#1 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Greetings everyone!

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm 100% new to geocaching as I've been joining some of my mates in finds up near Downtown and the Museum District sporatically since late 2011 (and yet I still barely only have maybe 30 finds), but I've decided to continue this hobby at my new residence and was wondering if there was constructive advice any of you seasoned cachers could offer to someone still a bit "wet behind the ears" on the area. Many thanks in advance and I hope to meet some of you on the trails in the future! :D

Edited by Kyrenx, 15 April 2013 - 07:30 AM.

img.aspx?txt=I'm+not+lost!+I'm+Geocachin

#2 Cyborg_TEK

Cyborg_TEK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:54 PM

Welcome!  I'm fairly new to HGCS also and only actively caching since Sept (although a geocaching.com member for a few years) but can share a bit I've learned over the past 8 months.  Don't run around getting all of the ones around your residence right away.  A fairly significant percentage of cachers will at one time try their streak of a cache a day for a year and a day.  The ones close to your residence are easy and tempting but if you are planing to work a streak, it definitely becomes more difficult throughout the year if these have already been found. I started my streak on Jan 1 this year and made the mistake of grabbing half of the ones around my "circle of death" when I started caching so now I'm planning routes on my work travels that allow me to continue while I still save some close to home on those days that I feel poor or having bad weather.

Edited by Cyborg_TEK, 13 April 2013 - 08:49 PM.

"Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party."

img.aspx?&uid=4b9d9c59-54d9-4f4d-b418-04

#3 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Think you mean "streak" above.

Best advice: Hit some local events. There is one next Thursday in Clear Lake at La Brisa. Get to know some locals. You'll find them very helpful with info, tips, hints, etc.

And you may find some folks to go caching with!
Posted Image

#4 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'll be sure to keep that in mind Cyborg. Though, I've mainly been trying to push for only caches that can be found at the local parks and have avoided the ones that will have me creeping around the various neighborhoods for the time being, so I think I'll have plenty saved up for those penniless days that I'll need to use my bicycle to cache around for.

As far as events.. well, I had originally planned to show up to the one earlier today at Fuddruckers but time unfortunately slipped away from me. I have the La Brisa event and the Discovery Green ones marked on my calendar. :D

#5 Cyborg_TEK

Cyborg_TEK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSpring, TX

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Cachestacker was correct... Indeed it should have been "streak." I correctly edited my post as I was distracted while writing the original. Thanks Cachestacker.

Edited by Cyborg_TEK, 15 April 2013 - 02:34 AM.

"Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party."

img.aspx?&uid=4b9d9c59-54d9-4f4d-b418-04

#6 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

Welcome!  I'm fairly new to HGCS also and only actively caching since Sept (although a geocaching.com member for a few years) but can share a bit I've learned over the past 8 months.  Don't run around getting all of the ones around your residence right away.  A fairly significant percentage of cachers will at one time try their streak of a cache a day for a year and a day.  The ones close to your residence are easy and tempting but if you are planing to work a streak, it definitely becomes more difficult throughout the year if these have already been found. I started my streak on Jan 1 this year and made the mistake of grabbing half of the ones around my "circle of death" when I started caching so now I'm planning routes on my work travels that allow me to continue while I still save some close to home on those days that I feel poor or having bad weather.

Good to see you on here, man!

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#7 green-eyed

green-eyed

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • LocationLeague City

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Don't run around getting all of the ones around your residence right away.  A fairly significant percentage of cachers will at one time try their streak of a cache a day for a year and a day.  The ones close to your residence are easy and tempting but if you are planing to work a streak, it definitely becomes more difficult throughout the year if these have already been found.

good advice... I have a bunch around my surrounding neighborhoods that I've been slowly working on and felt bad for not having the ones next to my home done first.  since I often go caching at lunch when I need a break from my desk, I'm clearing out the ones by my office and sad that I need more to find.  But, I have a 10 yr old I take with me most of the time, so we spread out the finds when he doesn't have homework or scouts.

kyrenx - welcome to the neighborhood!  i'm fairly new still and in league city. 

the crazy lady often found caching in a dress and heels...
Posted Image

#8 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:53 AM

http://ourbaytown.co...rt/geocache.htm

TXGA SETX Representative

#9 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

Many thanks green-eyed!

For the most part that all appears to be some sound info in general sir, but is a machete really all the necessary? I just figure if someone was able to get out there to place it, there should be away to locate it without leaving a geotrail?

#10 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

Go search on youtube for  Baytown Bert Geocaching.  Some of those vids may show you how beneficial one can be on certain caches/series.

Posted Image

#11 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Go search on youtube for  Baytown Bert Geocaching.  Some of those vids may show you how beneficial one can be on certain caches/series.

Well, I was in Seabrook and learned the hard way how useful carrying a machete might have been while trying to make my way to GC46R7J. Of course it might have also helped if I didn't try to bushwack my way through so many thorn patches. :D

#12 Mustard Devil

Mustard Devil

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Wait till you try caching in GBP or Bear Creek Park, then you'll wish you had a machete or maybe a flamethrower!

#13 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Wait till you try caching in GBP or Bear Creek Park, then you'll wish you had a machete or maybe a flamethrower!

Or the Brawndo series in Baytown, or the Brazos Bend Endurance Series in Brazos Bend State Park.

• Baytown Bert likes this
Posted Image

#14 Kyrenx

Kyrenx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWebster

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

Or the Brawndo series in Baytown, or the Brazos Bend Endurance Series in Brazos Bend State Park.

GBP = George Bush Park? That's quite a nice list of caches I must do now and I had planned on hitting up Brazos Bend SP later in the summer, so it's good to know (that despite the impending heat) I should probably bring some long sleeves for the trip. Any other state park recommendations?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users