13 replies to this topic

#1 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

Here are my tentative plans:  Leaving Wednesday evening, Mary 22 at 7PM (after work) from the Reliant Stadium part of town.  I am driving and looking for possible caching/travel buddies to share gas, driving and fun.  IF I get to share the trip, then I figure that we will drive and cache the next 36 hours on our way to Florida.  Get a hotel about 30-40 minutes away from Ground Zero to save on $$$ and keep it for Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings.  That allows to spend all day Friday and Saturday in Lakeland, FL. 

Then I was planning on starting the return trip on Sunday morning, May 27, find a hotel for the night along the way and get back to Houston on Monday, May 28.  WORK Starts again on Tuesday morning.

Also, the TXGA Board is discussing the possibility of hosting an event in Florida on Friday morning early early OR Saturday night late late.  Only in the discussion stages at this point since we still have a little time to submit it.

SO:  

1) contact me directly if you want to join up  (txdrmwvr@gmail.com)

2) Let me know if you have ideas for locations or themes for a mini-event (something between a Flash mob and a regular event) so that we can show our Texas Spirit. (gfoster@texasgeocaching.com)

3) Post on this topic your general travel plans so we can figure out when and where for all of us to hook up.

#2 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

I will be going, but not sure what my travel looks like.

Love the idea of local event.  

Posted Image

#3 Nov64

Nov64

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts
  • LocationWillis, Texas

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

Here are my tentative plans:  Leaving Wednesday evening, Mary 22 at 7PM (after work) from the Reliant Stadium part of town.  I am driving and looking for possible caching/travel buddies to share gas, driving and fun.  IF I get to share the trip, then I figure that we will drive and cache the next 36 hours on our way to Florida.  Get a hotel about 30-40 minutes away from Ground Zero to save on $$$ and keep it for Thursday, Friday & Saturday evenings.  That allows to spend all day Friday and Saturday in Lakeland, FL. 

Then I was planning on starting the return trip on Sunday morning, May 27, find a hotel for the night along the way and get back to Houston on Monday, May 28.  WORK Starts again on Tuesday morning.

Also, the TXGA Board is discussing the possibility of hosting an event in Florida on Friday morning early early OR Saturday night late late.  Only in the discussion stages at this point since we still have a little time to submit it.

SO:  

1) contact me directly if you want to join up  (txdrmwvr@gmail.com)

2) Let me know if you have ideas for locations or themes for a mini-event (something between a Flash mob and a regular event) so that we can show our Texas Spirit. (gfoster@texasgeocaching.com)

3) Post on this topic your general travel plans so we can figure out when and where for all of us to hook up.

From the stories I have heard of TDW road trips ... anyone who goes with TDW make sure all your shots are updated ... you have a list of bails bondsman handy .... You must not have any fears.  But you will have some best geostories around.  :2funny: :2funny:  :2funny:  

Posted Image

#4 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

That sounds like sooo much fun but I will be visiting with my son who will be in for 2 weeks from S Korea!! yahoo

#5 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,994 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

Why is it a possibility and not considered a done deal save for the where and when?

Posted Image

#6 Texas Dreamweaver

Texas Dreamweaver

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Texas

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

Why is it a possibility and not considered a done deal save for the where and when?

Just looking for the right group of folks who are as crazy as I am. Oops, time to take the green pills.

#7 idcacher

idcacher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPanama City, Florida

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:01 PM

The Florida groups are really socking in events on Friday and Thursday, so one SAturday may stand out. I'm driving down from sunny Panama City, Florida early Friday morning. A short five hours or so for me.

img.aspx?txt=Caching+and+Hiking.&uid=c08

#8 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

I night time event would be cool.. along the lines of cow tipping of years past.  I took a quick look and there doesn't seem to be any good night caches near lakeland.   The closest that looks good, might be the pixie stuff about 93 miles north.   

Anyone want to go hide a good night cache in advance and show 'em how it's done?   (No, I am not raising my hand to do it.. but I think you would be great at it.)

• cachestacker likes this
Posted Image

#9 TAZ427

TAZ427

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSugar Land, TX

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

I got approve from my ever loving wife :smitten:  (after lying my arse off about how sane of a cacher TDW is, after all he's the VP :2funny: )

Now, I'm off to go register before time runs out.

• ohl hockey guy likes this

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

there doesn't seem to be any good night caches near lakeland.

There may be some very good reasons there aren't a lot of night caches in Florida...
We're heading to Orlando this weekend and may be sleeping in the tub for cover.

Edited by bbqbob2, 10 April 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#11 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

How big are the tubs in Florida?  :angel:

TXGA SETX Representative

#12 georeyna

georeyna

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationH-Town

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Well, I think Patty, Trea and I might just need to race to Florida against Taz and TDW.  Umm, TDW, are you gonna volunteer for the dunking booth at Geowoodstock?  My pitching arm is on ice but I am sure it will be much better in May!  :teasing:

#13 bbqbob2

bbqbob2

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationSEHo

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

How big are the tubs in Florida?  :angel:

Bert, don't make me get ugly...wait, that ship has sailed

#14 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members