13 replies to this topic

#1 KeyResults

KeyResults

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • LocationTomball

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

This is my personal thank you to all of you who had a hand in making my 3rd Texas Challenge the best yet!

A very special thank you to: 

TravellingGeek, TeamFourPaw, GSGuru, HoustonControl, Eagles1181, ChefKimmo, Davarle, Puzzle team, Communications team, and so many others who shuttled, brought stuff, moved stuff, scheduled stuff, and made this thing happen. Bravo! You are the best!

- We should be very proud of ourselves. Our SETX group collectively brought many thousands of dollars to the So Texas area's economy. Likely matching the sum total of all other teams' spending combined!

- We played the game fair and square and without having to apologize to anybody for anything.

- We acquired many new friends and acquaintances!

- We learned many new ways to hide caches in plain sight ! (though some, like me, learned a little late in the game )

- To the folks responsible for hiding the difficulty 4's in Charlies Pasture: #@$%#!#$% !!! :-)

I've heard many great stories about individual experiences and discoveries at this spectacular event hosted by a ridiculously small but committed group of people in So. Texas. I look forward to hearing all of your stories and memorable experiences at first opportunity. 

Finally, a very special and sincere thank you to the South Texas team who put this amazing and unique geocaching event together! The hides were AWESOME! The events were AWESOME! The Food was AWESOME! The weather, the people, just everything overall...AWESOME! Well done. Very well done.

For everybody and anybody I left off this list, please accept my sincerest apologies for the oversight. I love ya man!

• Baytown Bert, 2katz and Huff-Suter like this
Why am I all sweatty and late? Umm...

#2 gsguru

gsguru

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Great wording....

I, too, had a fabulous time. Thanks to EVERYONE!!

#3 ohl hockey guy

ohl hockey guy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts
  • LocationFriendswood, TX

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

Ditto

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 kianlo

kianlo

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • LocationSugar Land

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well put, Kenny. We had a great time hunting and got lots of ideas for new cache containers. Kudos to Diane and the rest of the crew who worked behind the scenes.

Our team definitely gets a 1st place for team spirit and working together.  

We had a BLAST! Can't wait for next year.

#5 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

I was initially concerned about the "compactness" of the pavilion area and Event Central (from looking at it on Google Earth, nonetheless), but that turned out to be a non-issue.  The venue was great and the town even more wonderful.  There was plenty of room for everyone and parking really wasn't a problem.  I really enjoyed being down there and getting to explore all the corners of Port Aransas -- and I'm not even a "beach person"!  There were a few bumps and hiccups, but all-in-all the host team did a wonderful job.

OK, maybe next time they can spring for a new mike for their PA system. :notme:

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#6 Mr Muddy Buddy

Mr Muddy Buddy

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts
  • LocationThe Middle of Nowhere, in the Great State of Confusion

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Nice write-up, Kenny.  

This was our 9th TC to attend.  We've gone from deer-eyed newbies to "legends" (as EWB puts it).

I've come to realize that this "legend" can no longer keep up with the younger cachers....thacatfish and blindzman put me and HC to shame. We were on bikes, they were on foot.  They were kind enough to take pity on us and find several of the caches and hand them off as we rolled up behind them.  

As always, we spent way too much time on several DNF's (only 5, but it really ate up the time.  We did find one just before the end with the help of Kenny)

Posted Image

#7 TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

TravelingGeek

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

I really look forward to the challenge every year.  We played hard, we played true.  I wouldn't have it any other way.

It truly was a team effort and we should all be proud.... and block time for it again next year. 

Woot!

Posted Image

#8 2katz

2katz

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • LocationSpring

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Kenny - a man of few (not) words, who speaks from the heart.    I wouldn't have wanted the team to play any other way, but fair, honest and open to all who wish to participate.

A HUGE HATS OFF to everyone who had any part in making the event a success!!    Cachers, planners, puzzlers, geeks..... EVERYONE!      :cheers:       O0  O0

Posted Image

#9 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

I wasn't there, but I want to put my 2 cents worth in... 2 cents!

TXGA SETX Representative

#10 HoustonControl

HoustonControl

Charter Member

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts
  • LocationBaytown

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

I especially enjoyed talking to Baytown Bert on the phone, trying to play middleman to sort out a T-shirt order issue, while they were calling roll and making announcements for the start of the competition.  O0

img.aspx?txt=What+in+the+Hell?&uid=1dd8c

#11 stirfrie2005

stirfrie2005

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationKaty

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Well said! I had a blast at my 3rd challenge and I'm looking forward to next year. :)

#12 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

I'm sorry that we missed it. It sounds like everyone had a blast even if there is controversy over scoring.  By the way, has there ever NOT been controversy over scoring? :stirpot:

It sounds like we'll probably be able to make it next year--I hope the date works out.  We have had a blast at every Texas Challenge that we have attended.

#13 OHail

OHail

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, AL

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

I was glad I was able to attend.  I had fun.  It was made even better because of meeting so many folks and now being able to put some faces to the names I've seen on the forums.   Nice to visit again with several others I met before.  Thanks, y'all.

There is no adventure without risk.

#14 TexasWriter

TexasWriter

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

This was our first challenge event, and we (CornDoll and I) had a great time. We went down to PA the weekend before to get a peek around and find a JMCz hide or 50 in preparation for the event. That was lots of fun, and then we ended up clearing the rest of the upper end of the island after the event. We got to make a fun dash on foot for a new cache that popped while we were at the team planning meeting (note the sudden disappearing act), and we had a couple of "firsts" while we were there (I'll spare the details). We loved meeting all the people, putting faces to SETX cacher names that we'd previously only seen on logs or emails, buying geocoins and containers, meeting our two biggest caching suppliers in person (Drives and Space Coast), swapping pathtags, attending our first CITO, and much more. We especially enjoyed caching the challenge event with 2katz and KeyResults. Definitely kindred spirits. There were times we soared, times we crashed and burned, and everything in between, but we did it all as a team. I enjoy the community aspect of geocaching probably more than anything, and the event was a great opportunity for an extrovert like me to engage my fellow cachers. I'm looking forward to next year in Bastrop where we will be back in more of our element (woods versus beach and sand) so that we can continue to conduct ourselves with fairness and honesty and still thrash the competition. The way I look at it is that since they didn't credit our team's FTF's in the scoring, and the margin between third and fourth place was so close, we figure SETX came in third. :laugh:

Thanks to everyone who made this event work for SETX. Now, back to scouring the horizon for FTF's....

Deep Woods Off....my most commonly used cologne...

img.aspx?txt=View+my+profile&uid=90f8013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users