• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Hi there!  I am fairly new at geocaching and therefore am still encountering new situations where I am not sure what to do.  Today I spent some time trying to find a cache and couldn't find it.  I did find an electrical panel steel plate on the ground next to where I think the cache was supposed to be.  Then I was "helped out" by a security guard from across the stree who saw me, gps in hand and 3 kids roaming an abandoned field and knew what we were up to.  He said the puzzle (or something) was missing that it had fallen off behind the pole and no one could find it now.  I picked up the plate (small magnet inside it) and placed it back on the pole next to where it had been found.  I couldn't find a log on the ground.  My plan is to get a little baggie and put a new log in it and replace it tomorrow morning.  Is that helpful or annoying for the CO? 

#2 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

I think replacing logs is a useful and helpful thing to do.  I suggest that you indicate it in your log, and I would send a message to the CO.  If it turns out that you are mistaken, and for the sake of argument let's say that you found a decoy and not the actual cache, then the CO can let you know that you are mistaken.

#3 Baytown Bert

Baytown Bert

Short fat dude with good hygiene

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationBaytown, Texas

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:44 PM

What TheNorman said.

TXGA SETX Representative

#4 cachestacker

cachestacker

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts
  • LocationClear Lake

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

E-mail the CO now before you take action.  The replacement may be very much appreicated.  But if a puzzle, you may be off base and CO may want to take care of it instead.

When you KNOW you have the cache and it's just a wet log, etc. replacing it in a baggie is usually very much appreciated by 95% of COs.

Posted Image

#5 SockPuppet

SockPuppet

Actor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,777 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

The only safe replacement is probably a new log if the old one can no longer be used because it got wet.

Posted Image

#6 rozowski5

rozowski5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

I sent an email to TeamCull about it. I know he has a lot of caches in the area so I thought it would just be quicker to fix it myself.  But - then I remembered I don't know what the heck I am doing so I thought I should ask.  I was reading in the forum yesterday about throwdown caches and realized I was kind of doing the same thing.  Thanks so much for your replies.  BTW - Does anyone have the Culls phone number?  I am not sure he checks his email much becuase I have emailed him before and not heard back from him. 

#7 TheNorman

TheNorman

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, Texas

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

I don't have a phone number and I think he is at the Texas Challenge today--go Flamingators!

#8 Thot

Thot

Funtime Advisor

• Senior Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

That question didn't seem mangled to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users