are really GC trackables.  The tags are made by CacheMark and you get a turtle, crab, seahorse, dolphin  and blowfish.  

It really very funny!  OpenCaching.com is the "Exclusive" geocaching site for "DiveCaching" (coording to DEMA) and they are using Groundspeak trackable tags to do their reverse tracking contest thingy.  They crack me up.  I wonder of Garmin knows that their partner is paying their competition for tracking numbers they don't even expect to be used?!?

So... I signed up three of us, and since I was diving this weekend, I called them to to see if they drop em in the mail on wednesday hoping I would get them on Saturday.  Turns out they had web problems and could send them until until Thursday so they Fedex'd them overnight so I would have them for diving on Saturday.  WOW... they don't know beans about geocaching, but boy do they commit to a marketing program!

Anyway, I'm going to register all 15 trackable tags and post some pictures.

Posted Image

#7 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

FTF on a DiveCache with PuzzlePainter!  Yea, sure it's with OpenCaching... but still a dive cache!

http://www.opencachi...eocache/OXZT8KN

The cache was an ammo can that was pad locked closed and had a slot cut out o the side to put your trackable into.  The can was tied down, so it won't wander to far (un aided).

• 2katz likes this
Posted Image

#8 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

Congrats TG! This is a very cool twist on things. Now you can start topping your "below sea level" best stats presumably. :D Pics?
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#9 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 10:54 PM

humm.. I'm not sure I want to admit to my opencaching.com stats   :-[

But I found the GC.com one there for my 1000th milestone last year.   O0

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic