Photo

Is it time for a SETX Team mascot change?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: SETX Mascot (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you care that there are two SETX mascots?

1. Yes (6 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (22 votes [73.33%])

Percentage of vote: 73.33%

3. Abstain (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Do you feel that we should pursue one mascot for the entire SETX region?

1. Yes (13 votes [43.33%])

Percentage of vote: 43.33%

2. No (12 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Abstain (5 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Color?

1. Pink (14 votes [48.28%])

Percentage of vote: 48.28%

2. Other - specify in reply (6 votes [20.69%])

Percentage of vote: 20.69%

3. Abstain (9 votes [31.03%])

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

I know caching is just a hobby and this topic doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, however... is it time for a change???

Do you think it’s time to unite SETX by developing one mission statement and mascot for the entire region?

As I travel around to various areas within the greater Houston area and speak to follow cachers, I hear talk about one logo or another - 'we had it first', 'we like ours better'…  and it got me thinking.  Mind you, I have no knowledge of the history of the current mascot(s) (flamingo and gator), so it's no skin off my nose to ask the question, although it may tick some people off.

Just think about how much stronger our community would be if we all worked together and flew the same colors that represented our great state of Texas!!

BTW – I’m also not saying that the current mascots (flamingo and gator) are either good or bad, nor that we shouldn't simply leave things just the way they are. However, I do believe we should simply ‘think about it’ and if the majority agrees that we should make a change, we actually DO something about it. 

Please participate in the poll and discuss it here on the board. If there is enough interest in pursuing the topic, we will move on to the next step of setting up the proper support team to write the mission statement and develop a mascot.

I also feel that everyone should have a say in the development of options (I know, this could be quite a mess), not just a small handful of folks, which would then be narrowed down to the final winner by a vote from SETX members.

Another BTW – I know my thoughts are all over the board, but I hope you get the gist of what I was attempting to say.  

Ok, I’m off my soap box now and everyone can begin throwing tomatoes at me!   

Posted Image

#2 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

:stirpot:

Even IF we had one mascot that everyone could agree on... would it get everyone united?  It seemed to me we had two groups at TC.  Those that wore pink shirts and those that had another one made.  I get it.  But it didn't scream unification of the group. 

Like you, I'm not saying good or bad.  It doesn't affect me nor do I even care in the scheme of things.  Just wondering if it would even work if the mascot issue actually got resolved.

You may want to ping the SETX Gang to let them know about this, too, as I don't think they're on here as frequently.

Posted Image

#3 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

I was going to vote, but the option I want isn't listed (and it won't let me abstain--I have to enter answers to both).  I don't really care that there are 2 mascots (so that would be a no).  So what I want to select for the second answer is "I don't care" or "no opinion" or something similarly noncommittal.

We didn't participate in this latest challenge because it was scheduled at the same time that I had to be at a University event.  I wish the challenge had been a different day, but those are the breaks.

We participated in the challenge last year and the year before and had a blast both times.  It was an added bonus to have been a part of the winning team last year.

Since we live in Huntsville, we don't make it to many events.  We aren't antisocial--it often just isn't convenient.

Having said all of that, I don't have a strong feeling about mascots.  I liked the whimsy of "flamingators" but it makes it hard to buy already prepared items. :)

Since we weren't there, I don't know, but I wonder if there is some general discontent because the team didn't win.  I know that many of us can be competitive--the fact that my score and Tealcat's score were different when we did it all together still is a bit irksome if I stop and think about it, but there is nothing to be done about it.  So I need to let it go.

The feelings expressed now might be very different than the feelings expressed a couple of months from now. 

#4 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,306 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:14 PM

Well there really isn't two mascots for the TXC competing SETX Team.

The Flamingo initially started in 2005 as a means to identify SETX Team member's campsites during the challenge and other camping related events.

... and for identifying campsites I can't imagine a more better way than an easily attainable bright pink yard flamingo stuck in the ground.

(You can thank CherokeeCachers for this idea...)

SETXGang represents a local set of cachers in and around the Beaumont area. They aren't or have not participated in the challenge as their own team.

Like the SETXGang It's been suggested that I make the HGCS logo be or contain the Flamingo. I've always resisted and maintained that HGCS is one thing and the SETX Team that participates in the Challenge is another.

The SETX Team is Houston-Huntsville-Beaumount (...and open to whomever else wants to play with us) not HGCS. However since HGCS is the most active forum and we have the largest participating portion of the SETX Team it's always made sense to host communications on this site for planning purposes.

I only see one question. Do we want a new mascot for SETX or not?

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#5 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

How about a Golden Ammo Can with the years that we have won?

Note... I haven't voted yet.

When I first competed, I have to say, I was put off by the pink flamingo.  Since then, I have realized it's not about the bird, its about the win.  I'm OK with a flamingo.  Being an out of stater, I love all things gators, so that would work as well.   The Flamingator (or whatever  could make an occasional appearance  but not as the official one.   Or something new... that would be cool as well as long as we can all embrace it.

As far as color goes... Pink is GREAT for in the field identification.  Neon green would work just as well, but in years past other teams have used that.  Maybe we separate the logo from the color...  if (if!) we get a new mascot maybe we are still pink for the challenge.   Just thinking out loud.

So... Kelly, can you adjust the survey?  Can you add abstain on all choices and add a pro or against on the color Pink?

Posted Image

#6 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Personally, I don't give a rip. Let me know how I can help the team, show me where the caches are, and please don't get in the way because I don't like running people over. :coolsmiley:

• Baytown Bert and Cyborg_TEK like this

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

#7 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the survey revision.

I'm fine with pink.  Its easily identifiable in the field, and that is the point isn't it? :stirpot:

#8 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

I a very new to this group and not sure what the competitions are for but I have a great t shirt/ banner guy I use for my kids sports. He is off royalton street near jpegs schocking discovery cache. He can make anything really quickly on the fly if we have the art. I heard a lot about flamagators and I thought that was a real thing. It seems a good way to unite the group is to be the combo unit of flamigators.

#9 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts
  • LocationThe Armpit of the Universe

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

No
Abstain because I really don't care.
Pink because it makes me think of boobies. I'm a fan of boobies.

I think the second mascot should be a zombie flamingo. Just sayin'.
  • ohl hockey guy likes this

#10 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

The unifying color (this year was hot pink) was a tremendous plus during the competition.  I could look across Charlie's Pasture as see who was on SETX.  If someone was approaching our position, we could know whether to help or not.

Which logo is not all that important, but a recurring theme would be nice.  

Posted Image

#11 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

I a very new to this group and not sure what the competitions are for...

My opinion.... Not that anyone asked...

Geocaching competition is an oxymoron.

I'm not a bleedin' heart PC liberal and I believe in winners and losers, but introducing competition into a community that exists because of the good will of the next guy who wants to hide a cache is counter productive in my not so humble opinion.

I go to the Texas Challenge to see folks from around the state that I don't usually get to see... But even after the competition is over, the groups stay segregated by region like a prison yard does by race. It's interesting to watch people drive as much as 6+ hours only to hang out with the people they see at local events. My new favorite meme is "The adventure begins where your comfort zone ends."

I stopped participating in TC after the wonderful display of sportsmanship in 2005. I wish Texas could host an annual Mega Event without the competition. Hopefully The Texas Roundup will become that event and TC will be left to the die hard competitive cachers.

#12 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:32 AM

This year there was no team that stood out as well as the SETX team....not even the NTX pirates.   That had to do with the pink and not what we were using as a logo.  SETX has been using the flamingo long enough that the other regions recognize us for it so if you are going for team recognitions, it doesn't make sense to change.  The flamingos over the years have made great ways to find the campsites of our teammates especially if our team coordinates campsites and tries to camp close together.  However, this year with more people staying in hotels, there weren't many if any flamingos seen at campsites.  With that said, I've always been a bit jealous of the fun theme of North Texas with their pirates and their Arrghs.  The flamingo has never given us that fun theme.  What does a flamingo do?...nothing.   A gator wouldn't be any different.  Unless we can come up with some fun themed mascot, I think we should leave things alone.  I'm sure we have some creative people out there that could come up with something fun.  I'm just not one of those creative people. If we do come up with something new, I'd like to stick with it for awhile and not be having to buy a new t-shirt every year. 

• JustKeely likes this
Posted Image

#13 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Wow! Do a google image search for Zombie Flamingo!

We came in dead last so the back from the dead mascot would be most appropriate.

search?q=zombie+flamingo&client=safari&h

#14 Team Four Paw

Team Four Paw

Site Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,306 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Zombie Gnomes ate your flamingo.... That's great!

il_fullxfull.439734133_jhn3.jpg

• green-eyed likes this

img.aspx?txt=Cache+Happy!&uid=0a8c0638-d

Help me help you.
Report abusive, offensive, and or objectionable message posts by clicking the Report link found in the lower right near the quote buttons.

Site Owner & Administrator, Houston GeoCaching Society | Exec. VP, Texas Geocaching Association

#15 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

This year there was no team that stood out as well as the SETX team....not even the NTX pirates.   That had to do with the pink and not what we were using as a logo.  SETX has been using the flamingo long enough that the other regions recognize us for it so if you are going for team recognitions, it doesn't make sense to change.  The flamingos over the years have made great ways to find the campsites of our teammates especially if our team coordinates campsites and tries to camp close together.  However, this year with more people staying in hotels, there weren't many if any flamingos seen at campsites.  With that said, I've always been a bit jealous of the fun theme of North Texas with their pirates and their Arrghs.  The flamingo has never given us that fun theme.  What does a flamingo do?...nothing.   A gator wouldn't be any different.  Unless we can come up with some fun themed mascot, I think we should leave things alone.  I'm sure we have some creative people out there that could come up with something fun.  I'm just not one of those creative people. If we do come up with something new, I'd like to stick with it for awhile and not be having to buy a new t-shirt every year.

Zombie flamingos do something. They bite.

Zombie Flamingo = Fun theme in my book, but I'm sorta sick and twisted so... Forgot where I was going with that. Oh look SHINEY!

#16 Muddy Buddies

Muddy Buddies

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts
  • LocationAlief

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Zombie flamingos do something. They bite.

Zombie Flamingo = Fun theme in my book, but I'm sorta sick and twisted so... Forgot where I was going with that. Oh look SHINEY!

So you want to go around biting other teams?     Just make sure we've all had our rabies shots. 

Posted Image

#17 Snoogans

Snoogans

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

http://thescarymarys...-dark-side.html

#18 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

I brought the subject up last year about either combining mascots with SETXGang or coming up with a new one.. hence the Flamingator comments. I got a huge backlash on FB and truly felt that I had been flung to the wolves. 2Katz, good luck with talking with SETXGang.

My .02.

I like the flamingo, it's been around a while and we are "known" for it

Pink is a color that is easily recognized as SETX. I like pink.

I will go with whatever the majority wants in regards to the SETX team mascot for the Challenge. 

I will still proudly display all of my pink mascots during the camping events I host and also any time that I camp.

#19 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,847 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

I like the idea of the Flamingos to designate SETX campsites -- that's how they got started in the first place. I think we should keep that portion of it, but I'd be open to something else for a team mascot/shirts/bandanas, etc.
img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#20 ProMed Rick

ProMed Rick

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationOrangefield, TX

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

I feel like I hold some portion of the resposibility for the Flamingator and the chaos that it started last year. It was meant as a joke and nothing more. The SETX Gang was started in early 2005 with the first First Monday in Beaumont Event and has been carried on by BizzyB & Spair Tire ever since, someone had the banner made up with the gator and it became the defacto mascot of the group.

When this topic came up last year those in the Gang who spoke up wanted to keep the SETX Gang as a seperate entity, many others as many on here have said about this had no opinion either way. I see the SETX Gang as our local group and just a portion of the larger SETX Challenge Team, I see no difference in our group and Houston's Night Time Ninjas. Many of our people, especially those who were around from early on still proudly display their pink flamingos at their campsites.

Does the overall group really need a mascot? I personally like the pink shirts / bandannas as the identifying / uniting symbol and would like to see it continue, it connects back to the unity from long before I started caching. Why couldn't any subgroups that desired have pink shirts made up with any imagry the chose and still be a part of the larger SETX Team.

With all that said.... I am firmly in the Snoogans camp that would like to see the extinction of the Challenge altogether.

• ohl hockey guy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users