Photo

Is it time for a SETX Team mascot change?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: SETX Mascot (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you care that there are two SETX mascots?

1. Yes (6 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (22 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

3. Abstain (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Do you feel that we should pursue one mascot for the entire SETX region?

1. Yes (13 votes [43.33%])

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

2. No (12 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Abstain (5 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Color?

1. Pink (14 votes [48.28%])

Percentage of vote: 48.28%

2. Other - specify in reply (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

3. Abstain (9 votes [31.03%])

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

How about the Dog?  Maybe a Boxer?  I  know your TXGA president would like it.  Just kidding.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

With all that said.... I am firmly in the Snoogans camp that would like to see the extinction of the Challenge altogether.

I actually reversed my opinion of wanting to see TC die this year. I just hate to see it suck resources from what could be a real Texas based mega event that would bring in visitors from beyond Texas. Live and let live. Leave TC to the die hards.

If this year's TC was really a mega based on actual attendance AT the event, I'll eat a bug. I didn't see it. That wasn't really a mega event anywhere but on paper from my observation. There I said it.

Most folks won't travel for 2 big Texas events. I say put it to a TXGA vote. TC or a real Texas mega event. When the Texas mega wins, let the die hards take turns hosting TC until it dies on its own. Set it free. TXGA has been keeping it on life support since 2006 when Centex changed the format or it would have died long ago.

Edited by Snoogans, 13 April 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#23 Huff-Suter

Huff-Suter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSpring Tx

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

We have attended several events and this very topic was brought up. 

It can be uncomfortable to see the same team divided.  As any organization grows in membership so should the group’s willingness to make changes.  I have read several of the comments posted and I don’t think 2Kats wrote anything that others have not discussed at different events. I do not know anything about the SETX Board or even if we have one. Is this a topic that can be brought  before a board and voted on?  I think it would be cool to have members submit team names and logos to be voted on by all SETX members.  That way everyone can have a say and the organization can move forward and become a more cohesive team.

I did see that not all people embraced the pink shirts.  I even seen that the NTN wore there own shirts...So really we had 3 groups out supporting there own cause. Just another reason why the logo issue should be resolved before next years event. 

I believe that if more people made casual cachers feel more welcome to compete in the challenge and didnt make them feel like they are not good enough we would have more people competing instead of sitting on the sidelines.  North Texas truely represents there region  and it would be nice to see SETX follow suit!!!!

Team Huff-Suter...
Cachin since-June 29-2011
Posted Image

#24 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

We have no SETX board and I hope it stays that way.  We don't need to make geocaching political.  Let's keep it fun.  As far as the different shirts, I wonder if we had organized the ordering of shirts much sooner if more would have known about them and ordered them.  The NTN probably got there shirts ordered and then wanted the chance to wear them.  On the other hand, perhaps some of the guys thought that the design was too feminine.  If we do have a vote, I hope that we will give the group plenty of time to come up with some different well-thought out, classy designs.  

• Baytown Bert and Huff-Suter like this
Posted Image

#25 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:16 AM

okay, since this topic is still on-going - does anyone want to tell me what the difference is between the Texas Challenge and a Mega Event?  Just hearing you all talk about the TC makes me think I don't belong there and that it is too exclusive/hard for me.  I have met people from other states that went to Mega Events and really liked them and I would like to know more about the ones in our area.  I like reading the board here and finding out what is goign on with my new favorite hobby and I would like to be able to participate and help out any way I can. 

#26 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,319 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

A MEGA event is an Official Groundspeak/Geocaching designation for a geocaching event that has an attendance of 500 or more geocachers.
http://www.geocachin...ache_types.aspx

The Texas Challenge is a geocaching event listed on Geocaching.com and achieved MEGA status last year for the first time.

The Texas Challenge is a annual competitive event where Texas regions have traditionally competed against each other finding caches placed specifically for the event that are not listed on Geocaching.com. The caches have point values and the team with the highest score wins.

http://vb.texasgeoca...icipation-Rules
http://coord.info/GC3W8GT - The TXC event page

There is some unfortunate baggage that comes with the competitive event.
So with that TXGA started the The Lone Star round-up. It is a non-competitive social event. Although Snoogans thinks it's a competition cause he wants to the be the most famous popular cacher around. He is a geo-celab superstar. Hardcore... :)
Details here - http://vb.texasgeoca...e-star-round-up

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#27 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:56 AM

I like the alligator as a mascot.  I like the image it projects that we will *go into a death roll* to beat our opponent!

Maybe we can change it to an alligator and put a pink bandanna around the neck.  I know the flamingo got started *way back when* but I am like Kathy in that I am a bit envious of the *Pirate* logo of NTX and the *shark logo* of Southwest Tx.  Just too cool.

I know the pink bandannas can be seen by other members, but they also can be seen by our opponents.

My 2 cents.

• Huff-Suter likes this

#28 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

Oh, and I do not like the Texas Challenge and believe it should be discontinued.  I agree with Snoogans that after the event is over, we are like prison gangs, set up in our little areas instead of visiting and sharing stories with each other.  Maybe we should begin making the Lone Star Challenge a MEGA event and try to promote neighboring states to attend.  When we get together to compete with one another, we are like the Hatfield and McCoys and their is one NTX member that glares at me every time I see him.  I swear, if he glares at me one more time, I am ready to bring out the McCoy in me!  Just tired of the joy of competing being snuffed out of the Texas Challenge completely. 

• JustKeely and Huff-Suter like this

#29 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Snoogans wants to the be the most famous popular cacher around. He is a geo-celab superstar. Hardcore...

Flattery will take me from having an innocent man-crush on you to full blown stalker. Just sayin'.

#30 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:30 AM

Snoogans wants to the be the most famous popular cacher around. He is a geo-celab superstar. Hardcore...

Flattery will take me from having an innocent man-crush on you to full blown stalker. Just sayin'.

I mean really.... I've already spent a couple nights sleeping in your driveway..... That you know of...

#31 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

TMI in the last three posts.

Georeyna: You shouldn't have pushed him down that hill into the cactuses and barbed wire. Some people hold grudges.

Snoogans and TFP: Get a room. And please,please, no pics.

#32 log dawgs

log dawgs

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Snoogans one word.  MOGA

I have heard far and wide about the TX Challenge.  So many opinions on it.  I can not promise anything but it is on my mind.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

@ bbqbob2

Yea, thanks for reminding me about pushing him down a hill and cactus needles piercing his eyes..well wait, now I understand why I get the *glare*.  :uglystupid2:

Yea, I just need to let it go...thanks for the therapy session bbqbob2!! Tell me where to send the *2 cents* to!! LOL!!  :laugh:

#34 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

@ bbqbob2

Yea, thanks for reminding me about pushing him down a hill and cactus needles piercing his eyes..well wait, now I understand why I get the *glare*.  :uglystupid2:

Yea, I just need to let it go...thanks for the therapy session bbqbob2!! Tell me where to send the *2 cents* to!! LOL!!  :laugh:

So now I'm wondering how he's glaring at you with poked out eyes....maybe he "looks" like he's glaring when he's really just trying to make out the blurry objects you've relegated him to now with his damaged eyes. :coolsmiley:

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#35 Cache Control

Cache Control

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

I thought there was only one mascot for the setx region. The flamingo. The setx gang is just a group with in the whole. Kinda like the night time ninjas. I myself have bought flamingos and have used them everytime i camp at any event. Just my 2 pennies worth.

#36 chefkimmo

chefkimmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationHouston (Cy-Fair area)

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

I realize the last post on this was a couple weeks ago but I really haven't been on the site.  I would like to put in my 2 cents as someone who was new to the challenge this year.  Honestly, I don't care if we are flamingos or pink and didn't realize the different camps until after I agreed to help get the shirts.  I was all in and couldn't care who bought or didn't buy but it did get me to wondering why there was a difference.

The mascot - who cares - well, I do get the idea of having something that makes a sound but we could make up a sound... I mean if there is a whoop for something like A&M then we could come up with something...

My thoughts on pink is it doesn't matter what color, it matters that we are unified.  In my experience at the challenge is that I do not know everyone who was SETX so in some ways it was cool to see us all in the same color so I could identify teammates.  In other ways it was a negative during the competition.  How about walking up to GZ and if you don't recognize a person and they weren't wearing pink we would be secretive about looking.  The biggest thing was when others knew immediately I was not on there team and were more negative.  It made me want to go get a black shirt with a pirate on it and see how that turned out.

As far as the challenge, I enjoyed the hunt but when things were said and done something was said to me that made me think about whether I wanted to hunt again.  I completely agree with the following comment. 

I believe that if more people made casual cachers feel more welcome to compete in the challenge and didnt make them feel like they are not good enough we would have more people competing instead of sitting on the sidelines. 

• TexasWriter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users